"View active topics"
If it isn't too much trouble I would like to see a link to "view active topics" at the top of a thread. I have given up on "view new topics" because I was missing too many threads , and when you go to the active topics you have to remember to use the back arrow on your browser. I know it is a minor irritation so if it is too much trouble don't bother.
Charlie
Hi Charlie,

A short while ago, we had this discussion about Active Topics: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3659">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3659</a><!-- l -->

Does that address your request? There were some actual problems with it that seem to now be resolved, so if you've given up some time ago, perhaps things are now put right?

Andrew
Andrew, thanks for the reply. I followed that discussion all the way through. My problem seems to be with "view new posts" which can be directly affected by my computer, (cookies, etc). I have missed lots of posts because there were times when there would only be a few new posts show up, but if you go to view active topics you can see them all. I have quit using the view new posts because I have missed too many threads. I don't read all threads, but I try to get the ones that interest me. All the pages have a link back to "view new posts" and "view your posts" I was just wanting "view active posts" as an additional option.
I just noticed that your post in the weekly photo thread did not show in the view new posts on my computer and it was made at 9:30. it is only 11:30 am here now.

Charlie
Charlie, I have noticed the same thing with the "view new posts" function. It seems rather arbitrary in its determination of what is "new". Sometimes it omits threads I have read before, and sometimes it doesn't.

For me, a "view unread posts" function is less than desirable as I often read a post without commenting at that very moment, with the intent of going back later and posting a reply. Placing the "view active topics" alongside the "view your posts" and "view new posts" buttons on every page would be would be good.
The "arbitrariness" of the "view new posts" list I believe is due to the fact that when you come here and don't read all the new posts, it doesn't know that and figures it will show you all new posts since your last visit. That's not always true though if you come back before your time-out period and you haven't logged out. There is a time-out that says if your not active for a period of time and you haven't logged out, the forum software figures that you've left; so when you come back before that period expires, it figures you haven't left yet. If you actually log out, it know for sure that you've gone and will reset the list.

I don't know if Path can put all that on every page without it becoming crowded, or if he could even do that. We can always ask him to look at that.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I would guess that I use the "view new posts" button about 75% of the time, only because it is at the top of almost every page, while the "view active topics" is only on the board index page.

The 25% of the time when I use the "active topics" search is when the "new posts" search has seemingly gotten whacky on me, or I am not logged in.
I'm set to never log off, and the new posts looks different almost every time...just one of those things.
Charlie B Wrote:I'm set to never log off, and the new posts looks different almost every time...just one of those things.
Again, if you're not active here for that time-out period, which I think is 30 minutes (not really sure but I'll try to find out), even if your logged on, the "view new posts" list will update itself. Some people keep BB open on a browser tab, but if they don't do something like browse a thread or post something, they will also time out and the software will think they've gone away.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD