Trucklovers Weathered Rolling Stock
Hi Guys

Ill post all the weathered rolling stock i do from here on out in this thread. At the Great Train Expo show this weekend i got a set of Weathering Powders that contains Light Rust, Medium Rust, Dark Rust and Soot. Its made by Bragdon Enterprises and i picked up the set of 4 for $18.00 at the show. Works just as it says too Misngth

Since we dont have a weathering forum yet, i posted this in the HO forum for now until we get a weathering forum which then i will need one of the mods to move it over there, i just couldnt wait anymore lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
We will start off with the first car i did with tne new powders, a Roundhouse CNW 50' PS Ribbed Side Boxcar.

I used a mixture of all four colors from the set to get this end result of the car, applying one color at a time and then going back with the light rust in the areas that got to dark. This is the first car i did with the new powders and i think it came out pretty nice, i didnt even practice before i did this one lol

Before applying the powders, the entire car was coated with a light mist of cheap grey primer to help the powders grip better and stick better. It says no dull/flat finish is required, but i will be spraying the cars with Floquil Flat Finish when i get my airbrush like Wayne does lol. The roof of the car did not come out as well as i would have liked it, i think i need to spray some more gray primer mist on there to help the powders stick a little better, so thats what ill be doing next.

[Image: SL372204.jpg]

[Image: SL372205.jpg]

[Image: SL372207.jpg]

[Image: SL372208.jpg]

[Image: SL372209.jpg]

[Image: SL372210.jpg]

[Image: SL372211.jpg]

[Image: SL372212.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Great job Josh will the powders come off easily if rubbed?
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
wgrider Wrote:Great job Josh will the powders come off easily if rubbed?

Hi Lynn, thanks!! Misngth

The powders do come off a little with normal handling, that's why i will need to spray them all when i get an airbrush with Floquil Flat Finish to seal them on so they wont rub off lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Next up was an Eastern Car Works CNW 65' Mill Gondola w/Custom made Barrier Load.

This car came as a kit so i assembled it and then weathered it. I started off with a light coat of cheap gray primer mist. Then proceeded to add a mixture of all 4 powder colors again. This time i also did a little underside weathering as some of it is visible when sitting on the tracks. The CNW boxcar i did not weather the underside because you cant see it when its sitting or rolling down the tracks lol.

The load for the gondola is made from a pack of Rix Products Highway Dividers and some match sticks used for the stickers in between the 2 rows of barriers. Ive also added some scrap stickers from previous loads, along with some "dirt/coat/gravel" from other previous loads the gondola may have carried in the past and from normal everyday life on the rails. Thats a little tip i picked up from the great Doctor Wayne Misngth

So, here is the car all weathered up. The next time i post, i will post some before and after shots, that should be interesting to see compared Misngth

[Image: SL372215.jpg]

[Image: SL372217.jpg]

[Image: SL372218.jpg]

[Image: SL372219.jpg]

[Image: SL372220.jpg]

[Image: SL372221.jpg]

[Image: SL372222.jpg]

[Image: SL372225.jpg]

[Image: SL372226.jpg]

[Image: SL372231.jpg]

[Image: SL372232.jpg]

[Image: SL372233.jpg]

[Image: SL372234.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Just finished this one off. Its a Roundhouse Klemme Coop Grain 54' Covered Hopper. It was a bright pink before i started. Again, a light coat of gray primer was added. I ran out of KADEE #5 couplers so i need to order more lol, so this one got weathered without the couplers for now. I used all 4 powder colors again, they combine so nicely and give nice looking rust and "soot" colors. The ends of this car dont look the greatest, its hard to get into them with the brush, so i need to get a smaller brush and go back and touch up a few areas on the ends when i get a smaller brush.

I forgot to take a before picture of the car just out of the box, but i did member to take a picture of the car after i sprayed it with a mist of gray primer. Ill have to member to take a before before picture next time lol

Before with cheap gray primer misted on:

[Image: SL372235.jpg]

[Image: SL372236.jpg]

And after with the entire car weathered, including the underside and roof:

[Image: SL372239.jpg]

[Image: SL372240.jpg]

[Image: SL372241.jpg]

[Image: SL372242.jpg]

[Image: SL372243.jpg]

[Image: SL372244.jpg]

[Image: SL372245.jpg]

[Image: SL372247.jpg]

[Image: SL372248.jpg]

[Image: SL372249.jpg]

[Image: SL372250.jpg]

[Image: SL372251.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Wow!
Those are some stunning models, Josh! Thumbsup
-Drew-
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
Josh,
Great work, as usual!!
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
Nice job!
They look great.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Somemore nice work.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Drew, Carl, Ed, and Lynn, thank you very much for the kind words Goldth

Im averaging about an hour per car lol, of coarse this is with chatting on forums and txting my girlfriend lol. All together i have done 3 cars fully weathered today. The next one will be posted in a min. Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
This is th latest one to roll off the workbench with a new weathered look. A Athearn RTR 50' Toledo, Peoria, & Western FMC Boxcar.

This one, like the ones before, got a light coat of gray primer mist before the powders were applied. i also like the others used a combination of all 4 powder colors for this one. Since the car was already orange, the rust doesnt how up all that well on the car, so this car is mostly just dirty with dirt and soot. The trucks were weathered, as well as the couplers, ends, and underside. Also the roof was done with all four colors of powders to give a rusty and dirty look

Here is the car before i did anything to it, straight out of the box:

[Image: SL372252.jpg]

[Image: SL372253.jpg]

And here it is with a light mist of gray primer:

[Image: SL372254.jpg]

And here is the finished car with the powders applied:

[Image: SL372256.jpg]

[Image: SL372257.jpg]

[Image: SL372258.jpg]

[Image: SL372259.jpg]

[Image: SL372260.jpg]

[Image: SL372261.jpg]

[Image: SL372262.jpg]

[Image: SL372263.jpg]

[Image: SL372264.jpg]

[Image: SL372265.jpg]

[Image: SL372266.jpg]

[Image: SL372267.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Very good looking cars, Josh. I especially like the gon Thumbsup .
Kurt
Nice looking cars! The weathering looks great. Thumbsup Thumbsup
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Great job Josh-just enough to be believable but not over done. This technique would work well on your vehicles as well.Keep up the fine work. Bob 2285_