Athearn U50
New Athearn U50 on test run, showing tight clearance at Tunnel 4-1/2    

Passing a welding crew working on the crossing at Crucero:    

The only complaint I have about either the turbine or the U50 is that their speed curves don't seem to match anything else. If I were on DCC, I could maybe fiddle with that (though from what I understand, it isn't a slam dunk), but I'm not. Even so, I ran the turbine by itself on a 15 car reefer block on a layout tour earlier this year, no problems over 2 days. I'll probably get a second U50 to run satisfyingly long trains.
I love this locomotive! Its one of those impulses I have to try really hard to contain, lol! 35

I just keep telling myself I need more GG1s first...

More pics please!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
After some testing, I did find that the U50's speed curve is actually the same as any Athearn RTR (and Genesis Fs at least) loco, so I have a number of credible ones that can run MU with the U50. However, when my budget kicks over in less than a week, I think another one is going to join the roster!

I'll have some time in the next few days, let me see what kind of photos I can take.
OK, I've had the body off, replaced the couplers with Kadee 158s, lubed it, and started some weathering.

I started weathering by putting a light spray of thinned Floquil Rail Brown on the trucks:

However, there's more weathering to do, as in-service photos show diesel slopped on the fuel tank and lube oil coming out of the hood doors, exhaust soot, etc etc.

Then I got to thinking about my ancient Alco Models U50C:

I got this second hand maybe 30 years ago, with a so-so paint job. I tried stripping it, but as some people know, Floquil paint that's been on any length of time is almost impossible to remove. At least the stripper got rid of the bad decals. The yellow and gray paint was intact, so I re-decaled it with Micro Scale. I also remotored and regeared it with an NWSL regear kit. It's fairly quiet and smooth, though it's been in the display case for many years and will need some tuning if I want to run it. I also never got around to adding window glass or number boards:

I also got to thinking about other locos to run with the U50 and the turbine, since the UP at that time was in its Unlimited Power -- UnPredictable phase. I have a number of pre-Walthers P2K UP units, which are pretty awful as runners, so I will need to decide whether to repower them with A Line kits (now pretty expensive, and speed curve doesn't match U50 or turbine), or turn them into dummies.
Oh, that U50C.

I read that it used aluminum wiring as opposed to copper wiring for whatever reason. They were apparently prone to electrical problems and didn't last anywhere near as long as the original U50. Still interesting though.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
I got a second U50 -- photos show that two did sometimes operate together, though they more commonly seem to have run with DD35Bs. (Shame Athearn isn't doing those, but I'll almost certainly be getting Centennials when they come out.)

If a single turbine or U50 can handle 12-15 cars on my layout, two should manage 25, which is about as long a train as I'd want to run for layout tours/open houses.

Athearn includes a second set of side ladders/steps for the rear of the loco, along with an optional bell. The reason seems to be to allow the loco to get around sharper curves. The second ladder seems to work OK on 24 inch curves. The bell is OK on 30, at least, haven't checked it out on 24 yet. The photo shows the second ladder installed on 45, not yet on 53.