SSWUP ISL - Build
So I have finally built my shelf and will be laying track later this week:

Final trackplan will be as below:
[Image: SSWUPISL142-1.jpg]
I started with a shelving system and shelves I made from laminated 1 inch thick high density foam with pine surrounds and masonite top and bottom, similar to Lance Mindheims hollow core door idea but custom made to a single length as I needed. This method is increadibly strong and light!!

Then I fitted and secured the 3mm masonite backdrop fixed to the shelving supports...

Backdrop was painted:

Foam place and ready for the track layout!!!!!

I would like to thank all who assisted me with the design and the opperational help from Ed and others!!! Most of the inspiration comes from Lance mindheim and Pelle Soeborg and the fact that DCC sound and electrical makes Model RR so much more!!!

This will be built as a Central American RR in the modern era using SSW/SP and UP motive power serving a few select industries in an ISL format. The mian attraction being my GP 40-2 PhII's and a GP 38-2

Now starts the fun part 2285_ You got a solid base and the fine weathered SSW engine is a real beauty. Is it the Atlas GP40? I have got two of them and they are extreme smooth runners.
Reinhard
I may possibly lay the track as below for a start and see how opperations play out and decide what is best for the final design..

[Image: SSWUPISL144.jpg]
Thanks Reinhard,

Yes it's a gold series GP 40 -2 PhII and oh yes, it runs very smooth!!! I hope I can achieve some of the detila you have shown on your layouts, watching all your posts with gret interest. Please stay tuned to this and comment whenever you want, I need lots of advise and help and have most of your tutorials etc saved... I don't have a lot to reference my laypout too so need help deciding where to place what scenery and how to balance everything so as to create a good flow to the layout.... Wanting a greener vegitation to the classic Miami style, something witha good deal of green belt between the industries...

Thank you for your comments...

Callum
Managed to get some track down inthe last few evenings and made a small change to the plan that I felt worked better with the layout as it stands. Would liek some comments if anyone can see any pitfalls...

First the modified plan:

Here are a few photos... I laid the track using a straight edge and double sided tape in small pieces at the important points to hold the track> I plan is to lay this as is and then opperate it to be sure I am hapy and to iron out any issues. Then I will mark the track possitions and lift it, weather it and do any scenery sculpting or cange the levels etc... Then paint the base colour and install the track followed by all the wiring... I need to get the lights installed next so I can see better too.. It is taking time but I am doing each step properly and it will have a finished facia on the top and bottom once I have all the levels sorted out...

Here are a few photos of the laid tack:

Attached Files Image(s)

SSWUPinSA Wrote:...I plan is to lay this as is and then opperate it to be sure I am hapy and to iron out any issues....

I like that approach! Do not forget to test with different of todays engines. Some RR like to run two Genset as a switcher. You will be shocked about the consume of track length just for the switcher.... Give it a try with two GP38 etc. at least
Reinhard
Nice Work!!! Worship Worship Worship

Looks like I have some catching up to do :?
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Lights are up....Track wired simply and a few visitors came to see whats going on in their cars and trucks!!!

UPY 833 comes and has a look to see whats switching???

Some first freight being loaded...

Some traffic on Otterman St