Computer-aided photos for Sweethome Alabama
Following a discussion on photography and depth of field in another forum, I downloaded a 4-week trial of some computer software called Helicon focus

http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html

Simply put, the software takes a number of partially-focused photos and layers them on top of one another to produce a single perfectly focused shot.

Here are my first two attempts. The first photo used 16 layers and a tripod, the second used 8 layers and the camera was perched on the layout. I think a tripod is the way to go.

I had to reduce the size of the final images to get them under 2mb and I dare say I could have edited the photos further using Photoshop or Picasa3

[Image: 11-07-20_hf1.jpg]

[Image: 11-07-20_hf2.jpg]

I still have a way to go but am quite pleased with the results so far.

Jon
Sweethome Chicago is now on Facebook

Sweethome Alabama is now on Facebook

Hudson Road is now on Facebook

my videos

my Railimages
You have good reason to be pleased Jon! I haven't heard of this program but it certainly seems to yield nice results!
Ralph
Nice, real nice. This looks like a program that will help a lot of us amateurs. I know that I am frequently shooting a lot more shots than I need to and I'm usually disappointed with the final results regardless of what I do. Regular photo editing programs don't help that much, but this one looks promising. Thanks for posting this.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Thanks for the favourable comments and helpful tips, guys. This is definitely the way to go.

I 've uploaded the third photo to Railimages, showing a CSX SD35 passing the West Yard at Sweethome Alabama. I used the Helicon Focus software again but also cropped and edited the photo in Picasa3, as well

The full sized photo is on the SWA facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweethome...2969884638

[Image: 11-07-23.jpg]

Hopefully time for another one tonight

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
Great looking photos, being a Conrail fan enjoyed the CR GP 10

Bruce
Jon...My hat's off to you....Absolutely top level modeling...AND photgraphy.... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Great prototype photos! Thumbsup

Oh right, these are models. Still hard to believe. A testament to your superb modelling skills that I have to look twice to convince myself they are a model. Goldth

Looking forward to seeing more. 2285_
Marc

Bar Extension - 5' x 2.5' N-scale layout plus two decks of shelf layout
I've had a bit more practice with the new software and am finding new capabilities and functions all the time. I also decided to try a photo or two at Sweethome Chicago for comparison purposes. The photos were also cropped and edited using Picasa3.

[Image: 11-07-25.jpg]

[Image: 11-07-22_181839_M_B_R_8_S_1.jpg]

[Image: 11-07-22_181839s.jpg]

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
Jon Grant 4472 Wrote:[Image: 11-07-25.jpg]
This is THE best Model Railroad photo I have EVER seen. Worship
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Thanks for that Justin, you're way too kind :oops:

A few more practice shots

[Image: 11-07-22_232623_M_B_R_8_S_1.jpg]

[Image: 11-07-22_223215bw.jpg]

[Image: 11-07-22_223215_M_B_R_8_S_1.jpg]

I still have some issues with re-sizing, but that will come with practice

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
I think your modelling and photography are in line with Ran Hood and George Sellios and other great modellers that can so painstakingly recreate real life scenes in miniature. An inspiration for us all! Thanks for sharing. Worship
Marc

Bar Extension - 5' x 2.5' N-scale layout plus two decks of shelf layout
Thanks Marc, way too kind.

After a couple of false starts and overlit photos, I eventually got another photo uploaded.

[Image: retouch.jpg]

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
Outstanding Jon---you have raised your excellent photography skills to a higher level Thumbsup Cheers
Jon,

the first batch of photos did not convince me, but the two below are in a quality not often reached before - top notch.
I wish there were more ppl that could do both - good modeling AND good photography.

[Image: 11-07-25.jpg]

[Image: retouch.jpg]
Jens
That last one, with the SCL loco, is absolutely AMAZING, right down to the leaf litter along the tracks. Great modeling plus outstanding photography.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com