NEW EMD GP60 DEmo's
Don,

I happened to be re-reading the March 2011 TRAINS magazine and on page 17 is an article, 'Minus one on this model', which I think will be of interest to you. It occured to me as I was reading the article that the story seemed very familiar in some way and then I recalled this thread.

The article describes what Union Pacific is doing to some of its SD60M units and matches what you wish to 'do' to your Demonstrator units. EMD is on behalf of UP replacing the 16 cylinder 710 prime mover with a 12 cylinder Tier 2 compliant unit and new micro processor controls and then calling the units SD 59M-2s. EMD expects that the rebuilt units will achieve 25 percent fuel savings when used by UP for mainline secondary freights.

Given the age of the units, built between 1984 and 1995, the engines are due for a rebuild and so it is a perfect time to swap engines to achieve fuel savings, and at the same time remove the turbos, all of which makes your shortline very 'green savy' and with the shortline tax credits scheme and possibly a state enviro loan or payment, helps the bottom.

Just another thread in the story you can weave around your favourite units.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Mark,you sure know your stuff.I did happen to have the Soundtraxx Tsunami 645 non-turbo installed in the EMD GP 60 units.After hearing many sound samples on youtube i decided the non-turbo sounded the best,not that i don't like the sound of a whining turbo...I do,but from the examples i heard of the non turbo vs the turbo version,i just liked the non-turbo version.Besides the turbo version of the Tsunami tends to drown - out the diesel engine sound.And the lack of turbo sound you can really hear the "generator" whine,which i like to hear.

When i can find the time i'll upload a video to youtube and provide a link so you all can hear it for your self. Wink I recently moved into a new house(unfinished basement)and will be planning my new switching layout.More news to come...stay tuned!
Don Shriner