Micro Layout Ops
I found this thread from a link that Shortliner provided on the RMweb forums:
http://forum.mtimag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=7965#7965

I found that post very interesting to read, it's hard to imagine that exchanging one car for another on the prototype would take 20 minutes, I guess that with selective compression it would take about 10-15 minutes to do that on a model.

Any followers of Lance Mindheim's blog will know that he is a very big fan of "timekilling" on model railroads. I have to agree with him, It's nice sometimes to let the engine cruise alot at a slow pace listening to the rumble of the engine and the thumps of the wheels going over track-joiners.

If it takes 20 min to do a simple switching task on the prototype, imagine how long it would take to operate a switching layout with "timekilling" applied.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Justinmiller171 Wrote:If it takes 20 min to do a simple switching task on the prototype, imagine how long it would take to operate a switching layout with "timekilling" applied.
I find that too much "time killing" can really get boring. Guess it reminds me too much of actually doing the job on the prototype. When I worked on the F&C, we always felt good if we could get Schenley switched in 4 hours and Old Grandad in 3 hours!

Usually just operating at scale speeds (maximum of 10mph on the "main" and coupling speed of less than 4mph), then waiting a couple of seconds between moves is more than enough for me. It's typical for it to take 10 minutes or more to pull and place a car or two from just one of my industries; longer if the cars must be placed in between cars that must be re-spotted. Spending an hour or slightly more switching the layout and I'm ready for a break.

Keep in mind that time does not scale. It takes your Z, N, HO, S, O scale locomotive just as long to cover a given distance as it would the prototype at the same speed. Same goes for your scale sized brakeman. It would take him the same amount of time to walk a given distance as it would you. Add the amount of time for him to set/release handbrakes, walk from one switch to another or several car lengths to make a cut and it adds up pretty quick. If you throw in things like having to unlock and open gates, take off derails, pull wheel chocks, make sure that there is nothing in the way (especially personnel), etc., you can see where it can easily take 20 minutes to spot a couple of cars for a customer.

No need to try and fool yourself with a fast clock on a prototypically operated switching layout.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
I agree Ed.Time does not scale.

I seen NS locals take 30 minutes to switch Swan Rubber(now closed) here in Bucyrus.

I recall taking at least 30 minutes to switch a industry-even a simple 1 car setout could take 15 minutes..

I prefer to do a slow 10 count between moves.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:I seen NS locals take 30 minutes to switch Swan Rubber(now closed) here in Bucyrus.
Funny you should mention that Larry. Saturday afternoon I watched an NS train set off 20 empty auto racks in to a clear track in the yard at Georgetown, KY. Total time from arrival to departure: 70 minutes - and they had a street crossing blocked about half of that time! I sure felt sorry for the conductor who was having to do everything with no assistance!
Brakie Wrote:I prefer to do a slow 10 count between moves.
That's a pretty good formula there. I've also found that the time it takes me to pick up the coffee cup or Coke can - take a drink - and set it back down, works really well too!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Brakie Wrote:I agree Ed.Time does not scale.

Cheers

But you can use "selective compression" on the job at hand. Waiting a prototypical length of time for a full airbrake check on a 12 car train, or for a brakeman to walk the length of said train to throw a turnout mght be reduced to your 10-count as well.

Andrew
Justin - glad you found the link useful
Btw - I noticed on Lance Mindheim's blog (http://www.lancemindheim.com/blog.htm) that he just has finished a new book - "How to operate a modern era switching layout", which he apparently expects to have ready for sale before Christmas. MIght be some hints and tips there too.

Smile,
Stein
Stein,If that book is like other books it will be a winner.

I don't usually buy such books but,I like the subject-ISLs and I will look at his newest book and make a decision then since I not up to speed with modern railroad operation with all the hand tying rules.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

I have also noticed that it took 20 minutes on the full-scale prototype, but layouts are usually compressed, so I figure it would take about 10-15 minutes to switch a model.

I personally enjoy time-killing, It gives me time to listen to the rumble from the sound decoder and observe the rolling-stock.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Justin - see if you can find an article called "Shift-Time" in an old MR = well worth a read for those wanting to "operate" I have it if you are stuck.
I tend to disagree with the "don't need a fast clock" idea. Yes the scale guy has to walk at the same speed as a real one but you need the clock to give the impression you are doing a day's work. Even on larger layouts you can do a "complete day" in 4 hours or less. We all know no real railroad regularly works 4 hour days. On my shortline layout running it by myself (which takes the longest amount of time) only about 1 and a half hours of real time would go by (mainly due to the shorter then realistic distances between points A, B, C ect.) so I use a setting of 6-1 which gives me a 9 hour day. If ops change resulting in the actual time being more or less then I will adjust the fast clock accordingly.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Mike,I use a 15-1 time ratio..I don't have a fast clock..I use my wristwatch-15 real minutes equals 1 hour scale time.

It may take 1 "hour" to switch 2 industries.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

I'm late to this "party," but I would think that how much "time killing" you do is dependent on how big your layout is. Since the title here is "Micro Layout Ops" we are talking about operations on a micro layout. If you don't do some prototypical type "time killing" on a micro layout, you have finished the operations completely in 10 minutes, now what do you do? If you are operating on Gary S layout in Texas, you probably don't need as much time killing because that layout is huge, especially for an ISL. For those of us with space restrictions limiting how much railroad we can model, time killing can provide more "bang for the buck" when we operate.
Brakie Wrote:Mike,I use a 15-1 time ratio..I don't have a fast clock..I use my wristwatch-15 real minutes equals 1 hour scale time.

That would actually be 4:1, a pretty common fast-clock ratio. (15 minute is 1/4 hour. So your clock ratio is 4 times "faster"** than standard time.)

**Time isn't actually faster, you're just measuring it differently.
cv_acr Wrote:
Brakie Wrote:Mike,I use a 15-1 time ratio..I don't have a fast clock..I use my wristwatch-15 real minutes equals 1 hour scale time.

That would actually be 4:1, a pretty common fast-clock ratio. (15 minute is 1/4 hour. So your clock ratio is 4 times "faster"** than standard time.)

**Time isn't actually faster, you're just measuring it differently.

No..For me its 15 minutes equal 1 hour since I not into the nitty gritty mathematics. 357
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry