Backdrop at the Team Track
Quote:I just like the connection to the outdoors.

Cheers

Several years back there was an a layout feature article in MR about an artist's logging themed layout in his studio. Beautiful layout, but the most striking feature was the backdrop. The layout, if I recall, was stretched out along one long wall with a pair or three big windows in the middle. The builder had made the backdrop panels to set into the window frame when focusing on the layout, or to be removed when working in his studio. As an artist he valued the natural light and, I would imagine, the inspiration that came from a beautiful view of a wooded area on his property.

I thought about doing something similar with the high, short window above my layout, but I really appreciate the natural light it offers. Plus, there's an african violet in that window we haven't been able to kill so it must really like that spot. It shouldn't be a distraction when trains are running.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Quote: e-paw, The brown areas around that are powder from a dirt road near where I live
You know Gary, sometimes, someone has to point out the obvious to you. Nope I've lived on a dirt road for five years now and never thought scenery Material!!! Nope If it ever stops raining here I have to I have to acquire some.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  

Hey, I've gotten to where the thought is always in the back of my mind.... "can that be used for my scenery?" I've picked up dirt from probably 10 different places - different textures, different colors. I've found dirt in colors of almost white, light gray, dark gray, tan, and brown, mostly from dirt roads, but you can also find powdery stuff on older asphalt roads too. Just take a broom and start sweeping the stuff into piles. Those in the know always caution about magnetic particles, so maybe run a magnet through the stuff first... but if it is going to get a good soaking of white glue to hold it down, like would be done with ballast, I'm not so sure that the magnetic stuff is that big of a problem.

As for the rain, we could use some of that! We're in a major drought, with just about 10 minutes of rain in the last two months.
Looking great..!! Are you taking measurements off the photos and transferring them to the drawing, or just "eye-balling" them in..?? However you're doing it, it looks fantastic..!! Thumbsup

We got you beat on the rain issue....We've had about 20 minutes' worth.... Nope
Gus (LC&P).
The forum is killing me today. This is the third time to reply to this thread. When I hit submit, the forum tells me I am logged out, and I lose what I have typed.

phpBB Shoot

Gus, first I printed out the photos at the size I wanted, then taped all the photos together. Used a long straightedge to make sure all the buildings were level. There are over 20 photos in all, and the whole thing is around 6 feet long. Then I used a level to align the photos on the wall and taped them down. From that, I use a "measuring stick" to establish the major points of the buildings. The photo is an example. Once the major points are dotted in, they are connected together with a straight edge.

For vertical lines, I taped a yardstick to the wall, making sure it is level. Then a small draftsman's triangle is used.

Here is what I am working on today:

Maannn...You've got this background thing down to a science. It looks PERFECT..!!

It seems to be a lot of work, but the results are well worth it.... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Gus, it's not so much art, as it is duplicating. But I am beginning to feel like an artist to a certain extent.

Been wroking on various areas of the project today. The left side is getting there. There will be a painted on fence with vines and bushes and trees in front of the entire facility - like the real thing. Leaving that for last.

Gary S Wrote:Gus, it's not so much art, as it is duplicating. But I am beginning to feel like an artist to a certain extent.

At least its......fascinating.
Jens
Here's where the backdrop is today:

The future chain link fence and vegetation will partially obscure the lower portion of the parking lot including the forklift and machinery.

That's amazing, Gary!

Love the details and I agree that the backdrop works better painted than if you would have used the photos themselves.

Will definitely use your tutorials when I do up my backdrops.
Marc

Bar Extension - 5' x 2.5' N-scale layout plus two decks of shelf layout
This backdrop is sort of like a DIY paint by numbers project only waaaaay better.

I like the idea of naming the business after Bil. I think he would appreciate the engineering aspects.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Gary S Wrote:Hey, I've gotten to where the thought is always in the back of my mind.... "can that be used for my scenery?" I've picked up dirt from probably 10 different places - different textures, different colors. I've found dirt in colors of almost white, light gray, dark gray, tan, and brown, mostly from dirt roads, but you can also find powdery stuff on older asphalt roads too. Just take a broom and start sweeping the stuff into piles. Those in the know always caution about magnetic particles, so maybe run a magnet through the stuff first... but if it is going to get a good soaking of white glue to hold it down, like would be done with ballast, I'm not so sure that the magnetic stuff is that big of a problem.

Cheers And that sounds like the best description of the moment when one makes the final move from toy trains, to model railroads--------that point, where the mind thinks-- " can be used for my scenery, or as part of a building, or for water, etc,,etc.,etc.."......that point where LPBs stop being "figures", and become "inhabitants".

I am really becoming seriously interested in your approach to backdrops. That is working, like nothing else I've ever seen.
Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thanks everybody. To a certain extent, the work is fun, but on the other hand, it can be tedious. Still, I am quite pleased with the way this is turning out.

Alot of the backdrop will be generic treelines, and they will go much faster than all the detail work on the buildings. Also, I am not convinced that the detail work needs to be taken to this level. Just doing the basic shapes would be quicker. Conventional wisdom says not to do a detailed backdrop because it will distract from the layout, but with a 24" wide shelf, I'm thinking that the backdrop is part of the layout... why not have the visitors looking at it closely?

Also, since I have done a few ops sessions on Mike Spoor's CB&Q layout, while running the trains, the backdrop is certainly not a distraction, because 95% of the focus is on the trains anyway.
All that is left now is some minor details, the Marsland American sign, and then the painted trees and vines along the fenceline.
The photos are from left to right, and each is 12 to 14 inches wide.

You know, it's kinda got that 'hot day haze' look to it. VERY nice. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!