One industry Railroad
What industry would you pick to be the only industry on your layout that would handle 4-6 carloads per day? I'm looking more along the lines of an ISL (yes I said it), but it can be for a shortline.

What commodities would be handled and how many carloads of each commodity are used. What would be the frequency of these commodities.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Here is a good one: http://oscalewcor.blogspot.com/2011/01/i...ement.html

Jack is building a layout based upon this industry, and it looks pretty good so far
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
He has one main industry, but he's running several industries.

I like his blog though. It's his blog the inspired me to not include runarounds in my ISL track plans.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

The Kendallville Terminal only serves one industry, it also has an trans-load track, but I don't think it is used much.
Justin Miller
I've mentioned that short line. It's basically a one industry short line with an occasional road salt delivery. I put its carloadings on another forum. I guess that I should put them in.

Previously posted:

I love the Kendallville Terminal Railroad because it is a one industry railroad operation. It serves a marshmallow factory for Kraft Foods on 1.1 miles of track and takes no more than a dozen cars per day. What would be your ideas for a one industry layout that takes less than a dozen cars per day.

I figured that for a marshmallow plant, the following traffic pattern would occur every day:

Inbound 3-4 corn syrup tank cars, 1-2 covered hoppers of granulated sugar, 1-2 boxcars of packaging, and even hoppers to bring in coal to supply heat for the marshmallow manufacturing (and maybe to toast them later).

Outbound - 1-2 boxcars of marshmallows
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:Inbound 3-4 corn syrup tank cars, 1-2 covered hoppers of granulated sugar, 1-2 boxcars of packaging, and even hoppers to bring in coal to supply heat for the marshmallow manufacturing (and maybe to toast them later).

Outbound - 1-2 boxcars of marshmallows

From the pictures I have seen, they only get corn syrup tank cars and covered hoppers, I don't think boxcars ever get spotted there, but I may be wrong.
Justin Miller
I'm talking about a theoretical marshmallow company, the Squarepuff Marshmallow Corporation. I should have mentioned that earlier.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:I'm talking about a theoretical marshmallow company, the Squarepuff Marshmallow Corporation. I should have mentioned that earlier.

Oh, sorry 35

A couple more industries that could use their own railroad: Automobile manufacturer, Steel Mill
Justin Miller
True dat, but I'm looking for an industry that uses 6 cars or less per day. Preferably with a mix of freight cars. The type of industry that would help to pay a shortline's bills.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

You could do a slaughterhouse / meat packing plant. It would require stock cars, gons or boxes for the hides, tanks / covered hoppers for the tallow, reefers for the processed meat, and more box cars for ground bone meal and other odds and ends. Model Railroader did a series on them last year, I think. It would definitely be a different type of ISL! The tallow cars and hide cars would not be switched every day, but the stock cars and reefers would be. I am planning on a small slaughterhouse / meat packing plant on my layout -- 3-4 stock cars in, a couple of reefers out. It would be a visually interesting scene with the different types of buildings, tanks, loading docks etc...

Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
A furniture factory would ship out in boxcars. Receive cloth in boxcars, lumber on flatcars, adhesives and/or stains in tankcars.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Well from my personal railroad experience and having worked such industries, I'd vote for a bourbon whiskey distillery for a single industry that could support a short line. Simply scale down one of the facilities that I'm familiar with and traffic would consist of:
Inbound:
Hoppers of coal for the power house
Covered hopper(s) of corn, rye and malt
Box car of new charred oak barrels
(Optional) tank cars of grain alcohol

Outbound:
Covered hopper or box car of distillers dried grain (feed)
Box car of used barrels
Box cars of case whiskey

Most of the distilleries around here varied in size from ones that received one or two cars a day to monsters that handled 15 or 20 cars per day when the distillery was in production (twice a year)
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Steve Sandifer of the Santa Fe Railway Historical and Modeling Society has some nice clinics on modeling railroad operations in connection with some industries at the atsfrr.net web site. Steve's home page on the web site: http://atsfrr.net/resources/Sandifer/Index.htm

In particular, these three operations clincs make good reading:

Stock car operations: http://atsfrr.net/resources/Sandifer/Cli.../Index.htm
Reefer operations: http://atsfrr.net/resources/Sandifer/Cli.../Index.htm
Packing house operations: http://atsfrr.net/resources/Sandifer/Cli.../Index.htm

May not be typical of your era or desired theme, but shows some of the complexity you could build into serving one industry.

Smile,
Stein