The Christmas haul
Sorry, no time for pics. For the most part, everything I received was utilitarian in nature. However, before I get into the material part of the holiday, I spent the day watching my kids open gifts and play with their toys. We all spent the day together, enjoying each others company. It was a great Christmas.
Alright, now for the meat...
I got 2 rubbermaid drawer sets
some pastel chalks
a variety of wood dowels
a new xacto knife set
a magnifying visor
an assortment of adhesives.

The other gift has not arrived yet, as it was ordered last minute, the Bowser Light Pacific kit.

The best gift I could have received was to spend a nice day with my family. I hope everyone else got what they wanted.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
Sounds like a great haul for the scratchbuilder! Some one knows what you like! Smile I received this terrific full color photo book of Penn Central operations in New England and Upstate NY!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goldenspike.us/si/MS436.html">http://www.goldenspike.us/si/MS436.html</a><!-- m -->

Ralph
My wife got me a new Xacto knife set, some sanding sticks, plaster cloth, 2 containers of lightweight hydrocal and a gift certificate to Niagara Hobby (a local hobby store)... she said she wanted to get me another engine but didn't know the difference between DC and DCC and what I would have wanted, etc...

Ralph: The PC book sounds cool! I was a kid around the time PC (and the rest) became Conrail, and seeing the CR blue engines in my backyard I naturally was a CR fan, however, I faintly remember PC, and to this day I still love the logo and plain and simple black locos and the green cars... where I live was quite the rail hub in the 70's and 80's and actually it is making quite a comeback with CSX, but we had PRR and NYC here, and then PC as well as Lehigh Valley and Erie Lackawanna, but I always thought PC looked the best!

--Rob.
iis612 Wrote:The best gift I could have received was to spend a nice day with my family.

You got that right. Me, wife, our two kids, my brother, his wife and two kids, our "kid" sister (who is pushing 34 - scary how time flies Goldth), my dad and my sister-in-law's dad - we had the closest family living nearby gathered here on Christmas Eve, which is the big day here in Norway.

That, plus knowing that my wife's brothers and sister, their families and her parents are fine, and seeing my oldest son (who is 10) making the conscious decision to not give his little brother a good whack on the head, and instead just saying "it's all right - the important thing is family, not toys", when little bro broke the very cool (but fragile) flying insect toy big bro just had gotten from grandpa, are the most important Christmas gifts I received.

But I also got a very much appreciated no-name double action airbrush from my brother, along with a can of propellant, so I can start experimenting a little with misting on paint to engines, as soon as I get a chance (on Saturday - all stores are closed from 1 pm on Christmas Eve until 9 am on December 27th) to pick up some suitable paint for airbrushing from my local hobby store.

Smile,
Stein
RobL Wrote:My wife got me a new Xacto knife set, some sanding sticks, plaster cloth, 2 containers of lightweight hydrocal and a gift certificate to Niagara Hobby (a local hobby store)...

I wish women were that easy to shop for Smile
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
When you reach retirement and you're past a certain age, you decide you'll buy what you need or want, when you want it,and not wait until maybe someone will give it to you as a gift. My wife and I stopped exchanging Christmas gifts about five years ago. When Christmas rolls around, there usually isn't any surprises left or things to buy the other. I guess with us, Christmas is an all-year thing. Ya can't beat that. Thumbsup Thumbsup Now with the rest of the family, especially the grandkids, well, that's a different story.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Not bad here..A X-Acto knife set,a X-Acto deluxe craft tool set,a needle file set and a jewelers screw driver set..I actually needed these as a lot of my modeling tools are well worn or missing..
----------------

Don,I agree..Folks our age can't wait till the 25th of December hoping we will get that item..

I suppose us older folk helps the economy all year.... Icon_lol
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I have to agree with Don too. My wife picked up her own stuff, and I picked up mine as well.
The only suprises are anniversaries.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
The best stuff I got was for a related hobby - photography.

Some camera accesories, including a NICE flash diffuser, but best of all, several books, including a couple on Photoshop.

Now, when I get back to the layout next week, I might even be able to start posting pics that look decent.
Jess

President and Janitor of the Arenac & Southern RR
hope everyone had a great christmas! for once i didnt have to work and had one of the most relaxing christmas's i ever had.

my haul was very good too. i got a ho scale csx blueline ac6000 locomotive and a dozen csx lbf bethgon coal hoppers.

todd
nachoman Wrote:I wish women were that easy to shop for Smile

My wife is overly easy to buy for - this year she got a ball mount and ball (easy guys, trailer stuff), chemical heat packs, cookie trays, candy and the like. These are the kinds of practical things she actually likes, though I struggle each year trying to reconcile such things with the hobby stuff on my list! Smile

That said, she gave me a couple of Kalmbach books (multi deck layouts and backdrop painting) and about half a dozen jars of floquil paints. The best was a Design Preservation storefront kit that she and my daughter assembled and painted while I was out of town for 5 days.

Matt
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio
I can't say I got a lot of hobby stuff this year. We bought a new car for my wife's Polar Express (2 weeks ago) and a Galloping Goose (a month ago). I had marked a bunch of stuff in the Lee Valley tool catalog but forgot about it every time she asked! One of my friends gave me 2 cars (6 wheel milk tank and a 7 plank mineral wagon) and I gave him an Ott lamp. (For sale at Costco for less than the price of a bulb at Michael's). SIL gave me a cast iron loco on a bracket with a dinner bell under it and a tin box that looks like a loco.
We had my family and her family for the day and got away with no major disagreements. One nephew drove in from Saskatchewan.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I'm still waiting on stuff to follow me to Portland. So far, though...

From one friend I got:

* A [censored] Railroad switch lock
* Fugitives and Refugees: A Walk in Portland, Oregon by Chuck Palahniuk
* The Best American Travel Writing edited by Anthony Bourdain
* Some loot from the new WES commuter train opening near Portland
* Breakfast in Bridgetown: The definitive guide to Portland's favorite meal by Paul Gerald
* Walker Evans 55, a portfolio of some of his photography

From another friend I got a pile of paperwork from [censored] Railroad including a track chart and some other odds and ends.

From another friend I got some DVDs, a two-disc set that he produced of his 2008 railfan travels and volume three of the Penn Central Odyssey from Green Frog. Plus he's sending some more stuff out to me.

And I'm still waiting on two other cartons to show up out here from other friends, too.
Things, last for a short time. Memories, last forever. For Christmas, this year, I had my four daughters, in one place, at the same time. Breakfast with them was all the Christmas gift I could ask for.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
railohio Wrote:I'm still waiting on stuff to follow me to Portland. So far, though...

From one friend I got:

* A [censored] Railroad switch lock
* Fugitives and Refugees: A Walk in Portland, Oregon by Chuck Palahniuk
* The Best American Travel Writing edited by Anthony Bourdain
* Some loot from the new WES commuter train opening near Portland
* Breakfast in Bridgetown: The definitive guide to Portland's favorite meal by Paul Gerald
* Walker Evans 55, a portfolio of some of his photography

From another friend I got a pile of paperwork from [censored] Railroad including a track chart and some other odds and ends.

From another friend I got some DVDs, a two-disc set that he produced of his 2008 railfan travels and volume three of the Penn Central Odyssey from Green Frog. Plus he's sending some more stuff out to me.

And I'm still waiting on two other cartons to show up out here from other friends, too.

Just curious - which railroad is the one which name gets replaced by "censored" ? Goldth

Grin,
Stein