Big Blue Shortline Operator
I have been thinking that with all of the ISLs on this forum, that it would be fun to create a fictional holding company that could "own" participating members freelance short-lines, It would be somewhat like a fictional version of Pioneer Rail or Railamerica.
I think this would be a fun way to connect our railroads.

Would anybody be interesting in participating? If so please share any ideas for names and/or logos.
Here is one that FCIN made:
[Image: file.php?id=10757]
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
What is a ISL? Independent Shortline?
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:What is a ISL? Independent Shortline?

"Industrial Switching Layout" - forum poster Brakie's relatively personal abbreviation for what other people call "a small switching layout". Some people around here have picked it up from Brakie, other still call it a switching layout :-)

Smile,
Stein
Stein,I actually picked up "ISL" at a local Advance Layout Planing seminar so,I can't take the credit for ISL.

I just like the term and besides all that it cuts down on my one finger typing. Icon_lol
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:Stein,I actually picked up "ISL" at a local Advance Layout Planing seminar so,I can't take the credit for ISL.

I know. Heard it before. Didn't say you invented the abbreviation. Someone else in some local group you are a member of did.

But spotting the acronym ISL in an Internet model railroading forums is a pretty good indication of "Brakie was here" :-)

Grin,
Stein
Back to the topic at hand...

Isn't BBSO the same as "We are wondering what you think about this...."

The whole concept is an exercise in herding cats
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
TinGoat Wrote:Back to the topic at hand...

Isn't BBSO the same as "We are wondering what you think about this...."

A short-line operator isn't a railroad itself, although it could be(Such as the Genesee and Wyoming). It is a company that owns shortline railroads, this would allow us to feel that our railroads are connected without having to agree on a railroad and without having to change any of our equipment or layouts.
Justin Miller
TinGoat Wrote:The whole concept is an exercise in herding cats

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

I've known you, on, and off, for a number of years, as a narrow gauge, On30, modeler ---- I didn't know you were into herding cats.

You must keep them on a very fine line ( interpret that as "narrow path " ) Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Hey, I just posted, that needing to know why , is driving me sane! Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Justinmiller171 Wrote:I have been thinking , that it would be fun to create a fictional holding company that could "own" participating members freelance short-lines.

The folks at Sagaponack Montauk and Cindys Harbor, might consider that, but, unfortunately we are owned by the Shipyard, and they aren't going to let that happen .

quote="TinGoat" Back to the topic at hand...Isn't BBSO the same as --
"We are wondering what you think about this...."

As Ron points out, Cheers this is quite similar enough to take care of things. It is meant to be a Global rail entity, that connects all of our rail lines, and our participation on "The-Gauge".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:As Ron points out, Cheers this is quite similar enough to take care of things. It is meant to be a Global rail entity, that connects all of our rail lines, and our participation on "The-Gauge".

It's not really that similar, my idea would allow people to keep their railroad as it is, What Ron was pointing out would require changing your railroad to be a member and I don't think very many people would want to do that(me included).

Here is an example of what I want to emulate:http://www.pioneer-railcorp.com
Justin Miller
G'day All,
3 points on the current discussion:
1. How about having 'Big Blue' as a loco leasing company specializing in switchers? This would allow people to keep their layout's identities and also bring in some BB lettered power from time to time.
2. Regarding a paint scheme/lettering/logo. Keep it simple, remember N scale locos don't have a lot of space for logos, especially switchers.
3. Unless someone is able to print the decals for the rest of us you would also need to allow for home printing of decals for people without an ALPS printer and so cannot print white lettering on their computer printers.
As I move into building an N scale modular industrial switching layout I am considering making it an operation of the Aberdeen & Rockfish, like the PEE DEE River Railway and the Dunn-Erwin Rwy. This allows me to run both A&R and `home road' locos, plus lease locos like 'Big Blue Leasing'.
I hope this helps the discussion.
Regards,
Andrew G.
Always learning, from both wins and losses.
My Model Railway blog: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ttrakandrew.wordpress.com/">http://ttrakandrew.wordpress.com/</a><!-- m -->
My FlickR Photostream: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/85896932@N07/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/85896932@N07/</a><!-- m -->
TTRAK_andrew Wrote:G'day All,
3 points on the current discussion:
1. How about having 'Big Blue' as a loco leasing company specializing in switchers? This would allow people to keep their layout's identities and also bring in some BB lettered power from time to time.
2. Regarding a paint scheme/lettering/logo. Keep it simple, remember N scale locos don't have a lot of space for logos, especially switchers.
3. Unless someone is able to print the decals for the rest of us you would also need to allow for home printing of decals for people without an ALPS printer and so cannot print white lettering on their computer printers.
As I move into building an N scale modular industrial switching layout I am considering making it an operation of the Aberdeen & Rockfish, like the PEE DEE River Railway and the Dunn-Erwin Rwy. This allows me to run both A&R and `home road' locos, plus lease locos like 'Big Blue Leasing'.
I hope this helps the discussion.
Regards,
Andrew G.

Nice idea Andrew, Shortline operators often have their own engines that they move around to the various shortlines they own when their engines are in need of repair etc.

A few points I need to clear up though,
1. Joining this would require NO modification to any equipment, you get to keep your paint scheme, reporting marks, and everything else.

2.The only thing that would change is that your railroad would be "owned' by the fictional "Big Blue Lines" or whatever you want to name it
Justin Miller
So... does anybody want to join? it is open to all eras and locales.
Justin Miller
Somebody is not paying attention.Nobody has to repaint,reletter,or relogo anything.The whole idea is a worldwide railroad with the same name everywhere.This railroad is owned by who ever models any part of it.

The thing is it is to be seperate from Big Blue but still owned by the members.Your commitment to this RR can be as much or as little as you want.The only requirements will be your locos (if you choose to get that involved) will be what ever colour is sellected by the group for the era your modeling in.The same goes for rolling stock.

It simply will not be done as a holding company .So if someone wants to do a Big Blue holding company go for it.This hobby and this forum are certainly big enough for both ways.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Catt Wrote:Somebody is not paying attention.Nobody has to repaint,reletter,or relogo anything.
How would you participate in modelling the worldwide railroad idea without repainting or re-lettering anything?

Catt Wrote:The whole idea is a worldwide railroad with the same name everywhere.This railroad is owned by who ever models any part of it.

The thing is it is to be seperate from Big Blue but still owned by the members.Your commitment to this RR can be as much or as little as you want.The only requirements will be your locos (if you choose to get that involved) will be what ever colour is sellected by the group for the era your modeling in.The same goes for rolling stock.

That is good, but there are people who have their hearts set on their own railroad, but still want to have their railroad connected to Big Blue. And I think a fictional holding company is the best solution to this.

Catt Wrote:It simply will not be done as a holding company .So if someone wants to do a Big Blue holding company go for it.This hobby and this forum are certainly big enough for both ways.
Agreed, I don't think anybody said it should be one or the other
Justin Miller