The end is nigh...
I'm rather surprised at the responses to those old cars and also to those photos that my good friend Ed posted. The express boxcar is an old Kurtz Kraft flat kit from, I believe, the late '50s. I bought it quite a few years ago, unbuilt and unpainted in a plastic bag at the LHS - only a buck or so, if I recall correctly. The trucks (none were included with the kit) are from Athearn, the same as those on the Athearn reefers crudely rebuilt with sliding plug doors. Like all cars, locomotives, and structures in that "EG&E" green, these were brush painted and lettered with dry transfer alphabet sets.
A word of caution to anyone contemplating a free-lance model railroad (or a prototypical one with a long name): make sure that commercial lettering is available or pry open your wallet to get custom-made lettering. Over the years I have lettered almost 90 pieces of EG&E passenger equipment, most with Elora Gorge & Eastern in the letterboards and all done using dry transfer alphabet sets. Many of these were in that green paint, although there were some stainless steel cars, too. In addition to that, there are around 40 diesels of various types lettered using decal alphabets, all brush-painted, somewhere out there in the model railroading world - this doesn't include any of the stuff which I've sold in the last few years, either.

Here's the diesel paint scheme in colour (an Atlas SD24):
[Image: EGESD2481-1.jpg]

...and a few more in b&w...

Atlas SD35:
[Image: Film4-15A.jpg]

Athearn geep:
[Image: Film1-12A.jpg]

Globe F7, in pusher service:
[Image: Film4-17A.jpg]

Another Atlas SD35, with a scratchbuilt "safety" cab:
[Image: Film3-4enlargement-1.jpg]

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:...Here's the diesel paint scheme in colour ...

Doc, here is the prototype of your depot (it is in the next county seat, about a 30 minutes drive from my home) Smile
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...010452.JPG
Reinhard
Thanks for posting that, Reinhard. It looks like Vollmer or Faller (I can't find any name on it, but those companies, along with Kibri, seemed to share a lot of their die work) did a credible job representing it with their model.
While mine is no longer in one piece (it was in storage for some time), one end is serving as a bank in my unfinished town of Dunnville:
[Image: LayoutviewsatDunnville003.jpg]

As you can see in this view, the rest of the neighbourhood needs to be built before the whole area can go downhill. Icon_lol
[Image: BarneySecordfliestheGrandValley--9.jpg]

Wayne
Doc, the kit of the "Bahnhof Calw" (Bahnhof = railway station / in this case also depot building, Calw is the name of the city and the county at the northern Black Forrest) is made by Kibri. It is a very famous model found on many German layouts. The buildings at the end are also sold separate with some modifications as an older school building or as an old post office. You did very well using it separate. It looks great.
Reinhard
doctorwayne Wrote:As you can see in this view, the rest of the neighbourhood needs to be built before the whole area can go downhill. Icon_lol

Wayne

Having visited family in Byng Park during the summer, I fully "get" this jab at the local area. Icon_lol
Well, I understand what you're saying, Wink but I meant it in reference to the nearby terraced lots between the commercial district and recently built Mercury Mills on the outskirts of town. This area is slate for residential development, after which it is then expected to go downhill quickly (both literally and figuratively). Misngth
[Image: Layoutroomphotos012.jpg]

Wayne
On the subject of the Vintage Central Valley Trucks on EBay ...

... I had the naive notion that I might be able to pull off another one of my pattented "12 seconds to go" bids ... 8-)

... but with 3 days, 22 hours and 45+ minutes to go ...

... there are 12 bidders and the bid is now up to $63.99! :o Confusedhock:

I think I may forget it and let it slide this time :!: Confusedhock:
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I got stuck behind a rendering plant truck, on a ferry crossing Puget Sound many years ago. The next time the truck came to the ferry dock it was placed by itself in a far corner and loaded last.
I saw a packet of CV kingpins at the show on Sunday. When I went back to buy them they'd already been packed up.
I remember hearing that CV bought dress snaps by the ton and threw away the one half ... until they managed to make a deal just to buy the female half.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.