SP Woodchip Gon (class G-100-25)
Howdy folks!

I could not decide what car to build next, so I just build another (the second) G-100-25. This time, as promised I am taking progress photos. What you need to know is that my goal is not building a award-winning contest model. These cars are meant to fill my roster as quickly as possible. So you will see me taking shortcuts. Goldth

First, all main components were cut from styrene sheet. The picture shows pieces for the bottom, spacers, one end and one side.    

I started with the bottom which features a sandwich design to hold and hide two pieces of sheet lead.

Next, the ends were made, The prototype ends are corrugated sheet metal. To simplify things I just took a solid sheet and laminated strips on booth sides. The strip with the grip is a spacer. Note, that the strips overlap the base sheet. I usually cut everything a bit larger than required and sand it down for a fit later.

This is to be continued..
Jens
Each side is made by two sheets laminated together. The picture shows me, preparing the outer sheet to accept grabirons (in a later step). I drilled holes for the rivets and glued them in. After all rivets in place, I drill smaller holes right below the rivets. These will accomodate the grabs.

I join outer and inner side panels and glue sides, ends and bottom together to a open top box.    

Jens
[quote="SP1"]Each side is made by two sheets laminated together. The picture shows me, preparing the outer sheet to accept grabirons (in a later step). I drilled holes for the rivets and glued them in. After all rivets in place, I drill smaller holes right below the rivets. These will accomodate the grabs.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
who makes those rivets?
nice build by the way! Thumbsup
Santa Fe all the way
Greetings from Germany!
X 3829 Wrote:who makes those rivets?

Tichy Train Group. Grandt Line would be another brand.
Jens
Thanx alot 2285_
Santa Fe all the way
Greetings from Germany!
This looks like it will be an interesting build, and it's coming along nicely ! Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Nice build,very useful intel for other scales too.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Hello Jens,
welcome here in forum - and greetings from Dresden to ???
Your gondola makes a fine impression to me. I do not like to build with styrene but your project has taken a good start.
Let see us the next steps. Good success!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Thanks all.

Bernhard,
you can substitute the "???" for Stuttgart. Btw, it was you, that made me coming over here. Elsewere you wrote, that here is a fine community with a strong scratchbuilding section. And I do not regret risking a look. xD
Jens
Welcome, Jens!

Welcome

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Welcome Jens Welcome

I must say, I appreciate your craft scratch building in styrene. In the photo with all the parts laid out, I thought to myself, "This guy knows what he is doing!" :!:

I will continue to watch you build ... styrene is a great material to build with and you've got a very good grasp on the techniques necessary to build with the material. And it also appears you have some engineering background or at least you have the ability to think things out logically.

Yes, I will continue to watch, I'm always looking to learn new building techniques, and my guess is that I will if I monitor this thread! Thumbsup
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Very nice thread. Thumbsup

Thaks for showing the photos and giving some commentary on your building techniques. And the car looks great so far.
Thanks again, Galen, biL and Gary.

A little progress was made. I started adding details. Again, I did not try to cut correct sized triangles. I rather added oversized pieces of strip and removed the unwanted material when the glue was dry.

P5se Camelback Wrote:And it also appears you have some engineering background or at least you have the ability to think things out logically.
Must be the latter one, because I am a stinkin' truck driver. Icon_lol
Jens
SP1 Wrote:What you need to know is that my goal is not building a award-winning contest model. These cars are meant to fill my roster as quickly as possible.

I'd like to see an award winning build if this is just a "quickie", great job so far Cheers
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Hi Jens, welcome to The Gauge! Very interesting project and a great start! One question though. Where did you get the measurement you need to build that car? Do you have a model of that car and took measurements from that or do you have another source?
Kurt