Office Shelf Layout
I'm starting a new shelf layout for my office. Due to my current work load all I have time for is a small shelf layout.
Below is the track plan. [ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
The board for Phase one is complete and ready for track.

I'll be adding the track tomorrow.

Howard

Attached Files Image(s)

Howard,

This is a great little project, I too am working on a small shelf layout and think that they are a great way to model without taking up a lot of time and space.
Do you have a specific railroad and era you are modeling, or is this a freelance line?
The one other question is the crossover with the tiny spur, what is its purpose?

Keep us posted on the progress and keep the photos coming!!
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
M.G. Greg ...

I read that a little differently. I thought it was a mocked-up track plan ... the turn-out and the spur to the covered industrial spot in the lower left of the track plan.

But I could be wrong!
Lord knows, we've already written it on the calendar twice this year!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I'm interested in following your thread, since I too don't have a lot of space. My current layout has two ovals of track and is very small -- only about 5.5' long by 3.5' wide. It uses 15"R curves, and is about as small as you can go in HO (or British 00).

I work from my home office -- I use a bedroom in the basement. Someday, I wouldn't mind having a small shelf layout in my office. I'm hoping I can get away with a layout that's 6' long and anywhere from 1' to 2' wide. I also have a 4x6' layout but it's too large for our small house. Hopefully, my next project will be to dismantle/salvage this 4x6 layout this summer, and then start on the shelf layout next fall/winter!

When you say "office," I trust you mean a home office? Just curious, since I only just recently started working from home -- always interesting to compare notes!

Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
Hi Howard --

Looks interesting! Would suggest making the track plan image a little smaller - that way people won't have to scroll the image to see the rest of the track plan.

Smile,
Stein
Sorry, Howard! I forgot to look ... I didn't notice that you were a "New Arrival!"

Welcome Welcome Welcome

You've arrived at the best model railroad forum on the Internet.

Relax ...
... settle in ...
... have fun!

:mrgreen:
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Howard
Couldn't help doodling w/ your track plan. Just some ideas to give you to think about. Started out just wanting to get rid of those 2 S curves in upper middle. But ended up giving you a little yard plus a couple more industry spots. You don't have to do it all at once. Just do what you want when time & money allow.

Attached Files Image(s)

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Thank you all for looking.

Greg, I have always modeled the Santa Fe. My dream layout will be the Joint Line between Denver and Palmer Lake CO in 1989. By modeling that area I can include the Rio Grande (my other favorite RR) and the Burlington Northern. Right now I don't have the room in our current house for that layout. I have plans for a 11' x 11' around the walls layout in a room next to my office but no work started at present. This shelf will be a freelanced industrial branch off the main layout.

Bil, Your right. It's just a mockup. Rob, Yes this is for my home office. Stein, Already done. Andy, Like some of the changes you made to the track plan and will rethink in the future. Phase 2 is not cast in stone so I can make changes, if fact I haven't selected all the industries yet.

Below is picture of the track that I put down Monday. Nothing is permanent yet, just tacked down with track nails. I'm not able to do any more on this till next Sunday and then I hope to run some trains and see how the plan works.

Howard
Welcome Howard, Welcome to Big Blue ! Cheers Cheers
Looking forward to seeing where your project goes, and how you get it there. Because of having to move so often, I got into modular/sectional layouts, and have stayed with it all these years.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I was able to switch the layout for about a half hour Sunday and am pleased how the track arrangement works. For now the trackplan will stay as is for phase 1.
Now it's time to work on the buildings that I had just mocked up. Next weekend I'll try to work on the track and see if I can get that completed. Will have a busy week again
so we'll have to see how that works out. Thanks all for following along.

Howard
Hey Howard, I like the original track plan. Looks like it will be fun to operate that, with plenty of possibilities.

In the second to last photo, what brand is the Santa Fe boxcar?
It's all looking good, Howard. I like where you are going. I'll be watching with great interest.

But, I'm curious ...
What are all the tracks behind your Phase One Shelf? :?
biL

Cheers Cheers
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
This is really nice! Heck, just the phase I portion of your plan makes for a nice ISL! Will be very interested in seeing how this comes out.

And welcome to the group! Welcome
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Very nice! I like it. Thumbsup

Welcome to the forum. Welcome
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!