Kato Nscale Amtrak and PC GG-1
Sorry to do this to y'all...but I gotta post a few pictures of these guys. I've been waiting for months for them to arrive, and finally they did. After installing the decoders, these two brutes are MU'd and slowly putting on laps around the layout. So far, so good. Although the Penn Central unit did have some contact issues with the Digitrax decoder...thankfully, I think I solved that problem. (I've been having more and more issues with poor fitting Digitrax decoders...but that's another topic.)

Sorry for my poor picture taking ability and the horrid lighting...

[Image: P1140062.jpg]

[Image: P1140065.jpg]

[Image: P1140067.jpg]

Thanks for taking time to look. I'll try to get better pictures on a sunny day without all the room lighting.
Thumbsup
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Herc Driver Wrote:Sorry to do this to y'all...but I gotta post a few pictures of these guys.

Whaddya kidding?! LOVE 'em! Thumbsup

Ralph
Wait till you see them running with the Kato PC passenger car string and matching black PennCentral E-8 coming out sometime around March!

I plan on running an excursion train with the E-8 trailing behind the GG-1's with the PC and Amtrak mixed fleet in tow. Might even throw in an Amtrak P42 just to add some extra power and try to create a more prototypical consist of power for a current-day excursion train.

(I apologize how bad those pictures turned out...boy that back wall/ceiling looks bad...but I didn't have the time to compose a better shot. My apologies to one and all.)

Mark
Mark

--and--
Seriously Mark but who among who loves the GG-1 even notices the background? Goldth
What background? I didn't see a background.
I saw some sweet looking juice jacks!
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Lovin' the Juice Jacks, Herc!

Growing up only blocks from the PRR's four-track Main Line (in an area west of Philly called the "Main Line") I used to see the GG1's every day!

Oh, yeah! Lovin' the Juice Jacks!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
And to think...when I had my first train ride (NYC to Boston on Amtrak 1970's) I was displeased that an E-8 wasn't on the point...it was a grime covered black GG-1 with dirty white Amtrak lettering. I remember the cab windows were just above my level standing on the platform making it look like a beast just sitting there "eyeing" me. (Whadda expect...I was a kid with an imagination.) Wink

As for a quick review...These Kato GG-1's are really some of their finest models. The detailing is well done, with particular attention to the pantographs. The white Amtrak and PC lettering I feel is a bit faded, but quite possibly a "fresh looking" white color wouldn't look right since I doubt they ever cleaned up "factory fresh." The only negative comment I would make about these models is how hard it is to get the shell off to install a decoder. You've really got to follow the directions on the Kato website and be patient. Pulling in exactly the right place releases the shell from the frame. Decoder installation is very simple. These models are a bit prone to the large truck assemblies falling from the unit if knocked around. But, the truck assemblies are easy to reinstall. They are very fast models...watch the speed going around tight curves...it could go rocketing off the rails. All in all, this model is worth every penny. It's got a great look, pulls a long string of passenger or freight cars, needs to be throttled down a bit for prototypical operations (unless going a scale 80 mph is ok with you), and has a great quiet motor.
Mark

--and--