Greenwood Underpass
Greg

It would be a complete I beam with angles bolting the two webs together.

Not a bad guess about the age then.

I wonder if any GERN was used in its construction?

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Entirely possible ...
... in the steel to make it 3% stronger ...
... and in the paint to make it last 3% longer!

Misngth
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Ok so here is a little update on the bridge...

I fixed the middle brace, add details, painted it and made a cut in the bridge so it would fit in.

What do you all think???

[Image: Greenwood+20.JPG]

[Image: Greenwood+25.JPG]

I think I did ok the bridge balances all by itself....
[Image: Greenwood+26.JPG]
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
Greg, that looks perfect. It all makes sense now. The big bridge beams aren't one piece spanning the entire distance. They are actually sections, supported by the inverted T. Mark was right! This Big Blue thing is alright. And Mark, even though this is Greg's bridge, I appreciate that you discovered how the bridge is, because the prototype just seemed funny, the huge beams supported by the relatively small horizontal piece.
Greg;

The new and improved bridge looks terrific. I am glad that I was able to help you to make your model accurate, and thank you for posting the photos and then considering my advice in a constructive manner. Chalk one up for the co-operative and friendly attitude here at Big Blue.

It is a testament to your work that the bridge can balance like that.

Gary;

I am more than happy to help by sharing some of my building knowledge, and even though I am not an engineer, I have seen enough structural steel, and other things, to know when something doesnt seem right. Not everyone knows or understands how things are built and a lot in this world dont care, but dont get me started on blinkered people. Nope

Bridges are a focal point on a layout and as such need to be modelled with care to ensure that they stand up to close scrutiny.

I for one dont like to give nit pickers an opportunity to pick fault. Bastards Wallbang

Mark
Mr Fixit Wrote:I for one dont like to give nit pickers an opportunity to pick fault. Bastards

Thumbsup 357
The perfect answer to the nit picker / rivet counter ? ....... "That kind of makes sense, here's a photo of the prototype, show me where the missing detail is".........or, " yes, I am imperfect, but then, perfection is a fault, and I have no faults " Eek Icon_twisted Icon_twisted
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Well since I am going to have three of the same bridges right next to each other I appreciate the fact you have helped me resolve the issues before I had three bridges that would be nit picked. I am a rivet counter but in all things there is compromise....
well until I perfect my shrink ray 35 Icon_lol

Thanks again for all your help, this thread is a prime example of what make the Big Blue Forum GREAT!!!!!
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

Glad to help Greg.

Your backdrop looks pretty darn good too, I can almost smell the fresh mountain air.

Maybe there is a GERN deposit nearby and everything smells 3% better. Icon_lol

Mark
Gary S Wrote:Greg, that looks perfect. It all makes sense now. The big bridge beams aren't one piece spanning the entire distance. They are actually sections, supported by the inverted T. Mark was right! This Big Blue thing is alright. And Mark, even though this is Greg's bridge, I appreciate that you discovered how the bridge is, because the prototype just seemed funny, the huge beams supported by the relatively small horizontal piece.

@Gary, I think that your mean is a good conclusion to this steel construction. The inverted T-beam is base for the sectioned H-beams. This is a very simple working technology and it is very good realized by this model.

@Greg, a very nice looking model and a construction built with help of forum members here. The best reason that we need all these discussion and hints and our technical knowledge of all.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Well lets blow the dust off this thread.....

I pulled a Gary and skipped a bunch of pictures and finished up the first bridge of the three bridges for the underpass. I still have lots of work to do before this underpass is completed, but know I know how to do one, the others should be easy.

[Image: Greenwood+32.JPG]

[Image: Greenwood+30.JPG]

[Image: Greenwood+31.JPG]
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

Looking good there Greg Thumbsup That bridge just screams for some weathering....
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Just yesterday I was thinking of this bridge, wondering if you had made any progress. Looks like you are! Great work, and good to see the photos.
Just a quick update....

Cheers

[Image: Greenwood+34.JPG]
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

Slowly taking shape, and looking good.