Cool thread showing scratch/bash techniques
Hi guys --

Just happened upon this thread in the Layout Design and Construction subforum of the modelrailroaderforums.com forums, and figured that some of you other guys might also enjoy this thread - English modeler Stephen Carr showing some techniques he has used to build various things on his model railroad layout:

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum...hp?t=24023

Inspirational - reminds me of some of the building threds the late BiL Marshland (P5se Camelback) used to post on this web site.

Smile
Stein
Both cool and depressing! Post WWII Kingman (now Davis Montham, i think), AFB.

One interesting thing that the thread brought to mind after seeing the models of "scrapped" B24 Liberators...

B24 Liberators were the most numerously produced American Aircraft (and perhaps in world wide?) of WWII. Now, there are only a handful around, with two flying that I know of (Diamond Lil and Witchcraft/All American). Meanwhile, B17s managed to snag all the glory, being one of the more iconic aircraft of WWII.

When you think about it, B24s made up a large percentage of planes in Europe, and until the B29 showed up, B24s pretty much were the only strategic bombers in the pacific, as B17s weren't well suited for the pacific war (there was only ever a small handful of B17s in the pacific theater and then only in the early stages of the war).

Though they are just models (and better yet, resin copies so that original models aren't being destroyed), Its still makes you feel bad, since they are machines meant to fly and their numbers have come up. Still, its awesome to see someone include aircraft on a model railroad layout. I had started out modeling airplanes before i came to trains, and for a while, I've tried to find HO aircraft, but there hasn't been much in the way that has grabbed my attention.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Both cool and depressing! Post WWII Kingman (now Davis Montham, i think), AFB.

One interesting thing that the thread brought to mind after seeing the models of "scrapped" B24 Liberators...

B24 Liberators were the most numerously produced American Aircraft (and perhaps in world wide?) of WWII. Now, there are only a handful around, with two flying that I know of (Diamond Lil and Witchcraft/All American).

Well, you can think of it as not preserving enough history, or you can think of it as beating swords into ploughshares when they are no longer needed as swords. The first is a depressing though, the second a cheering thought - that the war was over, and resources was being reclaimed for civilian use.

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I had started out modeling airplanes before i came to trains, and for a while, I've tried to find HO aircraft, but there hasn't been much in the way that has grabbed my attention.

I think the key decision he made was doing this in N scale - 1:160 scale trains behind 1:144 scale planes in the foreground. Even fairly large planes are at a manageable size in 1:144 scale. In H0 scale, planes quickly get too big for a small or medium sized layout.

Smile,
Stein
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I had started out modeling airplanes before i came to trains, and for a while, I've tried to find HO aircraft, but there hasn't been much in the way that has grabbed my attention.

Walthers had ( maybe still has ) a 1/87 DC-3 which is the "civilian" version of the C-47 Skytrain. While not a bomber, they dropped a lot of "ordinance" ( carried by the troops who parachuted out of them ).
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Yeah, i remember that. I think they had an ME109 and a P51D Mustang in with that group as well. The P51 would make a nice Warbird display on a modern layout, that is for sure!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]