Liberty Industrial Spur
FCIN Wrote:If you're determined to use 40ft box cars just because that's all your LHS has in stock, then you might as well back date your layout to the late 50's or early 60's. It could still be an independent short line that connects with the SP in your area and even leases SP power.

That might work, every time I go to the LHS I look at all of those steam-era cars and wish I could use those.

I do have about 5 or 6 50' boxcars that have build dates from 1950-70, I think those could be used to transport the paper, then the 40' boxcars could be used for scrap paper.

I think I am going to set my layout sometime in the 60's.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Justinmiller171 Wrote:That might work, every time I go to the LHS I look at all of those steam-era cars and wish I could use those, my only concern would be it's impact on operations at the container plant.
Lots to consider if you choose to model the mid 60's. You've probably got cars right now that would be totally out of place for that era so you couldn't use them unless that just isn't an issue with you. Looking at the two photos you posted on Oct 7th, I see a Conrail Centerflow covered hopper, a box car in the Family Lines scheme and a bulkhead flat that would be out of place. There may be others that I just can't see in the photos.

You could of course use 40ft box cars for shipping your scrap paper. You railroad might have purchased a few of them for just that purpose. But keep in mind, depending on the era you choose, those cars might all have had their roof walks and full height ladders removed. If your era is prior to 1966, then all your cars would have full height ladders and roof walks, so a mixture of cars with and without would not be correct. You also have to watch out for appropriate road names too along with whether or not a certain type car existed in your era. No CSX (1980), SCL (1967), CR (1976), BNSF (1996), BN (1970), PC (1968), to name a few. But you would have plenty of interesting road names and paint schemes to choose from such as NYC, PRR, CBQ, SP, SOU, LN, ACL, SAL, and many others.

I've run in to that "what road is correct for my era" problem myself where I have about 10 cars that are painted for railroads that didn't exist in 1979-80 - but they'll get new paint jobs and lettering when the mood strikes me. I also have one L&N 50ft cushion underframe box car that I really like, but it still has roof walks and full height ladders. I can modify it like the prototype did, by removing the roof walk and cutting down all the ladders except the B end ladder , but then I have to plug all the holes in the roof and some where the ladders were and try and match the paint. Not sure it's worth the trouble.

Finally, you might just have to consider an entirely different main industry for your railroad. Plenty of potential ideas floating around out there (or should I say on the-gauge.net). Just a matter of picking something that would be believable and still have a good amount of operational interest.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
I just browsed Railpics, there are still plenty of 40' boxcars around in 1969, which is what year I think I may go with.
Justin Miller
Justinmiller171 Wrote:I just browsed Railpics, there are still plenty of 40' boxcars around in 1969, which is what year I think I may go with.
1969 was good year. I started working in the railroad industry that year! There were still plenty of 40ft box cars around and the majority of cars still had full height ladders and roof walks as it took time to shop and modify them. Only the newest cars were being built without the roof walks and full height ladders.

About the only 40ft box cars we ever handled that year (and the next few years for that matter) were some car loads of lumber and the rare box car of grain for a couple of the distilleries, but you'd see quite a few in mixed freights on the main line railroads.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Justin, if you really feel that strongly about not ordering online, you can order them them through your LHS. He may even give you a break for buying from him.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
I second what Mike says. Usually, if you ask them to order it for you, they will. They KNOW you're going to buy it, so its no risk on their part, they just get your business, and you get the model.

Usually after you try to force conflicting things (like 40' boxcars into the 1970s), you get something that, though technically possible, does not always look quite right. Backdating is a viable option, but was it really what you wanted?

I also have to wonder what kind of hobby shop only stocks 40' cars. Is it just a small place? or do they exclusively deal with "back in the day" models?
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I second what Mike says. Usually, if you ask them to order it for you, they will. They KNOW you're going to buy it, so its no risk on their part, they just get your business, and you get the model.

Usually after you try to force conflicting things (like 40' boxcars into the 1970s), you get something that, though technically possible, does not always look quite right. Backdating is a viable option, but was it really what you wanted?

I also have to wonder what kind of hobby shop only stocks 40' cars. Is it just a small place? or do they exclusively deal with "back in the day" models?

Most hobby shops stock what sells. Different hobby shops that I've visited stock different items from each other.

Justin, this is what us model railroad junkies did for our fix before the internet.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike Kieran Wrote:
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I second what Mike says. Usually, if you ask them to order it for you, they will. They KNOW you're going to buy it, so its no risk on their part, they just get your business, and you get the model.

Most hobby shops stock what sells. Different hobby shops that I've visited stock different items from each other.

Justin, this is what us model railroad junkies did for our fix before the internet.

Oh, I understand that part. Still, it seems like such a specific thing, only 40' boxcars. I'd understand if it were a small hobby shop that caters to a little of everything (trains, planes, ships, games, etc.) but I've never seen what I consider a primarily model railroad store ever sell just one period of stuff. More frequently i see it limited by manufacturer than prototype.

That leads to the main reason I asked. I knew some hobby shops (like what used to be Allied Hobbies) didn't do business with Walthers, they only did business with Bachmann, Lifelike, and Atlas (and after the Walthers merger, no longer them either). It all had to do with whatever distributor the hobby shop gets its trains from.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Oh, I understand that part. Still, it seems like such a specific thing, only 40' boxcars. I'd understand if it were a small hobby shop that caters to a little of everything (trains, planes, ships, games, etc.)

Well not only 40' boxcars, they have some others but they are all transition era, On occasion they will sell a modern item, but that is rare. And they are a small hobby store, they primarily sell RC cars, but they do have a room of MRR stuff.
Justin Miller
Here is how I have the track laid out now:
[Image: LIRYFINAL.jpg?t=1319078919]

I have decided that it would be most plausible to spot the 40' cars at the lumber dealer, I will be going to a train-show in a few weeks so I can get some 50' cars there Misngth
Justin Miller
I just noticed something the other day while I was watching a train, my favorite part of railroading is the rolling stock, I noticed that while I was watching the train I was really enjoying looking at each freight car go by, my favorite thing to do is watch for fallen flag cars, on the trains I watched I saw some MP, SP, SSW, D&RGW, and a few SOU cars. I think the oldest car I have seen was a Northern Pacific hopper I saw on a UP train a few weeks ago.

After I came to this realization, I came to the conclusion that I should model the modern-day, or at least fairly recent, I think anytime after the 1980's would work, I do have alot of Great Northern cars so I don't want it to be too recent.
Justin Miller
Typically railroads don't repaint freight cars unless they get major repairs. They may not even bother to "patch" a car in the event of a merger beyond changing the reporting marks and car number if necessary. I think 40 years is how long a car is allowed to remain in revenue service before it is either retired, transferred to non-interchange service, or rebuilt. Logically then, the more years that have passed since the merger, the fewer cars in the pre-merger paint schemes will show up on a train. The closer you get to 40 years post merger, the more likely that pre-merger paint schemes will have disappeared.
Now that all track is down and I can run mini ops sessions, I have realised a few things: This layout is within my ability, but it is going to take awhile to build, it is also a permanent layout so it will have to have a short life-span. I do really like my layout but before I progress any further I thought I should run an idea by you guys, what if I built Lance Mindheim's Palmetto spur using one of my HCDs?

I have all of the track needed to build it, all I would have to do would be to take down the other HCDs and re-position the one I will use so I can have room for the cassette, I would have to build the cassette but I think it would be a fun project. This idea would be great since I will be able to keep it when I move out.

I do like my current layout and would be happy to continue building it, I just thought I would share this idea with you guys to see what you think.
Justin Miller
Justinmiller171 Wrote:....what if I built Lance Mindheim's Palmetto spur using one of my HCDs?...
No way! You may be influenced as much as you like and the result might be as close as possible but you should build your very own layout.
ps. Sorry, if my wording is to harsh Smile
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:No way! You may be influenced as much as you like and the result might be as close as possible but you should build your very own layout.
ps. Sorry, if my wording is to harsh Smile

Okay, I will admit it wouldn't be an exact copy Wink , it would look something like this:

[Image: Libertyspursmall.jpg?t=1319878082]
Justin Miller