Can someone explain this?
Ed is right in the terms of protecting a flagman. For MOW in the GN rulebook it has a rule that states that if Torpedos are placed and the protection is no longer required they are to be removed. If you have a rulebook from your railroad it may have some rule governing it....now how are you going to model it Gary???
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
I found the GCOR rule...I can't find the consolidated code online...

5.7 Torpedoes
If one or more torpedoes explode, the train must slow to restricted speed immediately and remain at this speed until the head end is 2 miles beyond where the torpedoes exploded.
When placing torpedoes, two must be placed not less than 150 feet apart on each rail. They must not be placed near station buildings, crossings, or on other than main tracks or sidings.
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
mountaingoatgreg Wrote:For MOW in the GN rulebook it has a rule that states that if Torpedos are placed and the protection is no longer required they are to be removed. If you have a rulebook from your railroad it may have some rule governing it
That makes sense for MOW gangs who would be protecting themselves on short sections of track. None of the rule books that I have including the Uniform Code of Operating Rules has any provision for a train to remove them. Just wouldn't be practical or safe.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
The only thing we ever used them for was to play pranks on other crews. The yard I worked at in Washington D.C. is in a bad area and more than once a new trainman "hit the deck" thinking a torpedo was a gunshot...
-Dave
The Canadian rule book for 1962 has
"15. The explosion of one or more torpedoes, in the absence of a more restrictive signal, indicates proceed, but at restricted speed for 2000 yards from the point where the torpedoes were exploded.
Where the use of torpedoes is required duplicates should be placed on the opposite rail to explode simultaneously.
Torpedoes exploded by other than a train or engine must be replace immediately.
Torpedoes must not be placed near stations nor on public crossings at grade."
Rule 35 lists torpedoes among the devices to stop trains from going on defective or obstructed track.
Rule 40 instructs the flagman to go out at least 2000 yards to flag and preferably to a spot where he can be seen for 500 yards. If he goes farther, he places a set of torpedoes at 2000 yards and another double set 200 beyond where he is flagging.
"(g) Flagmen must each be equipped for day time with:
A red flag on a staff
At least eight torpedoes and
Seven red fusees;..." for night time the flag changes to red light, white light and a supply of matches.
Rule 41 is similar but covers locations where work is being done and instructs that the torpedoes be replaced.
Rule 98 covers "When a train stops under circumstances in which it may be overtaken by another train..." There is another line "Torpedoes so placed must not be removed." There is a later paragraph telling the flagman to leave "a fusee burning red" at the flag point and at such other intervals "as may be necessary to ensure full protection" and another at the point from which the train moves.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
When the Toronto Transit extended its Bloor Danforth subway to remove the last streetcar operation on Bloor and Danforth (1968?) (two shuttles), we ran an overnight fantrip and finished up about 5 or 6 in the morning leaving the Danforth line. The last curve had a number of torpedoes placed on it before we left, which our car ran over.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Just wanted to say thank you for everyone that helped me understand the use of a torpedo.

Thank You! Smile
Didnt see it mentioned, but "torpedo" used to be a sort of catch-all for an explosive device. They didn't have the term "mine" yet. "Mine" would make the rule seem a little clearer to a modern reader. Its also why "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" mentions torpedoes decades before they were invented (they were a kind of sea mine)
Railroad fusees have a 5 minute burn time, so encountering one would indicate a train being near, therefore requiring a stop , then proceed at restricted speed . Hearing a torpedo would require a reduction to restricted speed for 1 mile and if no train (or fusee)is encountered in that distance, it means the train left and the route is clear. (or something like that.)