Making some trees for Sweethome Alabama
I need to make a lot of trees to cover the 11ft length of Sweethome Alabama in trees.

In addition to the 'sea foam' trees, I also make trees from moulded plastic tree formers (Woodland Scenics, Heki, etc). This time around I'm using florists soft wire and paper tape to make my own tree trunks, as shown in this topic.

I started with a 6inch bundle of wire and started binding it in brown paper tape, both of which are available from florists shops. Branches are bent outwards from the trunk and are bound with the paper tape, as I move up the tree

[Image: IMG_8840.JPG]

[Image: IMG_88431.JPG]

Each wire in the branches is bent outwards and cut to length, before moving on to the next branch. Here are some completed Scots pines and a sycamore, that are fully bound in the paper tape, ready for the next stage

[Image: IMG_8839.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8847.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8846.JPG]

The next stage follows...

Jon
Sweethome Chicago is now on Facebook

Sweethome Alabama is now on Facebook

Hudson Road is now on Facebook

my videos

my Railimages
Once the tree former has been covered in the paper tape and I am happy with the overall shape, I add the tree 'bark'. For this I use an acrylic sealant intended for sealing round doors and windows in the home and the one I use was bought cheaaply from the British equivalent of a 'dollar store'.

[Image: IMG_8852.JPG]

I squirt some out onto a piece of old card which is used as a pallette. Being acrylic, I water it down a but so I can paint it on to the paper tape with an old modelling brush. The sealant dries quickly and can be built up in layers until get the effect I want.

Here are some sycamores that have been treated with the sealant. The bark and branches are now ready for painting

[Image: IMG_8836.JPG]

Even the wire off-cuts from the larger trees can be bundled together and used to to make smaller trees and bushes.

[Image: IMG_8849.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8850.JPG]

Next up is to paint the tree trunks and add some poly-fibre branches

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
I'm liking this a lot already Jon!
I better watch this one... Not that I need many trees, but I will need a few.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
The bark has now been added to all the current batch of trees and allowed to dry. It was then painted with brown and grey acrylic paints, and drybrushed light grey.

The sycamores.........

[Image: IMG_8855.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8868.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8864.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8871.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8870.JPG]

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
Looking good so far. I can see where the cut offs could be useful to make bushes like you would find in the desert out here in the Southwest U.S.
Yes, those are coming along nicely. I have a bunch of trees made from twigs, but have been toying with idea of making some from wire. Your paper tape and acrylic caulk are nice ideas. Thanks for creating this thread, and looking forward to the next installment.
The Scot's pines and the bushes/small trees were also caulked and painted, ready for the next stage of adding small branches from poly-fibre.

[Image: IMG_8857.JPG]

[Image: IMG_88591.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8862.JPG]

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
It's great you have time to post all these neat projects Jon. I've been thinking about making sycamores with their peeling white bark for some time now. What you've got now will look great for winter trees too. I'd forgotton that my Mom uses these very materials for her flower arranging. Nice work!
So did mine Bill Cheers

I've glued on some black poly-fibre to the Scot's pines. This has been teased out to give a 'light and airy' feel to the tree and represents the smaller branches on the tree

[Image: IMG_8874.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8877.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8879.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8882.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8883.JPG]

Now for the sycamores and the bushes

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
The poly-fibre, available from ScaleTrees.com, has been attached to the bushes, although they now look more like small trees

[Image: IMG_8885.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8886.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8887.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8888.JPG]

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
The multiple layers of acrylic sealant look to me, to be the key element in the construction of the "armature" of the tree. It bonds, binds, and details the trunk and branches. Using the wire provides flexibility, and resistance to breakage that natural twigs do not. I've used the green paper tape, but not with the sealant, I will have to give this method a try.....nothing ventured, nothing gained. I think I "thin" out the polyfiber, just a bit more than you've shown, but that's more about how the eye perceives the finer branches of a tree, and the species of tree being modeled.
Yeah, I'm watching Icon_twisted .........and learning too. 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I got the branches on the larger deciduous trees last night - I've stopped calling them sycamores, because they dont really look like sycamores any more.

[Image: IMG_8893.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8895.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8897.JPG]

After teasing out the branches, I added a layer of leaves to the first couple of trees. I will need to add some more leaves to the first tree, as the photo still shows too much of the branch material

[Image: IMG_8910.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8911.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8912.JPG]

Now to foliate the other trees

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
I added the leaves to the remaining trees this evening and removed some of the excess polyfiber - not always evident until the leaf material has been applied.

The trees have been planted temporarily into the scenery to give an idea of how they will appear on the layout.

[Image: IMG_8921.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8922.JPG]

[Image: IMG_89331.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8931.JPG]

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
I don't know one type if deciduous tree from another, but your trees look great!!