DL&W along the Delaware.
Took a little trip to get in some end of the year fishing with Tomustang and my son. We went where the DL&W (now NS) runs along the river, just south of the water gap. It is a seldom used line but just as we were about to leave a train came through.

The first shots are of the abandoned concrete tower that sits on the line.she was in pretty good shape, considering all the overgrowth and lack of windows.            
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Wow, nice outing! Fishing and trains!

Okay, gotta have more photos of the train and the fish. And the scenery.

Is the old tower a concrete structure?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
When we first showed up a cut of cars was sitting on the siding.    

At the switch at the south end of the siding there was this rerailer looking thing bolted down near the switch points. Can any one shed a little light on it.    

with some amazing luck just as we were leaving 2 NS units pushed in a new cut of cars and removed the old one.    
I do like that tower! Shame to see it all overgrown but it is a relic of another time.
Ralph
She's concrete Gary, No fish to be caught, just a train Cheers .    

My son making a cast.
[Image: 20101127131027.jpg]

I believe that's called MT. Tammy. Here you are looking east with New Jersey across the river.
[Image: 20101127114409.jpg]
[Image: 011.jpg] An old name reused.

[Image: 018-2.jpg] a nearby Paper mill.
Great photos, and I'm jealous that we don't have any rivers or hills like those. Really doesn't matter that there were no fish, just getting out there is what counts. Glad you got a chance to be out in nature with your son.

What kind of load is on that flat car with the short ends?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Since you didn't give a location, a mystery was a foot.
Thank God for the ineternet....
I did some research, first with Bing maps(Don't worry..I didn't pin down your favorite fishing spot) and found the tower. Its called Slateford Junction Tower.
More Googling, and discovered that the sideing was put in the early 2000"s so the new Delaware-Lackawana could interchange with NS(Hence the NS pushing cars into the siding). In 2005 there was a movement to restore the tower, and by the looks of your pics, it didn't get very far. Maybe because of the interchange. More research revealed a website(<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thebluecomet.com/eldlw5.html">http://www.thebluecomet.com/eldlw5.html</a><!-- m -->) of the route from an earlier time. With pictures of towers of the same design and construction along the route. Along with pictures of Slateford Tower.
I was trying to see if I could find a picture of Slateford Tower, when it was still in operation.
I guess more digging is involved.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
e-paw Wrote:I believe that's called MT. Tammy. Here you are looking east with New Jersey across the river.
[Image: 20101127114409.jpg]

I've driven down the east side of the Delaware. I chose to take the scenic route from I-80, to Freehold township. ( I-80, US-46, N.J.-31, I-78 east to Jersey Pike )
There's some really beautiful country there, Eastern Pa., and Western N.J..
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I've often been told by those from "out west" that Pennsylvania's mountains are not mountains at all, but are barely "hills" and are more like "mounds."

Granted, they are not the Rockies, they don't soar into the heavens, but by God, they presented the early railroads with some of the steepest grades out of narrow valleys in the country!

Plus ... they exhibit Inimitable beauty!

I'm glad you got to see what so many from that area just take for granted, because they see it every day and to them it is commonplace.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Besides, our mountains are older and wiser than those young'uns out West! Icon_lol

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
Yeah! What you said! 8-)
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln