Researching the Denver & Rio Grande Western
There are quite a few outspoken D&RGW "experts" on this discussion list:

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ngdiscussion.net">www.ngdiscussion.net</a><!-- w -->

Some of the information these people know is unbelievable. I'd try searching the archives if you know specifically what to search for. Those guys may be even able to tell you where a certain engine was during what years.

The Denver Public Library suggestion is also excellent. I've even searched by locomotive number, or by town name, and come up with many, many Otto Perry images. Durango, Ouray, Montrose, and Gunnison were all towns on the Rio Grande narrow gauge.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Sorry for my late reply, there's just so much info to take in here.

OK, so what you're basically saying is that we can pick and choose different elements of interest from various locations within the areas mentioned here, and with a little artistic licence we won't go horribly wrong with any of it?

Pete; thanks so much for suggesting that book, it sounds really interesting! I'll see if I can order a copy of it somewhere.

She's still undecided about the area she wants to model, but with so many specific locations mentioned here by you, I'm sure she'll have a blast looking for them online. Yesterday we received our order from Turner Model Works, containing a Sequoia Models turntable (Laws prototype), a double covered water tank and an ash pit. I'm not sure if any of these are totally accurate for the D&RGW, but they just look so cool!

Again, thank you so much, you guys are great! Thumbsup

Svein
Svein Wrote:She's still undecided about the area she wants to model, but with so many specific locations mentioned here by you, I'm sure she'll have a blast looking for them online. Yesterday we received our order from Turner Model Works, containing a Sequoia Models turntable (Laws prototype), a double covered water tank and an ash pit. I'm not sure if any of these are totally accurate for the D&RGW, but they just look so cool!

Again, thank you so much, you guys are great! Thumbsup

Svein

Svein, I think you are discovering that the D&RGW is different than so many of the narrow gauge railroads. Many have very little information saved. The Colorado Narrow Gauge railroads, and particularly the D&RGW have almost too much information available. It can be overwhelming trying to decide.

I certainly would not worry about the Sequoia Models pieces not being of the correct prototype. They are certainly typical of narrow gauge practice, so I doubt if anyone will notice that they are not exact models of the prototype.
There was at least one turntable on the D&RG/W narrow gauge like the one at Laws on the SP. This was at the end of the Monarch branch, but it was out of service by the 1920s. I think the era suggested by Blackstone C-19s in the older lettering would cover the transition from 2-8-0s to 2-8-2s, and you're on perfectly good ground using artistic license with credible elements.
That sounds good. I'm really greatful for all your help guys! We're looking at several different options on ghostdepot.com right now, but we're probably going to order their DVD as the website has limited info on many stations. I've also looked up the book Pete recommended, and sent an e-mail with an inquiry to Doug's Trains, Toys & Hobbies. This was the only place I could find the book, so I hope they still have it in stock.

Svein
So, I guess I'll ask the dumb question of the day.......If your girl friend is going to build a narrow gauge layout --- when is she going to join Big Blue ??, and post progress pictures ! Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Hello, here I am. I have been waiting for that question. Big Grin
Vigdis ---

Velkommen til Big Blue :-)

Smil,
Stein
Hmmm, I must have been asleep for four months ! Eek
Big Grin At least I'm well rested.
Welcome Welcome Welcome
I hope you find your time here, well spent, among friends who can appreciate the quality of your work.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Vigdis Wrote:Hello, here I am. I have been waiting for that question. Big Grin
Welcome aboard! Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
jwb Wrote:The D&RGW as a narrow gauge in Utah was only in the 1880s, I believe. It was standard gauged by the early 1890s. This was the D&RGW Railway. It was reorganized as the Rio Grande Western and then merged with the Denver & Rio Grande to form the later D&RGW in 1920. The D&RGW Railroad narrow gauge lines by the 1920s were roughly in a circle in south-central Colorado and northern New Mexico, none in Utah.

Look up The Narrow Gauge Circle on the net, and you will find photos arranged according to the various routes that could be taken, from engines and rolling stock to depots. Beare in mind that you won't find much difference in the depots since they were constructed mostly to the same set of standard plans.

This will get you started.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.narrowgauge.org/">http://www.narrowgauge.org/</a><!-- m -->