boy, am I steamed!!!...
No, I don't mean I am going to use steam on my layout. However, hopefully, someone here can explain to me why my computer won't let me send e-mails. I get a "505" error message "you are not allowed to send messages to" with the e-mail recipients address following. I have spent countless hours trying to resolve this problem. Microsoft is NO help, and I've tried tech forums until I can't remember which ones I've already tried. MS wants me to pay $35.00 just to ask one question. And $35.00 for each question thereafter. (why I hate Microsoft.) I'm currently using OE 6.0 sp2. HELP!!!
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
First thing I would try would be a system restore (assuming you are using XP) then Spybot search and destroy in safe mode. If you come up clean then you might uninstall outlook express and reinstall it. It is a windows component so you have to go to add or remove programs, windows components. You will need a windows disk to install OE. Make sure you save your address book and messages first.
You may have a problem with your server to, Have you called them?
sgtcarl1 Wrote:No, I don't mean I am going to use steam on my layout. However, hopefully, someone here can explain to me why my computer won't let me send e-mails. I get a "505" error message "you are not allowed to send messages to" with the e-mail recipients address following. I have spent countless hours trying to resolve this problem. Microsoft is NO help, and I've tried tech forums until I can't remember which ones I've already tried. MS wants me to pay $35.00 just to ask one question. And $35.00 for each question thereafter. (why I hate Microsoft.) I'm currently using OE 6.0 sp2. HELP!!!

Where are you getting your error message? In a popup box on your screen when you click on "send" (or whatever the equivalent button is called in Outlook Express), or in a returned email message?

Stein
Better yet....Give OE the heave and enroll yourself in one of the many free e-mail services out there. I've been using Hotmail (hotmail.com) for longer than I care to remember without any problems.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
What email provider are you using? We need alittle more information. THere's nothing wrong with OE, it's a fine mail client and there are advantages to a purely web-based option. Most web-based providers work both ways.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
My internet provider is Suddenlink. So my e-mail address is @suddenlink.net. I would switch to a different e-mail handler, but wouldn't I have to use another e-mail address? The error message appears in a pop-up window as soon as try to send it. I have no problems receiving e-mail. I have re-checked the e-mail settings so many times , I can't count that high. Suddenlink can't find the problem, either. All advice is greatly appreciated, and I am considering all options suggested.
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
sgtcarl1 Wrote:My internet provider is Suddenlink. So my e-mail address is @suddenlink.net. I would switch to a different e-mail handler, but wouldn't I have to use another e-mail address?

Yes, you would.

But you can e.g. try changing your email client (e.g. downloading Mozilla Thunderbird from http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/) and see if you can send email through your email provider using a different client. Most modern email clients will do stuff like importing your old address book and provider setup etc from your old email client.

That would take Microsoft out of the loop, and simplify your problem to one between you and your ISP/email provider, if the problem still persists using another email client.

sgtcarl1 Wrote:The error message appears in a pop-up window as soon as try to send it. I have no problems receiving e-mail. I have re-checked the e-mail settings so many times , I can't count that high. Suddenlink can't find the problem, either. All advice is greatly appreciated, and I am considering all options suggested.

Have you made any recent changes to your computer - new version of anti-virus software, updated version or OE or anything like that?

Smile,
Stein
Since you've talked to your ISP, I can only assume that they've checked to see if OE is configured properly. If not, try this:

Quote:To resolve this issue, configure Outlook Express to send authentication credentials:

On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
Click the current user account.
Click Properties.
Click the Servers tab.
Under Outgoing Mail Server, click to select the My server requires authentication check box.
Click Settings.
In the Logon Information dialog box, select one of the three following options:
Use same setting as my Incoming Mail server. The authentication credentials in the Incoming Mail Server option.
Log on using. Type the user account and password of the current user.
Log on using Secure Password Authentication. An authentication credential is displayed every time a message is sent.
Click OK until the Internet dialog box appears, and then click Close.
Compose a new message and send it.

Good luck
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD