Changing my Password
O.K.!

I'm not a Computer Geek. But I'm not computer illiterate either!

But ... I somehow screwed up my password and had to do the "Forgot My Password" thing to get back in here (but not before trying too many times to enter my password and being totally shut out!) So I was emailed a "temporary" password to get in ... great! I changed my password to something that I could actually remember (something other than "YIQB4XYZ44R9Q4" or something equally difficult to remember) and on my next visit, I typed in my new, "easier-to-remember" password and ... ah ... Ess Aiche Eye Tee ... Aiche Ee Double Hockey Sticks! Blocked again!

One more time with the "Forgot My Password" routine and then change the password to something even easier to remember. Same deal!

What gives!

Must I write the new 14 character alpha-numeric gymnastics on the case of my laptop in grease pencil ("China Marker" for those of you in Rio Linda) or is it possible to actually change my password and have it work the next time I try to enter the forum?
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
One thing we do not have, and we do not want to have is access to your password so I can't see what it is right now. I do have the power though to reset your password and give you a new one that you can, once again, Confusedhock: try to change. I don't know if that will make any difference, but we can try. I would ask you to try one other thing before we do that, and that is to go into your browser and clear you cache, cookies and possibly your browsing history. Once you log on here, you should be able to check "remember me" before you actually log on and you should be able to stay logged on until you chose to "log out". If that doesn't take care of your problem, PM me and will change your password to something temporary that you can change aftwards to whatever you want. If that doesn't work, we may have to put you against the wall and... 2285_ Shoot , but that rarely happens, we usually work things out before then. Eek

Let me know Bil, we don't need you to have any more frustrations than normal. Wallbang Wallbang
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
biL,

You can always do the "remember me" option. I have had that enabled on one of the computers I use to access The Gauge, and I have never had a problem - even accessing from different computers is unaffected.

You might try dumping your cache/history/cookies at the same time so that you can be (reasonably) sure that your browser is not using old information.

Andrew
A secret to hacking into computers at work: IT departments usually make employees change passwords about every 90 days, and rules dictate they include weird characters and not be easy to remember words or numbers. So, most employees take a Post-It® note, write their password, and stick it under their keyboard or in the top drawer of their desk. So, if you need to "hack" someone's computer, just look under their keyboard or in their desk drawer 357

With your problem - make absolutely double sure you don't have things like caps lock on, or aren't forgetting to capitalize a letter. I don't know how many times I got locked out because I forgot the first letter of my password was capital Wallbang
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
I have been around compiuters since we used a "terminal to talk to the Sperry 1100 mainframe in a climate controlled room down the hall.

Then, one day, we got a "Personal Computer." It had an 8080 chip, a single 360kB 5 1/4" floppy drive (so much kooler than those big 10" floppies that we used at the "1100 Terminal." You had to format floppies before you could use them. Hard drive? What's that? You had to load the word processor program from a 360kB floppy and then save your weekly report to a different one. If you wanted to do something special, like figure model railroad grade percentages, you had to write a program to do that using BASIC.

I have taken every precaution. My passwords all use caps, lower case, numbers and symbols and are at least 11 characters long. I normally have no problems with passwords.

My Norton internet Security cleans out my cache, my cookies and my history every morning when I boot up. I never use "remember me," and in order to access my Norton Internet Security Program, you need a 12 character password that uses all of the characters listed above. Between what my job was in the Army and my time working as a Product Designer in major computer companies, I am very security conscious!

I'll just have to keep trying to make it work until it does work. It's curious, though, that I can sign in every day for a week with that password that is included in my "Forgot My Password" email reply, but I can change it, sign out, and immediately try to sign back in and ... it ain't happ'nin'!

But I'll keep on pluggin' ... I don't give up without a fight!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln