USATC S160 2-8-0 in HO scale RTR!!!
Hi Everyone, Patrick Durand <!-- e --><a href="mailtoConfusedewtrain@mtaonline.net">sewtrain@mtaonline.net</a><!-- e --> is currently working on a project to produce a Ready to Run US Army Transportation Corps WW2 S160 class 2-8-0. I've copied his last newsleter on this page with his contact details. These locomotives ran almost all over the world, including Alaska, the Reader Railroad, andcurrently the TVRM. It may be worth dropping him a line if you are interested. Hope everyone is having fun - David Notarius, London UK (ex New Hope Pa)

To all you railroaders who want to see the S-160 class locomotives in HO scale.

The response to the s-160 model survey continues to grow. In the past 48 hours there have been 21 new responses. Many are coming from Poland and Turkey. As of today there have been 177 respondents world wide with informal requests for over 250 units. I am now forwarding all responses to parties responsible for the project development. First thank you for participating in my informal survey which is ongoing. The U.S. Army Transportation Corp S-160 Consolidation 2-8-0 locomotive, as many of you know, saw wide distribution and many years service around the world. My personal interest are the 12 units that formed the 550 class on the Alaska Railroad.

Your comments on the survey are very important to the planning process. Please send photos of specific prototypes and special features you might like to see produced and I will have them forwarded until such time as the manufacturer is ready to announce the model and an official discussion Forum for the s-160. While I am not at liberty to name the source for the proposed HO scale model, I wanted you all to know this is a serious effort. I have been authorized to offer this statement for your consideration. The project for the H0-scale S-160 was scheduled to be started in 2009, but due to the current economy slow-down it will be postponed a few months. Meanwhile, we are collecting all available data for all commercially interesting versions. We believe that a good knowledge of the prototype, combined with an accurate modular project, will allow for many different versions without major tooling changes. The model will feature die-cast and plastic parts; motor and flywheel will be concealed in the boiler, and transmission will be hidden into the firebox. Of course it will be DCC and Sound ready, however we haven't yet decided if these features will be factory-installed.

The model will be available only as R-T-R. An undecorated version will be marketed for those wishing to modify it to depict a specific prototype.We also plan to open a specific discussion Forum on our website, so people will be able to exchange their knowledge and even custom-made parts.
Patrick J. Durand, Wasilla, Alaska

Attached Files Image(s)

Other photo showing armed guard.
" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
That would be a cool model to see. I'm surprised one isn't produced already, as I see a huge potential crossover with military modelers as well.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:That would be a cool model to see. I'm surprised one isn't produced already, as I see a huge potential crossover with military modelers as well.
Here is a good starting point if you get one. A Hornby 2-8-0.
frank

Is that a CNJ SW behind the 8F? Nice but the Hornby 8f is in OO scale and would need a bit of cutting down / filling in, and kit bashing. There was an arcle back in the early 1990's about converting an MDC/Roundhouse HO Harriman 2-8-0 into an OO s160 in one of the british mags.

Here's a new link!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.alaskarails.org/whats-hot/S-160.html">http://www.alaskarails.org/whats-hot/S-160.html</a><!-- m -->

Have fun - Dave

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:by CNJ774 on Sep 18th, '11, 18:39

Is that a CNJ SW behind the 8F? Nice but the Hornby 8f is in OO scale and would need a bit of cutting down / filling in, and kit bashing. There was an article back in the early 1990's about converting an MDC/Roundhouse HO Harriman 2-8-0 into an OO s160 in one of the British mags.

Dave ; Yes it is a Athearn SW7 or mis-named 1500. Next to it is a CNJ Walters FM H-10-44. Also with the Santa fe, Harriman and Pennsy boilers as the choice. The Pennsy would have to be the one to start with. The Hornby isn't a straight boiler so a more work would have to be done to it. Now I don't have a MDC PRR 2-8-0, but I do have a Hornby 2-8-0. So you use what you got. And I won't be doing this in even the distant future. To much else on the to do list.
frank
I have a spare Harriman MDC/Roundhouse boiler if you want it, Dave
Hi Guys; Here's another S160 page. Mainly about the current restoration of Alaska Railroad 557:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.alaskarails.org/pix/former-loco/557/index.html">http://www.alaskarails.org/pix/former-l ... index.html</a><!-- m -->

Cheers

Anyone heard any rummors that Bachmann China is doing the Chinese S160, also known as the KD6? Any truth? Have fun - Dave , again!
Good Evening,

Is there any news regarding the creation, production and distribution of an affordable RTR S-160? I hope that the program has not lost momentum. I would be very interested in purchasing several of them myself. If anyone has any news to share please pass it along.

Thanks

Sincerely,
Hasn't Roco announced it?
Don't give too much hope of it:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.roco.cc/de/product/227411-0-0-2-3-0-0-002001/products.html">http://www.roco.cc/de/product/227411-0- ... ducts.html</a><!-- m -->
Notice the price of € 474,00
That are Euros and with 1 € is 0.73 $ the price will be in US Dollars about 650 Bucks.

And be prepared to get a toy train or in the best case a camouflaged toy train. Deep flanges, rubber traction tired wheels on the tender drive, fast speed gears and some times a third rail pick up shoe. And the ability to run on third rail system of Märklin will generate too much compromises to become a state of the art model.
No Sirs this is concepted for European toy train needs.

Lutz
Yes.............I KNOW this is an old thread but maybe someone is still interested in the S-160 models. I have a few made by Model Loco (DJH) and they are beautiful kits. Pewter and brass etchings. Nice motors and they run well. Surprisingly simple to assemble and so far superior to any steam kits made in the USA.

Roco has an RTR S-160 that's amazing! It's plastic with a free-wheeling engine and a tender drive and comes with DCC and sound. There are several versions available like USA/UK, Greek(?) and some others. It's Swiss Watch smooth with lots of added on details.

oldline1
Well the Transportation corps locos seen here are mostly if not all World War 2 vintage. I have two early WW1 2-8-0 locos that were destined to go to France, but at the outbreak of US involvement were temporarily issued till 200 2-10-0's ordered for the Russian government by the Russian Czar who was overthrown could be converted to US operation of which I have 2 of them also. The first are Rivarossi models I re-lettered in the bold USA tender markings with the appropriate numbering for those issued to the Central Railroad of New Jersey. The second pair are Bachmann Russian Decapods I had to kit-bash and add a lot of new detail too. Many things had to be made for this backdating transformation. These also are numbered properly for two that were issued to the CRRofNJ.

frank

Attached Files Image(s)

Frank: are the 2-8-0 s with tender motor/loco drive? I've had one since the 60s but all the metal bits have succumbed to zincpest (German term for zamak rot).
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
David. Yes, the first old one's are tender drives. It is too nice a model to throw away. So goes most die cast items. Nothing to really worry about. If the tender body is OK, replace the floor with wood and stain the new floor piece black. Once you do this first thing, the floor replacement, you have become a kit basher, a self-reliant model railroader.