The Shifter
Galen,

Thanks for bringing this thread up again - and the Yardbirds link. Gives me ideas (and hope!) for a couple of die-cast locos I have: Roundhouse 2-6-0 and 2-6-2. The 2-6-0 is actually a decent runner on DC; the Prairie runs...! Wink But both could benefit from the overhaul you under took for your own little 0-4-0.

Andrew
AWwwwww! I got started and though, "Oh, starting in 2006! This is going to be good," so I got up and fixed a little something to eat while I sit and read the words and devour the photographs and ... and ...

Whaaaa?!!!

I still have over half a bowl of Chicken Florentine with Farfalle and some fresh Pecorino Romano grated on top with a little fresh cracked pepper on top left, and it's all over already!

Bummer!

C'mon, Galen ... let's get on with it already!
... at least take us to 2008!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I went down to the basement to check "the midden heap", and yes I did remember correctly I have one of those Mantua 0-4-0 locos, and an 0-6-0 also. I'll have to give some thought to what I might do with them.
Your "shifter" is looking good !
Thanks for the inspiration !
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Wow, guys, thanks for the great replies to this dusty old thread. Now I have no choice, I MUST update it, of only to keep biL in the pasta. 357

Trouble is, I'm at work on my lunch break, away from the pics on the home computer, so you'll either have to head over to the Yardbirds group and join up there, or wait a day or two for pics here. Okay, maybe tonight, since I received such an overwhelming response. You all are too much fun.

My plan lately has been to work on this little guy between opportunities to make some noise in the garage working with power tools on the layout framing & subroadbed. That hasn't turned out to be quite the case, but I've now been officially kicked in the behind to get it back in gear so that's what I'll do.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
There's no way I'm going to join some other group! Today's fiasco solidified that! Wallbang

I figured I join the Digitrax Users group over at Yahoo, and maybe learn a thing or two about DCC. Well, long story short, Yahoo wouldn't recognize my sign-on, and their "Help" screen was no "help" as it told me my name was available and wouldn't accept what I typed in for that squiggle security code ... six times! So they can go pound sand and then go to Ache Ee Double Hockey Sticks! I'm done with it! Shoot

I'll come to bother people at Big Blue or I'll sit at the kitchen table and build stuff! Tongue PHffffffffft!
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:as it told me my name was available and wouldn't accept what I typed in for that squiggle security code ... six times!

The raving lunatic sits in the dark of his unlit room staring at the computer screen and wringing his hands in overwhelming glee.
"I knew that squiggle security code would cause vassst amounts of human suffering, I knew it, I knew it, I knew....."
I'm so happy I was able to come up with that.......you're welcome.
ha.. 357 ...ha ha.... 357 ...ha ha ha ha !!!! 357 ...... It's alive !! it's aliiiiive !!!! 2285_ 2285_

Yes doctor, I'll take my medications now.......yes, it was too many shingles.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Sumpter250 Wrote:... Yes doctor, I'll take my medications now.......yes, it was too many shingles.

Omigod ... shingles! I'm going cashews, pistachios and almonds trying to replicate the correct way to apply individual shingles along the roof ridge with a pile of shingles I hand cut from a craft paper 6"x11"x3.5" 6 pound bag!

Sumpter ... what can you tell me about shingling the ridge?
HELP!!!
biL

P5se Camelback Wrote:
Sumpter250 Wrote:... Yes doctor, I'll take my medications now.......yes, it was too many shingles.

Omigod ... shingles! I'm going cashews, pistachios and almonds trying to replicate the correct way to apply individual shingles along the roof ridge with a pile of shingles I hand cut from a craft paper 6"x11"x3.5" 6 pound bag!

Sumpter ... what can you tell me about shingling the ridge?
HELP!!!

Shingles? Lest we forget this is a STEAM thread, about detailing a steam locomotive, consider this your official reprimand! :| Please continue that discussion on the appropriate thread.

More pics later tonight.

Galen
I'm truly sorry, Galen, I got carried away! Please carry on with detailing the little zamac boiler ... I was all interested and prepared to sit and soak that all up and maybe learn something, and I got distracted ... it's an ADD thing! [I have a Roundhouse PRR E6s Atlantic to build ... I was thinking I might pick up a few pointers from you.]
biL

Sorry about that Galen, we all are occasionally mislead away from the topic.
P5se Camelback Wrote:Sumpter ... what can you tell me about shingling the ridge?
P5se,See the boathouse thread.
P5se Camelback Wrote:I'm truly sorry, Galen, I got carried away! Please carry on with detailing the little zamac boiler ... I was all interested and prepared to sit and soak that all up and maybe learn something, and I got distracted ... it's an ADD thing! [I have a Roundhouse PRR E6s Atlantic to build ... I was thinking I might pick up a few pointers from you.]

No worries, biL. I absolutely love Atlantics. They just look like souped-up hot rod 4-4-0's, and I guess that's what they are. The E6s's are fine machines. Hopefully you'll find the inspiration you need here...when I get off my duff and post a few more pictures. I've been too busy with work this weekend so maybe this week we'll see more modeling.

And sumpter - you are correct, sir! With all the good modeling on this forum (your boathouse, for example), it's easy to wander from topic to topic.

Galen
ocalicreek Wrote:
P5se Camelback Wrote:... [I have a Roundhouse PRR E6s Atlantic to build ... I was thinking I might pick up a few pointers from you.]
... I absolutely love Atlantics. They just look like souped-up hot rod 4-4-0's, ...

The P5se Camelback is ...

[Image: RDGP5sc-e345resized.jpg]

An Atlantic! And a REAL Racehorse!!
biL

Gonna work on the shifter again so I thought I'd better make good on my word and update this thread.

Here are two pictures from mid-Dec. last year of work I did on the power reverse unit and right-side linkage, modifying the valve gear to include a lifting link. It was really pretty straight forward thanks to a wide spot on the valve gear that seemed to be made for this application. Filing and drilling the little brass pieces wasn't as hard as I thought, though I don't think I'd want to do a whole valve gear that way. Probably could at this point but glad to just modify this rather than create something totally from scratch.

[albumimg]2979[/albumimg]

[albumimg]2980[/albumimg]

The second pic is the power reverse unit itself and the flat brass 'hooks' are what I added on to mount it to the boiler and running board. This seemed to work well until I was adding the diamond plate to the running board and the power reverse just popped off. Oops. Oh well, next time I'll use epoxy instead of C-A.

Galen
Inspiring work! I love to see when someone takes a project from their workbench and resumes work. I need to do that myself Goldth
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->