Question
I have 2 questions for you all
1 in the late 50s were there and railroad crossing cantilevers? If so what may they have looked like.
2 freight cars of the 50s would they suffer the same type of weathering as our modern cars do?
Thanks for looking and answering.
Harry Check out my blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/">http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
Harry
I think that question about the crossing would have to be narrowed a bit. I was a young lad in east Ohio/ western Pa. and I don't recall any. Most of the crossing protection I remember around here were crossbucks and manned crossings on the busy roads.
As for car weathering I don't remember because all we watched were the locomotives, but my guess would be during poor economy the cars only got what was needed to keep them running safe. Also during poor times a lot of cars get stored so the bad ones would probably make the storage line. (depends on what year in the 50's)
What ever you do there aren't many of us left that can say you are wrong. Misngth
Charlie
Well, both of those questions are region specific. Some railroads might like to use the cantilever style, some might not. You'll have to do the research.

As for weathering, if there were still steam engines around, I imagine things would be "sootier" compared with more recent weathering. Again, its not so much the time period as it is the prototype. Find some pictures of what it is that you want to model and work from that.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
If the cars had still wooden sides the chipped off paint would go with the planks. That is a pattern you will no see on steel sides.
Reinhard
railroader9731 Wrote:I have 2 questions for you all
1 in the late 50s were there and railroad crossing cantilevers? If so what may they have looked like.

A common form of crossing signal was the "wig wag". Do a google image search for many examples. The 1950s was also the end of the crossing tower and associated guard. Many crossings would still have a had a railroad employee out stopping traffic.

Quote:2 freight cars of the 50s would they suffer the same type of weathering as our modern cars do?
Thanks for looking and answering.

There are a few notes above, and also remember that the roofs of cars would be blackened by coal smoke and cinders, or oil smoke. Also, the track would be weathered differently. In many pictures I have seen, track that is frequented by steam locos have oil and other weathering along the outside of each rail. Tracks used by diesels have a single line dribbled down the middle. This is a function of the lubricated parts of a steam loco being "outside" and constantly throwing off oil, as well as friction bearing trucks that were frequently oiled. Contrast with traction motors that hang between the tracks, and roller-bearing trucks that didn't have to be soaked in oil to work.

Andrew
MasonJar Wrote:There are a few notes above, and also remember that the roofs of cars would be blackened by coal smoke and cinders, or oil smoke. Also, the track would be weathered differently. In many pictures I have seen, track that is frequented by steam locos have oil and other weathering along the outside of each rail. Tracks used by diesels have a single line dribbled down the middle. This is a function of the lubricated parts of a steam loco being "outside" and constantly throwing off oil, as well as friction bearing trucks that were frequently oiled. Contrast with traciotn motors that hang between the tracks, and roller-bearing trucks that didn't have to be soaked in oil to work. Andrew

50's cars would also have ( as well as friction bearing trucks that were frequently oiled ) dark wheel faces, as all the oil from the friction bearings would be spread across the wheels by centrifugal force, and mix with dust and dirt to make an "oily, thick, mud-like, coating". Modern wheels, would be more rusty looking.

I do remember the crossing guards, and their little shacks at each grade crossing.
I also remember the early automatic gates getting stuck down, because the shock and vibration of a passing steam locomotive would mess up the detection devices that operated them. ( at least on the LIRR )
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thanks guys and sorry about the shotty question as i reread them today. Short story minor operation and drugs Thumbsup Any how im doing 1954-1960 and its more less a freelance staring the EN&W and a mix of the NYO&W taking place near the the ny and pa area. So as for crossings i guess its my call and if i do what type from walthers would be best? Oh as for locos will be the golden age hehehe steam and diesel. As for the few old steamers left i envy what you witnesed and love the info you share..
Harry Check out my blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/">http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->