What's under the tree?
Hi all, I thought it be fun to read what people here have asked for (rail related) for christmas, in some cases perhaps already unpacked it early?

In my case, I've asked (I don't know if I will get though, I left my wife a series of clues and internet links to browse) an Athearn Genesis GP15-1 undecorated (want to paint it in CFNR colors..)..
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
I did ask my wife for one huge engine for my little ISL and got an Athern Genesis BNSF SD70ACe last week. The engine is close, but only close!, to the beauty of my wife Wink
Reinhard
Well, I do know that i'm getting a Walthers Viewliner and one of the new Northwest Shortline powered trucks. I'm probably going to put it in my Silverliner IIIs, though i hope to get more for my Arrow IIIs. I might even get a huge B36 Peacemaker (last American Piston powered bomber).

My girlfriend is making me take her to a hobby shop as well so that i can pick what i want. I'm probably going to grab another SEPTA AEM7 Electric (#2301) since then i'd have a full schedule for SEPTA push pulls (due to power constraints, only 2 can run on any one line, and even then, the both of them would prevent any MUs from running).

If not that, I'll grab an undecorated AEM7 and kitbash it to an AEM7-AC
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Back in the late 80's, when we lived only blocks away from one of the most comprehensive madel railraod hobby shops I've ever been in (Hennings Hobbies in Lansdale, PA) my "then-wife, always-the-mother-of-my-daughter" would go in and say, Hello, Harry. What's Bill been looking at lately" and bring something home that I wanted and was super-pleased to receive.

These days, I'm not married, I live alone, you gents are my friends (well, then there are the guys from the model railroad club - but I know all of you better than I know them,) and my daughter (the 4.0 GPA college student) is spending every spare penny on her 10-month-old son's first Christmas. So I am considering the two most recent hobby purchases, the OMI Reading D8sd 4-4-0 Camelback that I bought a few month's back and the OMI Reading Company GP39-2 that I got recently my Christmas gifts.

It's nice when the gift you get makes you happy! Big Grin 2285_
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I don't ask for anything, I'd rather see my family get stuff for xmas. My thing is seeing them happy and getting things they want.

I was never big on getting presents from people on holidays, don't even celebrate my b-day
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
I don't ask for anything because I tend to be very particular about the things I want. I tried to tell my wife I wanted a Weller Digital Soldering Station one year and she looked at me like I had two heads. It's more for the my girls these days any how.

Happy Festivus for the rest of us!
tetters Wrote:I don't ask for anything because I tend to be very particular about the things I want.
Same here. But my very understanding wife will always ask "If there's something you want or need for the model railroad - order it!". Haven't done that this year as I'm trying to stop buying things on impulse for a while! Need to wait and see if there is something I really need first.

Years ago, I told the wife, family and friends, to please not buy me model railroad or railroad related items for Christmas. After getting a dozen train clocks and things like Atlas water tower or station kits that I had absolutely no use for I felt I was doing everyone a favor.

Christmas for me is really about the family.

Merry Christmas All!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
FCIN Wrote:
tetters Wrote:I don't ask for anything because I tend to be very particular about the things I want.
Same here. But my very understanding wife will always ask "If there's something you want or need for the model railroad - order it!". Haven't done that this year as I'm trying to stop buying things on impulse for a while! Need to wait and see if there is something I really need first.

Years ago, I told the wife, family and friends, to please not buy me model railroad or railroad related items for Christmas. After getting a dozen train clocks and things like Atlas water tower or station kits that I had absolutely no use for I felt I was doing everyone a favor.

Christmas for me is really about the family.

Merry Christmas All!

Yeah, when i started out, i would get things like that. I have a weird mini-GG1 thing that was some sort of Lionel collectible, a Lionel desk light that has a NYC Hudson without a tender (by design of the lamp, not because it was missing), not to mention a ton of cheap Model power rail cars. I also got a train clock Icon_lol

Lately though, some of my family have asked for part numbers, and they've actually figured out some things like Acela coached and such.

These days though, i just tell people exactly what i want, and if they can't find it, thats OK.
tetters Wrote:I don't ask for anything because I tend to be very particular about the things I want. I tried to tell my wife I wanted a Weller Digital Soldering Station one year and she looked at me like I had two heads. It's more for the my girls these days any how.

Happy Festivus for the rest of us!

ah, yes, the airing of grievances!
tomustang Wrote:I don't ask for anything, I'd rather see my family get stuff for xmas. My thing is seeing them happy and getting things they want.

I was never big on getting presents from people on holidays, don't even celebrate my b-day

I am EXACTLY the same way. I always get my little brother (well, not so little he is 27 now) something model railroad or raiklroad related for Christmas though. This year, it is a UP Watch, since he always wears cheap ones at work (he works with me). Last year it was the Western Pacific #805-A FP7 that we have restored up at the museum by Intermountain before most retailers had them in stock and he went nuts over that one. Year before that it was a blueprint of UP 4-6-6-4 #3985 signed by the entire UP Steam crew before Conductor Reed Jackson and engineer Lynn Nystrom passed away, and he has it framed and matted in his bedroom. It's a REALLY nice piece. It just tickles me more to do stuff liek that for him than getting something myself. More fun. I've got plenty of RR toys. Goldth
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]
My wife and I have made shopping easy by sending each other emails with gift suggestions well in advance as Christmas or birthdays come up. The idea is we can choose from those suggestions and add surprises as well. Email makes it a little less direct than actually having a conversation about what we want...and we both have forgotten some of the things we mentioned,,,making it fun to get them later! When it comes to hobby gifts I provide specific information so it is the right sort of equipment for my time period, region, etc. That way we both know the gift will truly be appreciated and put to good use. Susan does the same for me when suggesting book titles she'd enjoy as presents.

Oh, I didn't have any railroad requests this time!

Ralph