0perations on the Kings Port Division
I've been rethinking how I operate my layout in order to keep it fresh and fun...and also because I'm pondering inviting a friend of mine along with his 9 year old son to join in an operation session. The way I've been running the layout is to develop a switch list for one train that serves the various industries on my layout and set it to work while another train continually rolls by to make things more active and interesting. I built my layout with some awarenes and interest in operations but hadn't thought out a very clear scheme. A long mainline run was more important to me at the time.

My track plan is a long folded over dogbone. It's U shaped with the end return loops superimposed over each other at one end. (Upper Left in the track plan) I'll post a crude track plan below.

[Image: 004-1.jpg]

I only drew the main line and what I call "the siding" (in red) that allows me to run a train from one side of the room to the other and switch several industries w/o interfering with a continuosly running train on the main.

One of the operational weaknesses of my layout is limited staging. I CAN use the two hidden tracks at the top of the diagram behind West Mill as places to park trains that can be called out when I want them but running more than two trains becomes a challenge. Hiiden track is represented by dotted lines.

BUT...I'm finding some creative ways to deal with that so I can run more trains in a meaningful sequence completely around the track plan and also have local switching action at both Kings Port and West Mill while another train is running.I'm hopping to pack a lot of action and variety into the scheme to keep up my interest and also to satisfy anyone who might visit and help run the railroad.

I was going to create this thread as a blog but thought I'd start it in the Operations Forum instead. I plan to keep adding to it with more decriptions, pictures, and detailed track diagrams of separate areas. Stay tuned!
Ralph
I should explain what the layout is supposed to represent. Its loosely based on Penn Central's River Line in NY that followed the Hudson River (formerly the NYC's West Shore Line). My city of Kings Port is just as loosely based on Kingston, NY a junction point for branches with a moderate yard. The fictional Kings Port & Western railroad meets the PC at Kings Port, has running rights up to West Mill where it has track going west and a car float connection to destinations to the east side of the Hudson. The area including Kings Port and West Mill is represented by the red "siding" on my track plan.
Penn Central track continuing to the North and South is represented by the continuous run of my main line. I imagine a connection to New England with the B&M but it isn't actually represented on the layout.

[Image: 006.jpg]

I'm not sure if the KP&W is an independent hold out during the PC era or if its a part of the system like the P&LE.

Sometime I'll create a more professional looking version of this map.

OK, on with the description of what I'm thinking when it comes to operations. As I mentioned above, I have limited staging tracks. I can hide two trains on the hidden tracks behind West Mill but those tracks are also needed for trains to roll through if they are going to complete a ciruit around the layout. I have some spurs where I can set strings of freight cars that can later become trains once they have power at the lead. This is where my loco yard comes in.

[Image: 017.jpg]

This locomotive yard gives me the ability to create four trains originating at Kings Port.
The first part of the new sequence I'm trying is to move the cars sitting at the West Mill float yard onto the car float so the yard tracks can be clear for a transfer that will be coming from Kings Port. This takes several moves with no more than two cars being loaded at a time to prevent excessive tipping or capsizing the float.

[Image: 025.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2812.jpg]
The tugboat "Robert H." is ready to pull the loaded carfloat away from the float bridge.

The first real train train will be the Float Transfer, a collection of Kings Port & Western cars the Penn Central is moving from Williams Yard in Kings Port to the car float yard in West Mill. Since Williams Yard isn't actually part of the layout, I use existing track to represent what might be the yard entrance to the yard "off-layout". At the start of the operating session I place these KP&W 50 footers on a spur that will later be important as location to set out cars. Right now, however, its one of the tracks of Williams Yard.

[Image: 016.jpg]

[Image: 012.jpg]
A Pennsey SD9 is called from the loco yard (the first track on the right of the engine yard) and couples the KP&W cars together. With two operators I imagine one person assembling this train while the other is busy on the other side of the room loading the car float.

[Image: 013.jpg]
The train rolls out with a PC transfer caboose at the end, which was set up on the hidden part of the spur (under the bridge beyond La Roche Manufacturing) that the cars were on.
Ralph, to add a little to operations you might want to run a commuter train that is supposed to be on time, but after all, it is PC.
I have a plan to run a doodlebug and trailer from my one low city (No name yet) to the high city on the opposite end of the pike, and it will require a reverse move over the main to add to dispatcher problems.
You could also add a wide load extra into the mix.
In addition you could have a local that holds up the hot shot when it is supposed to be in the clear. This would add interest as well as fun.
Charlie
The direction this train travels takes it over the entire layout until it reaches West Mill. The locos separate from the train, run around it, and pull the caboose.

[Image: 014.jpg]

[Image: 015.jpg]
Charlie B Wrote:Ralph, to add a little to operations you might want to run a commuter train that is supposed to be on time, but after all, it is PC.
I have a plan to run a doodlebug and trailer from my one low city (No name yet) to the high city on the opposite end of the pike, and it will require a reverse move over the main to add to dispatcher problems.
You could also add a wide load extra into the mix.
In addition you could have a local that holds up the hot shot when it is supposed to be in the clear. This would add interest as well as fun.
Charlie

You're way ahead of me with the commuter Charlie! It will actually be an RDC. Thumbsup As for the other complications (wide load extras, hot journal boxes, etc) I'll ponder throwing something into the mix to keep it spicy...for now I'm still trying to nail down my sequence of regularly scheduled trains. Smile

Ralph
Ralph, do you use dcc or dc to operate?
Charlie
Its DC with standard block controls Charlie.
The real River Line saw several trains a day and, if I understand it correctly, tended to run a number of them in one direction and then later in the other. I am representing this by running the same train periodically two or three times during the session. It hides on one of the hidden tracks behind West Mill. I can schedule them any time, particularly if another train is running on "the siding" and doesn't interfere with the main. Complications of having to set up "meets" could be arranged this way too.

I'm mixing my metaphors, so to speak, with the selection of power for this reoccurring train...its F units and GP9b lash up is suggestive of typical trains that came into NY from New England on B&M track. I learned about this in Morning Sun Books "Penn Central in Color Vol. 1" and really liked the way they looked. . I know some of you might find th idea of Penn Central "in color" amusing. Smile Any way, Trains on the River Line didn't have F units at the head but I love them so....they Do appear on the Kings Port Division.

[Image: 001.jpg]

[Image: 002.jpg]
If you ever go to DCC you will add another dimension to operations. It is possible to have cornfield meets with it.
I think your diner is fabulous. I love the fact that you can have "oatmeal on demand"
You have a great sense of humor.
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:If you ever go to DCC you will add another dimension to operations. It is possible to have cornfield meets with it.
I think your diner is fabulous. I love the fact that you can have "oatmeal on demand"
You have a great sense of humor.
Charlie

Thanks Charlie! It's a tribute to one of our friends who said that once when we were all over at his house for a breakfast.

I don't know if I'll ever get into the 21st century with DCC but I am aware of its benefits. Thumbsup
Ralph
While the train headed by the F units and GP9b is running (I need to come up with train names or numbers!) another operator can call this pair of KP&W F7s from the loco yard. Eventually the Penn Central train will be parked on one of the hidden tracks behind West Mill so the route will be clear for the KP&W train these locos will lead.

[Image: 021.jpg]

The locos couple to a string of hoppers at Kings Port Steel and will pull them over the entire layout until the train is parked on the other of the hidden tracks behind West Mill. I know the hopper pictured has a full load. Obviously the train of hoppers leaving the steel mill will be empties. I'm working on a string of KP&W cars for this purpose.

[Image: 022.jpg]
You probably have this, but PC train symbol information is here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.multimodalways.org/docs/railroads/companies/PCTC/PCTC%20Freight%20Schedules/PCTC%20Freight%20Schedule%206-1-1974.pdf">http://www.multimodalways.org/docs/rail ... 1-1974.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Charlie
Once the KP&W hopper train is on a hidden track I'll call the Penn Central freight from the other hidden track and have it run the layout again, stopping at Kings Port to set out some cars on a siding. It will then continue on back to park on the hidden track.

[Image: 001.jpg]

[Image: 003.jpg]
It doesn't seem to want to open for me Charlie but I'll search the site based on the name and see if I can find it. I do not have that train symbol info! Thanks!
Ralph