Shop and/or RIP track moves
So, now your yard switcher can be productive after all, by actually "earning money" by switching cars. The best part here is that you don't need a "physical building" to have a trackside industry. All you need is a spare "Team Track" and a little imagination.
----------------------------
Steve,That would not be the job of the yard crew..Their job is to classify cars into trains.

Back in the day there was a Traveling Switch Engine(TSE job) that switched the freight house,team track and produce track.Another TSE job would switch the ice track and any industries located within the limits of the yard.

In smaller yards then there would be one TSE that covered the needed switching.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Sorry Brakie....but I know, first hand, that some railroads operate this way. The NYS&W and Conrail (Dewitt Yard) both used yard crews to service RIP, TEAM and other misc. tracks. I was employed by both roads as a trainman (brakeman), conductor and engineer. We did all sorts of moves within yards - including servicing team tracks, not just "classing" trains.

The point I am making here is for MODEL RAILROADS! I am just trying to help modelers with another facet of yard operations. With a MODEL RAILROAD, it's ok to let your "yard crew" do anything YOU want in YOUR yard. With a REAL railroad, the work has to get done - NO MATTER WHAT CREW does it.
Doing my best to stay on track and to live each day to it's fullest, trying not to upset people along the way. I have no enemies.....just friends who don't understand my point of view.

Steve

Let's go Devils!
Steve,I think we are talking different eras..

I know without a doubt on the PRR there was a TSE crew that handled the team and surrounding industries. On the Chessie in Russell the TSE crews main job was shops and RIP. We still had a caboose switch crew at Russell.

Of course back then there was union job classes and job discriptions involve as well..

Serious operators with large DCC or in some cases DC layouts built for operation can emulate several yard jobs to include the TSE,caboose switch job and hostler.

Even today there's a "caboose" crew..Of course he now drives a pickup truck and mounts a EOTD on the rear coupler of the last car.A far cry from the days of old just like the one man yard crews. Sad
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Oh Brakie, now you did it, you mentioned that "u" word. Unions!

Yes, I think we are looking at 2 different era's with these moves. I am giving modeling information about Shop/RIP and Team track moves based on my more recent experieces, with 2 different types of railroads that I worked for, who performed these moves daily. I have worked for both a Class 1 (Conrail) and a Class 2 (NYSW). Both roads performed these moves daily, but both had their own way of doing them. Let me try to explain because it may give some of you some insight on how you can operate your layout depending on what road your modeling. Though BOTH railroads were unionized, both operated with 2 different charecteristics.

With the NYSW, train crews were ordered, mostly, around customer needs. I can't tell you how many times we had to wait for the inbound interchange with that "hot car" for ABC company to arrive, before we could go to work. There was no 9-5 job on the railroad. There was no "routine" for the local. You serviced EVERY customer that needed a switch, when they needed a switch. That was the "shortline" way. Every customer was, basically, your employer. An NYSW train crew did it all. A train crew could start out as a yard job and turn into a local if a customer needed a switch outside of the yard. You could NEVER count on a 8 hour day on a shortline. We moved power in the shop, switched cars to and from RIP tracks, team tracks, and yard tracks, and interchanged cars between different railroads. We ran as locals serving customers on different branches. Some days were spent, in Utica NY, switching passenger cars in and out of the shop. We even ran "deadhead" passenger trains to get the equipment to a certain location for a trip. Local crews were in charge of their own brake tests, including hanging their own marker.

With Conrail, it was a bit different, in some ways. 1st of all, most yard jobs and locals were SCHEDULED! They had a certain route or track to run, serviced who needed to be serviced while they were out there - even if it was only 1 customer! The yard jobs did much the same as NYSW. They made up trains, switched team track customers within the yard and put the defective cars to/from the RIP/Shop tracks. Train crews knew when they were going to work and, sometimes knew how long they would be out there. The only thing they never did was "hostle" power. CR had their own shop "hostlers". As for "classing trains", CR relied on 2 jobs for this. The "humper" and the "puller". The humper, of course, was in charge of pushing the inbound cars over the hump at one end of the yard, into the class yard. The puller pulled the cars from the different class tracks to make up outbound trains at the other end of the yard. (I would LOVE to see that modeled someday). Conrail had their own car dept. which was in charge of all brake tests in the yard. They hung all markers on trains in the yard. Outside of the yard, it was up to the train crew.

The difference between the two roads was that, I believe, more customer loyalty is shown by the shortline because without the customer, their is no shortline. With the Class 1, well, not so much loyalty. Yes some crews were dedicated to their job, while others, well, not so much. It was a paycheck, even if the work did not get done.

I have tried to adapt some of these moves for modeling purposes only. I am trying to convey to other modelers that there is so much more that goes on behind the scenes on the railroad than just running trains. It's these "behind the scenes" moves, that can make for some interesting, and unusual operations.

Shop, RIP and Team track moves are easy operating installations without "high price" additions to your layout. You don't need fancy warehouses or buildings. You don't need certain railcars or rollingstock. These are quick, simple additions that can be made to ANY Layout in ANY scale. Using some of the information I have given, you can create just about any scenerio you want.

But Beware..your operators may start asking if they can 'organize'. 357
Doing my best to stay on track and to live each day to it's fullest, trying not to upset people along the way. I have no enemies.....just friends who don't understand my point of view.

Steve

Let's go Devils!
Back in the day those runs would be covered by various crews due to job description and Union work rules and that would be one of the things one would need to emulate on larger(read Godzilla) size layouts if one is emulating prototypical yard operation.

However..

Most layout size yards wouldn't even warrant a shop or RIP track no more then they would require a 24/7 yard crew or large engine servicing areas with roundhouse unless its a crew/engine change point since our yards look more like out laying industrial yards or a yard in a small city or town that has a local crew based there..

Of course I've always opt for the more prototypical approach to my small yards,that of a small intermediate yard that a local or two works out of.

Now a small yard will work for a short line as well and it could feature a engine house and small servicing area.

However,some short lines don't even have a engine house or yard.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie;

I like to model the "what if...." scenerio's. Or, as the old saying goes:

It's not the size of the yard that matters, it's the action in it. Icon_lol

I should coin that phrase. Cheers

Steve

Let's go Devils!