A Prototype "Big Blue" car
At 4:43 into this YouTube video there is ...

... a PROTOTYPE Big Blue box car!

No Kidding! Really!

I found the video on the Railroadradio.net NS Harrisburg Main Line, Pottstown PA. Area Stream, where I've been listening over the past few days to all of the commotion surrounding a "mishap" that took down 3500' of overhead catenary and ripped the pantographs off five Silverliner MU cars (are you paying attention G.E.C.?) at or near the beginning of rush hour on the Trenton to Philladelphia line, just into the Greater Northeast Philadelphia metro area.

Apparently with the downed lines, the passengers were starnded on those five cars for an hour or two, until the power could be shut off and shuttle buses dispatched to the scene. Of course, this section of trackage is THE North-South Mainline, Boston to "The District!" The airwaves were crackling all day and into the night. The "Wire Train" was sent up the line, but it is frightfully slow and I actually heard little more about it. My understanding is that they do much of teir work at night, since power must be dropped.

Talk about a "Bad Day at Black Rock," the whole story goes like this, from WPVI, Philadelphia ...

MARCH 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- SEPTA riders are experiencing delays on several Regional Rail lines because of equipment problems.

Officials report the Lansdale/Doylestown line inbound experiencing delays of up to 15 minutes due to equipment problems, the Chestnut Hill West line and Norristown line and Trenton line have all been suspended until further notice.

The problem started because an overhead power line came down, started a fire and ended up touching one of the trains. People were stuck inside the train, but there were no reported injuries.

It happened to a train that was stuck on the tracks near G and Venango streets in the Juniata Park section of the city.

Officials managed to shut off the power and get everyone out of the stranded train at about 8:40 a.m. However, rail service delays and suspensions continued for SEPTA Regional Rails.

At about 11:15 a.m., Norristown Line service remained suspended until further notice. Chestnut Hill West service resumed with train #823. Lansdale Doylestown is experiencing delays of up to 15 minutes.

The guy who runs the radio feed doesn't always turn it on on Sunday, so I've been unable to follow the goings on today, to be able to report how close to having it cleaned up and operational.

Funny! I sit here in Southwest Florida, listening to railroaders on the radio up in my old Philadelphia stomping grounds!

Ain't the Internet great?!!!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Well look at that. Big Grin Thumbsup
Well - it was either graffiti or "Big Blue" so i though that would be easier to spell! Nope Eek Eek

Icon_lol That's so cool!!!!! Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
They are CSX cars. I remember them being delivered back when I worked for them. They have the BIG BLUE on the side of the car near the top.
-Dave