Backdrop at the Team Track
I did some touch-up work tonight, and then cleaned the area up and ran some trains past it. I gotta tell you, the photos above don't do it justice. I'm quite proud of how this is turning out, and I'm quite confident that the entire backdrop will turn out well. It really does look super in person.

Now, what I am not confident with is doing the bushes and trees along the treeline. Reason is, it has to come out right the first time. No do-overs on this without a major redo of alot of the buildings.
very convincing!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Immaculate Work Gary!!

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
Gary S Wrote:I did some touch-up work tonight, and then cleaned the area up and ran some trains past it. I gotta tell you, the photos above don't do it justice. I'm quite proud of how this is turning out, and I'm quite confident that the entire backdrop will turn out well. It really does look super in person.

Now, what I am not confident with is doing the bushes and trees along the treeline. Reason is, it has to come out right the first time. No do-overs on this without a major redo of alot of the buildings.

Gary.

Is there space for you to do some model trees in front of the buildings, rather than painting them on over the backdrop? Or what about sealing the buildings first, and then painting the trees? That might make it more forgiving in that you might be able to wipe off any major mistakes (not that you make them Wink ) before they dry? Or even painting the trees on a clear layer of some sort (do they make "matte" plastic sheets?)?

Andrew
Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I know that Lance Mindheim suggests to not paint buildings on the backdrop, but I can't agree with him, at least in the case of an industrial shelf layout set at 58" AFF.

The trees and bushes are as in the following:

Andrew, I did some practice painting on a piece of masonite last night, will do some more practicing until I feel confident I can get the trees and vines right on the first try. I don't think it would look right to use small 3D trees and vines along the fence. Now, there will be a full scale 3D barbed wire fence with trees and weeds between the tracks and the backdrop.

Will get the trees painted in this weekend, then on to the next project - more backdrop painting, although this one will be a mix of backdrop and low relief structures.
Gary,

I think -- I know! -- that you will do well. And your multi-layer approach with layers of painted backdrop and then 3D materials in front reminds me of the approach used in theatre. I don't have a lot of recent experience, but I was involved a lot in high school and university days in various productions. Sets were basically layers of 2D paintings or other structures, with 3D items in the foreground.

Looking forward to seeing the results!

Andrew
Gary - you'll do fine. Just remember to color match the trees & shrubs (distant trees more blue than green, etc.) and apply the same techniques you use on the structures to duplicate what you see. You are wise to practice first!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Wow. Just WOW. (It's all I can come up with, I'm speechless which is wierd for me) 35
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]
Looks absolutely excellent. A sort of modern day Edward Hopper thing going on here. Cheers