Transformation: GP39-2 From Shiny Brass to Grimy Green
"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
"Of decoders -- and speakers -- and color-coded wires --
"And working journal springs --
"And why we paint our models -- and how --
"And program the bell to ring.

O.K. ... so much for to today's literary culture reference.

I have decided to document the transformation of an Overland Models Reading GP39-2 from an exquisitely detailed brass collectable into a miniature representation of a second generation Reading Company diesel locomotive, looking as if it has been a working member of the motive power roster for a couple years.

I was not thinking with all of my brain when I started this project … I neglected to photograph this model prior to initiating the disassembly. I apologize for that oversight … it was a bonehead mistake. I will do my best to make up for that oversight by covering the rest of the project with as many photographs as deemed appropriate.

So we will begin with the current state of disassembly …

I’m always concerned about losing all those little screws, so I have a procedure that I follow when I take things apart and this is as good a spot as any to mention it. The safest place to keep those tiny little machined buggers is right back the tiny little holes they came out of. But they must be placed somewhere until they’ve all been removed and the parts in question have been separated.

My solution as to what to do with them while they’re being removed is …
[Image: KeepingtheScrewsinProperOrder-1.jpg]
An upside-down piece of blue painter’s tape is helpful in keeping the screws in the same general locations and relationships to each other until they can be replaced in the holes they came out of.

So, now we have reduced the model to the four main components – the short hood, the cab and long hood, the walkways and end platforms and the chassis/power truck assembly …
[Image: TheFourMainComponents-1.jpg]
The Four Main Components

There is more disassembly to be accomplished, as the chassis, power trucks and can motor still must be separated from each other before painting can begin.

Disassembly complete, all parts to be painted were soaked for 15 to 20 minutes then scrbbed with an old tooth brush in an automotive-type metal cleaning solvent (PPG Acryli-Clean DX330 Wax & Grease Remover,) then washed in very hot water with detergent, thoroughly rinsed in very hot running water and then allowed to air dry on baker's parchment paper (no lint!)
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
That brass sure looks nice 8-)
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
In an effort to reduce “clean-up” after airbrushing the wheels of the power trucks, I made a “Kwikie” Power Truck Wheel Mask …

Using my calipers, I measured and marked off the axle centers of the drive trucks, drew center lines, and marked the circles with a pen and one of my circle templates …
[Image: DrawingtheCircles.jpg]

… cut around the circle with a #11 blade …
[Image: ReadyforUse.jpg]

… and slid the drive truck in from behind …
[Image: TheWheelMaskasPurposed.jpg]

After a quick trip out to the garage, we have Grimy Black wheel faces, just aching to be weathered …
[Image: PaintedWheelFaces.jpg]

Patience, little round guys … the time will come!

The truck side frames were reassembled and set up in “third hand” gripper, given a trip out to the airbrush station in the garage and …
[Image: TruckSideframePaintingSet-up.jpg]

… and when the humidity shot up due to a local downpour, the took up residency under the heat of a high intensity bulb …
[Image: WatchingPaintDry.jpg]

… and now the truck side frames are Grimy Black and awaiting some weathering …
[Image: Detail-PaintedTruckSideFrame.jpg]

Next will be the chassis (with the fuel tank) and the walkways/end platforms/railings/cab interior … but will have to wait for the rain to stop and the humidity to drop 20 or 30% to once again atomize pigment out at the airbrush station in the garage.
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Thumbsup nice job so far Bil. Cheers I got to pick me up one of those 3rd hands...looks Handy 357
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Quite a downpour, wasn't it BiL?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Keep up the good work bill Thumbsup

Downpour? We had a downpour too, looks like this:

[Image: b4e48ae3.jpg]
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
BR60103 Wrote: Quite a downpour, wasn't it BiL?

Downpour? More like a dump! We don't usually get rain much down here in the winter ... This has been an unusual winter for weather! We've had three hard frosts this year already! The sugar cane crop is totally lost, tomatoes have taken a big hit and the citrus groves have lost about 20% of the year's fruit crop and as much as 3% - 4% of their trees! Summer is the time for rain ... it usually rains everyday (a 15 to 20 minute "bucket dump") every afternoon about 16:14 and then it's done -- by 17:00 everything is dry again.

tomustang Wrote: Downpour? We had a downpour too, looks like this:
[Image: b4e48ae3.jpg]

I vaguely remember that "white stuff" ... but I know I now like it best in photographic images!

And e-paw, they now make those "third hand" dealies with four and five arms and interchangeable "hands," one being a magnifying glass.
biL

No rain today … just cold … upper 40’s this morning! But by mid afternoon, with the mercury in the garage in the 60’s, I stirred the paint jars and took them out to the airbrush work station and let the pigment fly. First up ... the Cab Interior–Walkways–End Platforms/Pilots (which had been primered two days ago and masked off last night) got a coat of grimy black on the underside …
[Image: CabInteriorWalkwaysEndPlatforms.jpg]

[Image: Underside-CabInteriorWalkwaysEndPlatforms.jpg]

The Chassis had a few small areas masked and it also got a coat of Grimy Black. I couldn’t help myself, though …
[Image: ChassisinBasePaint.jpg]

… yeah … I had to hit the fuel tank with my Grimy Road Dirt mixture …
[Image: Underside-ChassisinBasePaint.jpg]

The trucks were then assembled and given a light dusting of the Grimy Road Dirt mixture …
[Image: FrontTruck-InitialGrimyBlack.jpg]
[Image: RearTruck-InitialGrimyBlack.jpg]

Tomorrow, when all is dry and fairly-well cured, I’ll assemble the chassis to the point where I can put it on the Bachrus saddles and, after insuring that the gears have a light coat of Atlas # 190 Gear Lube, I’ll run it in for half an hour and then (gulp) heat up the pencil iron and begin the install of the Soundtrax Tsunami decoder and the TrainMaster speaker.
biL

Beautiful work so far BiL.

I love how the trucks turned out. Very nicely done! Worship
You are off to a GREAT start! I can't wait to see the whole thing completed.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
biL,

I agree, nice start.

Bruce
Woohoo! You're off to a wonderful start and I'm looking forward to more! Also gotta agree with Tetters.... the trucks are awesome! Thumbsup
Very good paint job so far, Bil. Thumbsup Waht primer and paints do you use to paint this brass beauty?
Kurt
Kurt -

I have a stock of about 300 to 400 bottles of "original formula" Floquil Paint that I have been using for years.

When I do get around to the Reading Green, since that is a color I never stocked up on back in the '70's and '80's, I had to purchase a couple bottles of the "newer formula" Reading Green and Reading Yellow paint for use on this model. I'm hoping that it thins, atomizes and covers the same as to older version ... I'm not in the mood to use this model as a test bed for learning to use a new type of paint!

I have been brush-painting and then in later years (the '70's) airbrushing Floquil almost exclusively since sometime in the early '60's. I did use the original ScaleCoat (in the "big" bottles) on a couple of brass steam locomotives for clients back in the mid-seventies, but it was not my favorite. I have never used any of the "poly"-type latex paints and I don't plan on learning to do so on a piece of brass!

I always let the applied Floquil dry for an hour or so and then bake the painted pieces at 200°F for an hour or so, resting on a cheap disposable 9" x 6 1/4" aluminum broiler pan, then let it cool totally (in the oven) for several hours before moving on to the next step, especially if it involves any masking. I use blue painter's tape for masking. Oh, and I have a double/over/under oven set up - trains are baked in the upper - so there's no one to worry about being angry about baking painted objects in the oven! (Besides, one session through the "Auto Clean" cycle and all is good for baking a birthday cake while the roast of working down below!)

Once the painting process has begun (starting with the wash with automotive wax/grease remover) I wear nitrile gloves when working on or touching the pieces to be painted.

I hope that answers the question asked ... and any others that you may have been pondering. Wink 8-)
biL

Hi Bil:
Looks to me like you are developing the documentation and pictures for an excellent clinic to be presented at a later date.
dwight77