Mi-Jack Container Stacker (+ Bonus Content)
Hi all,

I am preparing my next project. I was collecting suitable photos from the internet since years and ended up with a handful or so. I was not able to obtain any dimensional drawings or such. So, if you have something that will help - please let me know. Otherwise I have to guess the dimensions...

Jens
Are you dead set on using a Mi-Jack?

V900 Caterpillars and Kalmar Forklifts are still in use. Best thing about these two is you can use the Walthers Kalmar Kit to make them
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Tom,
I already have a Kalmar Stacker and several more unbuilt kits stockpiled. I may convert one into a Caterpillar V900 later, although they are very similar to the Kalmars. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. But Kalmar Stackers look very european and what I am shooting for is something looking american. When I browse through those bigger US intermodal facilities using Bing or Google Streetview, I see Mi-Jack or LeTourneau stackers but no Kalmars. I already built a LeTourneau (but fitted log-handling equipment) - so for the sake of variety it has to be a Mi-Jack. And speaking of variety.. when I look onto all those layouts, I always see Kalmars (in contrast to the US prototype). Just another point to go for a Mi-Jack.
Jens
Went thru my Model Railroading magazines looking for an article by Doug Geiger who did a Piggypacker in HO scale.
Here's a scan of the completed model from Intermodal Modelers Guide vol 1. He references the Jan/Feb 1986 Model Railroading for photos and drawings of the model, unfortunately I don't have the mags that far back. He kitbashed an old Lima Models piggypacker and then scratchbuilt the grapples.
Model Railroading isn't around anymore but here's an old address and phone number where you used to be able to get back issues Model Railroading Magazine, 2600 S. Parker Rd, Suite 1-211, Aurora,CO 80014-1601, phone 888-338-1700.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Ha! I love this forum, incredible knowledge in here! Thanks alot Bruce, you made my day. 2285_
Jens
I think I might have that issue of MR. I will look and see. If so mabey it has the info you need.
lears2005 Wrote: I think I might have that issue of MR. I will look and see. If so maybe it has the info you need.

I am another who has been moving 2 1/2 metric tons of magazines back and forth across the country. (Of course, for each move, there is more magazine weight than the move before - it used to drive my former wife crazy - she couldn't figure where the additional weight was coming from! Big Grin Wink )

But I digress.

I, too, may have that issue ... I'll have to look. When I had no room for railroad, I read a lot and planned and wrote a lot. I think at one time I was getting every model railroad magazine in print! :oops: Icon_lol

I'll look tomorrow afternoon. :mrgreen:

It'd give me and excuse to use the new Kodak printer/scanner/copier that I gave myself for Christmas!

Edit: Corrected a typo that just jumped at me as I reviewed this thread.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
The 1986 backissues are sold out but I found a copy at railpup. But I'll wait a little bit before ordering. Its not about the costs, its because shipping takes forever. So, if you dont mind, dig through your old magazines if you find the time. It's very appreciated.
Jens
Jens,

Found this in some saved files, would this be of any help.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Bruce,

this is a scan of Model Railroader 8/1995 page 101. It shows the spreader assembly of a LeTourneau Stacker. I have that issue Big Grin
Jens
Jens,

At my last operating session there was a first time operator who was talking about a guy named Jens from Germany who had been corresponding with his friend on modeling a steel mill, would that be you?

Bruce
Probably yes, but I am not sure.
Jens
GOT IT!!!

I'm looking at it as we speak ... er ... write ... um ... type!

Model Railroading, Vol. 15, No. 5, January/February 1986.

Page 54 ... "The Piggypacker TOFC/COFC Unloader" ... an article by Jim Cassidy

The drawings say, "Full size for HO scale: copyright 1986 by Mi-Jack Products -- used with permission.

The drawings even have all dimensions listed in "U.S." as well as Metric. Kool!

Now ... in keeping with all of the discussions re: copyright and getting permission to "publish," how 'bout you PM me, Jens, and give me you email address and maybe your snail-mail address too. I'll scan the pages for email and copy them for snail mail, if you think that is necessary. You tell me how you want me to convey them to you.

There is also a six-page article ... "Kit-Conversion: Upgrading a Lima Ready-Built Piggypacker," using a Lima # 600900 model, an Italian import available back then from Amro Ltd. I'll include that as well if you wish. [People on this and several other forums have been extremely helpful to me when it comes to history, details and decals, it's time for me to pay forward.]
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
biL, you have a PM 2285_
Jens
The Two-and-a-Half Ton Monster Library of Model Railroading magazines and books has paid off!

:!: Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin :!:
biL