Scratchbuilding the Chapel in Sedona, AZ
About four years ago we had a scratchbuild challenge on the old Gauge, and I chose to build one of my favorite and unique structures, the Chapel of the Holy Cross here in Sedona, about half-way between Phoenix and Flagstaff. The area is know for its stunning red rock formations, and I tried to capture that in my build. I thought it would be fun to go through that once again in light of a question I received after posting some photos of the current N scale tour car. Anyway, I'll do my best to go through the process I used. The front of the structure is 100' from bottom to top with the cross extending another 20' below that. I found that it would be a bit overwhelming, even when reduced to 1"160 scale, so I opted to go with a 1:220 scale. It is true in every respect to that scale.

Here are a few shots of the actual Chapel as it sits atop of and is surrounded by red rocks.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
We visit the Chapel often, so getting actual measurements was not difficult. I stepped off the width at the entrance and scaled everything off of that. I created a paper mock-up to get size relationships, then cut out my parts using .060 styrene for the 10" thick walls.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Here are a few shots of inside the sanctuary, it's kind of dark but it gives you some idea of the details there. That's my wife Peggy kneeling at one of the benches. The last photo shows my interior detailing.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I skipped a few steps here, but I took some clear styrene and scribed it with a knife and filled in the cut marks with black ink to represent the windows and frames at the front of the church. I also painted the walls inside and out. The original is pink mottled, exposed-aggregate poured in place concrete. I was able to get the same texture and affect using a simulated stone spray paint from Home Depot.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
The next task was to fit the structure to the foam base. I also had a siding running where the foam was going, so I decided to make that a tunnel entrance to a mine. Once it fit, I replace the structure with a cardboard one so that I wouldn't mess up the structure while allowing for it to slip in place once the rocks were finished.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Now it's time to get messy and shape the rocks. I used plaster-soaked paper towels and filled in with more plaster. The last picture shows the tools I used to shape the rocks. I form the basic shape then wait a few hours and go back and work the rocks using the tools. The next morning I'm still able to work the rocks a bit more and get a real rough effect.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
The structure fits into the slots left by the cardboard.        
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I cannot find any photos where I showed the construction of the promenade and the ramps, but here's a few shots of both the original and my scale rendition.                
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
The final version. The interior is lit and I can adjust the lighting intensity.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
looks fantastic..
well done! Worship
Santa Fe all the way
Greetings from Germany!
Don,
this is a real masterpiece!
Thanks for sharing.

Among the pics you have taken, this is clearly my favorite:
ezdays Wrote:[Image: file.php?id=8898]
Jens
Very nice work, well executed! And very nice night photography.
John
Wow! That turned out very well... a great representation of the real thing. Nicely done, sir!
That's a great recreation of a very unique building Worship . Very nicely done. Are there any rail lines near the prototype?
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Thanks everyone for these kind words, I enjoyed doing this and felt is was an honor to be able to try and recreate this magnificent work. It was built over 50 years ago and is an active church in the Roman Catholic diocese of Phoenix. It has been said to have been built on one of the spiritual vortexes that are found in the Sedona area. The views from the chapel are breathtaking, but like most things that were once out in the wilderness, civilization is knocking on its doorstep.

I'm guessing that the nearest railroad line is about 40 miles away in Clarkdale. The Verde Canyon Railroad usually makes two trips a day pulling tourists up and down the Verde Valley. If you even come near Sedona, don't miss coming up to the Chapel and take a ride on the Verde Canyon Railroad. Both are well worth the time.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and