Scratchbuilding PRR MP54
Does anyone have some good pictures of the roof and pantograph of the PRR MP-54? I am looking for something clear enough to model off of.

Also, does anyone know if the PRR used the same pantograph on the MP-54s and the P5s?
No, sorry to say I can't help you with any pictures...

But I will say a great big, Big Blue Welcome Welcome Welcome to the forum.

I bet there are some folks here who can point you in the right direction and get the pictures you need. Good luck!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Ooooooohhhh Another PRR guy?????? 2285_ 2285_ 2285_

Do you mean the "Owl" cars or later models?? I have to look and see if I have any pics, but let me know what era or model you're looking for Goldth

................and Welcome Aboard Big Blue!!!!!! Welcome
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
there are MP54 kits out there, such as those from Funaro & Camerlengo, and if you have big bucks, RTR powered MP54s by Concor. I to have several different MP54 kits, including the old Walthers ones, and the F&C ones. (speaking of which, i need to finish my F&C ones)

that said, if you still want to scatchbuild, a recent PRRH&TS "Keystone" has good plans for the MP54.

The May 1974 issue of Model Railroader has a good article on scratch building the pantographs, including different dimensions for particular types (GE, Westinghouse). However, i think the author was modeling based off of New Haven types. I think the MP54s really did have larger pantographs like on the locomotives (unlike say, Reading company Green/Blueliners).
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess i failed to mention I am kitbashing a "bride and groom" in G-scale (1:29). Everything is so expensive in large scale I can have a whole train with two or three cars.

I am planning on the "owl" type. I have the PRRH&TS "Keystone" from last winter, it is a great article, it just doesn't have the money shot I need for the roof detail. Hopefully I can find that May '74 MR.

I wish there was more PRR in G scale, I would love to have an M1!
Thaddeus Wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess i failed to mention I am kitbashing a "bride and groom" in G-scale (1:29). Everything is so expensive in large scale I can have a whole train with two or three cars.

I am planning on the "owl" type. I have the PRRH&TS "Keystone" from last winter, it is a great article, it just doesn't have the money shot I need for the roof detail. Hopefully I can find that May '74 MR.

I wish there was more PRR in G scale, I would love to have an M1!

There isn't a whole lot going on atop the roof of a MP54. One "good" picture can be found in the PRR, PC, and Conrail CT.290 manuals. they have a picture of the pantograph area around an MP54. They are clear enough to make out the important parts. After that, most of the MP54 roof is barren.

I know there is a PRR and a PC CT290 online somewhere, but for the life of me i cannot find them. I do have the PRR one downloaded, and maybe the Penn Central. I also have two of the Conrail CT290s, which still feature MP54s, but i don't know how clearly i could scan it in.

PM me your Email, i'll try to send you the PRR one.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]