doctorwayne's New Years Resolution Challenge...
Wayne,
excellent detailed work and more hints again! And first time I have seen results using Archer rivet strips; very good looking details.
I think that I should order also a sheet of this material for my next models.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Thanks for continuing to follow this long (and slow) thread, guys. Wink

Bernhard, the ARCHER rivets are available in a number of sizes, along with other three-dimensional details such as weld beads and tread plate, along with a lot of stuff for those modelling military subjects. A small sheet is fairly expensive, at about $18.00, but they're an innovative and useful product.

Wayne
Thanks, Doc!
I have visited their website and I found a dealer also in Germany. Simplest way to get these fine details.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Wayne, fantastic job (as usual) Thumbsup . Thank you for showing the use of these rivets. I have just ordered a sheet.

Steamtrains Wrote:It is undeniable....You and Kurt are certifiably insane... 357

Gus, remember your 2-8-2? You are definitely a member of this club Goldth .
Kurt
cnw1961 Wrote:Wayne, fantastic job (as usual) Thumbsup . Thank you for showing the use of these rivets. I have just ordered a sheet.

Steamtrains Wrote:It is undeniable....You and Kurt are certifiably insane... 357

Gus, remember your 2-8-2? You are definitely a member of this club Goldth .

You're too kind....I'm just a raunch beginner where this is concerned...
I merely "upgraded" an existing unit. You guys make fantastic models out of nothing... Eek
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:I merely "upgraded" an existing unit. You guys make fantastic models out of nothing... Eek

Hey, I'm working with existing models, too, and it's still not certain if it'll be an upgrade or not. Misngth Misngth Now Kurt, yeah, he's making something from nothing, and it was lookin' good right from the start. One thing for sure, though: we're all insane, and that includes everyone on this site: a big bowl of mixed nuts. Icon_lol Misngth Misngth

Wayne
Cheers Cheers

That's why we "play" with trains..... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
While progress on these boxcars has been slow, I continue to plug away at them. Painting is complete, as is most of the lettering. Here's a builder's photo of a car just out of the shops. She's yet to be weighed, so that data has not been stencilled in place:

[Image: CopyofNewYearsChallengePhotos300.jpg]

Next step will be weathering, then re-weigh and re-pack data added, and then a little final weathering before the cars go into service.

As a test, I placed a car near the switch where the Erie Northshore's track leaves that of the Grand Valley. This is the start of the grade down to Elfrida:
[Image: rollingboxcar002.jpg]

Without being pushed, the car began to roll, out onto the bridge over the Speed River:
[Image: rollingboxcar003.jpg]

...and then into the tunnel to Elfrida:
[Image: rollingboxcar004.jpg]

...in a few seconds, the car shot out of the tunnel and into Elfrida:
[Image: rollingboxcar005.jpg]

...despite the track now being level, the car sped through town:
[Image: rollingboxcar006.jpg]

...then out onto the bridge at Chippawa Creek:
[Image: rollingboxcar008.jpg]

Now heading downhill again, she picked-up speed, rocketing over Indian Line:
[Image: rollingboxcar009.jpg]

...then over the Maitland river bridge:
[Image: rollingboxcar010.jpg]

...and into Lowbanks:
[Image: rollingboxcar011.jpg]

...unslowed, the car sped past the Lowbanks station...
[Image: rollingboxcar012.jpg]

...and around the curve towards Port Maitland:
[Image: rollingboxcar013.jpg]

Still rolling, the runaway glides past the GERN warehouse:
[Image: rollingboxcar014.jpg]

...and then the silos:
[Image: rollingboxcar016.jpg]

...finally slowing in the curve amidst the GERN complex, and coming to a stop less than 100' from the chasm at the layout room's entrance, where the lift-out was not in place: Eek
[Image: rollingboxcar017.jpg]

Based on this test, management has decided that a savings in coal consumption can be had by eliminating locomotives on all westbound through trains. Positions are now available for experienced brakemen to ride the cars, applying handbrakes where necessary. Applicants should have nerves of steel and several changes of underwear. Wink Misngth Misngth

Wayne
Here's one of the cars after the initial weathering:

[Image: NewYearsChallengePhotos304.jpg]

Weathering on this particular car was interrupted while it underwent minor repairs after a 5' tumble to the floor of the paint shop. 35
The next step will be to add re-weigh and re-pack data to all eight cars.

Wayne
Maannn...That's a gorgeous box car...!!

Some brakeman is gonna get his a** raked over the coals for failing to properly set the brakes.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Okay...so how did you get it to sit still for all those photos? Tongue

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
It wasn't standing still...He just used a very high shutter speed, and had lots'a luck... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
ocalicreek Wrote:Okay...so how did you get it to sit still for all those photos? Tongue

Galen

Well, simply placing it on the level areas, it mostly stayed put. For the grades, I used small objects to either foul the wheels or, as in the second and third shots, a spare tie, propped at an angle against the unseen end of the car. Too bad I didn't have a good way to keep 7780 from taking its downhill trip. Wallbang
Gus, I had thought about doing it as a video, but couldn't have got around the peninsula in time to catch-up with the car. I more-or-less expected it to make it to Lowbanks, as that trip is mostly downhill, with a flat spot only through Elfrida, but was surprised at how far it went beyond that.

Wayne
To add the re-weigh data, I airbrushed two shades of boxcar red onto some clear decal paper, then applied the left-over lettering from the original dry transfer sets. I then added the weigh-scale location DV (Dunnville) or MF (Mount Forest) and the date on which the work was performed. The sheets were then airbrushed with DullCote. Working with a sharp #11 blade on a sheet of glass, the individual data was cut-out and applied, like any regular decal, to the cars' sides. Several applications of Solvaset were required to get the painted and DullCoted decal film to snuggle down over any raised details.

[Image: NewYearsChallengePhotos305.jpg]

For the re-pack data, I used the decal sets for this purpose from Champ. First, a small piece of clear decal paper was airbrushed black, then small patches were cut from the sheet and applied.

[Image: NewYearsChallengePhotos306.jpg]

[Image: NewYearsChallengePhotos308.jpg]

After these had set, the Champ re-pack data was added:

[Image: NewYearsChallengePhotos307.jpg]

I used a small brush to apply Dullcote to the re-pack data. Only a little light weathering yet to be added, and any overspray cleaned from the wheel treads, and the cars will be placed in service.

Wayne
Sorry to ressurrect an old thread, but I'm speechless seing the final product! Wayne, you continue to amaze me again and again. I really liked the 36' MDC boxcar underframe upgrade! Will be useful.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/