DIY mech Reefer sound unit circuit
In a way back MR there was a circuit for building a battery operated, mech reefer, sound unit. I had a copy but have mislaid it - does anyone happen to have it please?TIA
Shortliner:
That was in Railroad Model Craftsman. The date must have been around 20 years ago, based on what I was planning to do with it. I do remember it used a 555 chip -- I bought all the parts and they're sitting in a bag.
(Sorry, but I'm now 4 days away from my mags and heading off even farther.)
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Wasn't the 555 chip discontinued since that article appeared?
No, you can still get 555 and 556 timers. It was the LM3909 LED flasher that has been discontinued for a few years now. Other methods may give better results than the 555 though, like one of those recordable greeting cards loaded with the actual sound of a reefer mechanical unit.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
You just BETTER be glad that I never throw anything away!!!! Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

The only connection I'm not sure of is the "Blue line" connection of the Piezo Speaker (Red dot)

Piezo Element 1500-3000Hz
catalog #: 273-073

TLC555/TLC555CP LinCMOS Timer (8-Pin DIP)
Model: TLC555/TLC555CP Catalog #: 276-1718

0.1µF 50V Hi-Q Ceramic Disc Capacitor Pk/2
Catalog #: 272-135

ALL components were bought at Radio Shack. I think there is a variable resister that is needed, but I'm not sure. This was tossed in the junk box and the speaker was off the board, so i don't know if there is anything else missing, but I think it's complete as is. I ran it with 2 D cells in series Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Magic, Mikey - thank you very much. If anyone else has anything further please post
Jack - a great New Year to you all
shortliner Wrote:Magic, Mikey - thank you very much. If anyone else has anything further please post
Jack - a great New Year to you all
Build it as shown and let me know if it works Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I was just doing some surfing and found these. I know they can be found cheaper, but if you were to record the sound, then tell the player to loop, with some speaker additions I can see all kind of possibilities for sound here. Looks like it would easily fit a refer. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.shop4tech.com/item8627.html">http://www.shop4tech.com/item8627.html</a><!-- m -->
Charlie