Passenger locomotives
Hello Everyone---many railroads reserved certain motive power for passenger trains.Here's a couple of Canadian National steam locomotives that were used exclusively in passenger service.Do you have any passenger locomotives on your roster ?

[Image: P1090224.jpg]

[Image: P1090225.jpg]

[Image: P1090208.jpg]
My first steamer (which I still have) was bought on a whim when I did not know much about the hobby. CNR 5125 (in the Mehano form) does not really resemble CNR 5125 - Class J-4-e. The most noticable difference is that the real 5125 had the all-weather or enclosed "Canadian" cab, while the model has the open cab. There are many other differences, but the list is too long...!

However, it is a Pacific (4-6-2) which when originally constructed circa 1920 was a crack passenger engine with 69" drivers for speed. By the 1950s, she and her sister Pacifics were relegated to the branchlines for way freight or mixed duty until they were unceremoniously scrapped in the late 1950s.

No current picture... Sad

EDIT - Here's 5125 offered by IHC/Mehano as a 2-8-2 (with glowing praise) on ebay... 35

Ian Wilson's Steam over Palmerston has pictures of nearly identical sister 5126 operating in Guelph, ON.

Andrew
Hello again---the Canadian National's U-2 Northerns were built for dual service and were capable of hauling both freight and passenger trains with ease.U-2-E 6167 has obviously been given some TLC by the boys in the Leetown shops and is seen prior to heading an excursion special to the annual fall fair at Lowbanks on the EG&E

[Image: P1090125.jpg]

[Image: P10901313.jpg]

[Image: P1090113-1.jpg]

[Image: P1090131.jpg]
She's a beauty! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Andrew
FANTASTIC...!!!

Worship Worship Worship
Gus (LC&P).
Thanks Andrew and Gus.This particular locomotive is very special to me.When my Mom died last year,I wanted to do something that would keep her memory alive,it was actually my wife's idea to purchase this locomotive ---every time I look at this locomotive,I think of her
Here's a few more shots of 6167 on Doctor Wayne's EG&E heading towards Lowbanks

[Image: P1060383.jpg]

[Image: P1060422.jpg]

[Image: P1060432.jpg]
cn nutbar Wrote:Hello Everyone---many railroads reserved certain motive power for passenger trains.Here's a couple of Canadian National steam locomotives that were used exclusively in passenger service.Do you have any passenger locomotives on your roster ?

Is this an invitation to display?

By the nature of the prototype i like to model, most of my equipment is passenger (in fact, it seems like i have to go really out of my way and over budget to bring in electric freight).

Well, I'll at least stick with the steam before i electrocute the thread, so to speak.

UP #3976 was one of a group of Challenger steamers rebuilt as oil burners in 1945 and put into passenger service in UP's "Northwest" District from 1946 to 1950, when E-unit diesels replaced them. The Challengers themselves replaced Moutain and other smaller steamer types on passenger trains that had required double heading. The big articulateds had no problem with the Northwestern grades.

#3976 was the first Challenger to get the two toned paint scheme and smoke shifters, being completed in mid december 1946, and being the first challenger to haul a passenger train, the "Portland Rose". The paint scheme was initially an experiment. The shops main UP shops in Omaha Nebraska called the shops in Portland and told them to paint the 3976 in the two tone gray, and then send the picture back to them. When Omaha got the picture, they liked it and ordered the other passenger challengers be painted in that scheme as well.

The model is a Lionel HO product, almost entirely Diecast. It is SO heavy, that sometimes it can't haul itself up the grades on our club layout. Its kind of ironic, really! It didn't come with traction tires, and so I'll have to put bullfrog snot on it.

[Image: morerostershots12141001.jpg]

cn nutbar Wrote:Hello Everyone---many railroads reserved certain motive power for passenger trains.Here's a couple of Canadian National steam locomotives that were used exclusively in passenger service.Do you have any passenger locomotives on your roster ?
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
[quote="Green_Elite_Cab

Is this an invitation to display?

GEC---Absolutely---thanks for posting your Challenger Thumbsup Hopefully this will start the ball rolling :hey:
Now i need to make sure i don't fill the thread with GG1s, lol.

That said, in a way, i'm not surprised that not many people have posted passenger locomotives. I suppose watching these threads, passenger trains rarely show up. everyone seems to be modeling industrial parks these days, or at the very least, the lines they model don't seem to feature passenger service. I wonder if it is passenger trains are to big, to expensive, or perhaps passenger operations aren't exciting?

In any case, at least i can and some to the list-

More of a roster shot, but here is the ubiquitous passenger diesel. This was a Spectrum F40PH-2 that I modified to resemble the locomotives as they appeared in 1983 when delivered. I still have to do some detailing, but its not a bad start. Modifications involved removing and filling in the dynamic brake grids vents and fan, adding a new K5LA horn, covering over the Amtrak only "emergency light", painting the corner markers transparent red, and Kato F40PH strobes.

[Image: morerostershots12141003.jpg]

While on NJ Transit, an ALP44 Electric.

[Image: 412to182010njtransitmodd.jpg]

The locomotive that tried to beat the GG1, and lost. E60CH # 958 is one of two surviving E60s, and the only one not modified.

[Image: 412to182010njtransitmod.jpg]

NJ transit electric line up- GG1 4876 (Yes, the one that crashed into Union station survived to the end), E60CH 958, ALP44 4405, and ALP46 4628. The ALP46 is still under construction.

Most recent progress shot of my ALP46 commuter electric. I'm using a Roco DC drive that is very similar to the prototype frame. I'm not happy with this one, and i have another shell and decal set to work with on building a second.

[Image: 72510alp46002.jpg]

U34CH, another locomotive with an identity crisis. Built for commuter service, but built like a freight engine.

[Image: 11508003qb1.jpg]

I've gone back and started to more deeply detail my GP40FH-2. I have a cab interior for it, and and i'm still trying to find some smokey valley handrails to put up front. The prototype was a rebuild by Morrison & Knudsen using old GP40s from all over the country, and then putting BN F45 cowls over them. I'm not sure why, but it was never repeated. the locomotives were known as "pigs" because of their shape. #4141 is one of the last in operation. Others are in Canada or retired.

[Image: gp40fh21011110.jpg]

Here is something new and different, a PL42AC. These first arrived in 2007 to replace the older GP40FH-2s and F40PH-2s like the ones above.

[Image: 72709pl42acpainted004.jpg]

GP40 #4300 isn't technically a dedicated passenger locomotive, but it sure does on occaision rescue downed trains.

I'll probably put up some Amtrak later, lol
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:... I wonder if it is passenger trains are to big, ..... or perhaps passenger operations aren't exciting?...

A lot of us have not the space to run passenger trains at all or could do a very boring operation only. If the freight train has more than 25 cars and there is a yard where that train could be build you have a good chance to find a passenger train too. Poor man passenger trains are RDC and Doodlebug if they match the other aspects of the layout (Warning! RDC and especially Doodlebug demand awful curve radius)
Reinhard
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:NJ transit electric line up- GG1 4876 (Yes, the one that crashed into Union station survived to the end), E60CH 958, ALP44 4405, and ALP46 4628. The ALP46 is still under construction.
I think a lot of the later surviving locos had been in wrecks. The major rebuilding may have contributed to survival. (Now back to topic)
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Great idea for a thread! Unfortunately, I only have one true "passenger" locomotive - a Mantua 4-4-2 in Santa Fe lettering. I'll try to remember a photo.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
I own three passenger engines - unfortunately I do not own trains for all engines.

[Image: 15_southern-f1_k.jpg]

This Southern F-1 is a PFM model is my most loved passenger model. It has got a fine custom made painting done by a friend and it runs very, very fine with a new motor and a few gear improvements.

[Image: 13_frisco-american_k.jpg]

My FRISCO 182-187 class American was imported by Halmark and it has got a new motor and an extensive superdetailing, so I think that this will be my finest passenegr engine model. It need a coloring and digitalizing as all my other locos also.

[Image: 05_sp-atlantic-daylight_k.jpg]

The SP A-6 in daylight color is a nice model from Westside - however here I own an older ConCor Daylight train that now is a relict after producing the fine models of MTH. Should I buy a few of these cars? My problem is that I do not own a layout and the cars would be stored in boxes the most time of their life.

What I would like to get is a V&T 4-6-0 loco for my passenger cars of the future V&T train. And there I have seen a model of V&T #26 selling for a extremely expansive price on Ebay however that was the model what I would like to get.
I hope for winning in a lottery!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Here's an Athearn F59PHI running on my layout:
[albumimg]4067[/albumimg]
I'm working on incorporating passenger operation.