Are there too many colors?
I've been working on the street for several days now. I know streets can be a number of colors but are there too many in this one? I'm really looking for honest opinions rather than a bland "looks good."

[Image: IMG_5556.JPG]

Tom

PS I know the building on the corner is partially levitating itself. :o That's a different project. :-D
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Overall it's O.K. but it is weathered on the heavy side. The area behind the red car and down to and in front of the two-tone panel van type truck I would consider ligthening up maybe.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
My thoughts also. Since I posted this I've been putting in some scenery. Does this help or hinder the appearance of the road?

[Image: IMG_5560.JPG]

Tom

I guess I have to ask the "dumb question"......What paving material is the street supposed to be...concrete, Black top, ????

My first impression is that it is meant to be black top, in which case it is no where near dark enough to begin with.
If it is meant to be concrete?.........too white!, and the road edges are not well enough defined, and there are no expansion joints.

That said, I would have a tendency to lay down the street in the "new" color of the paving material represented, add the lane markings and then age it from there, and add the oil drippings, tire skid marks, cracks, repairs, etc. ( it's hard to really judge, as the photo isn't giving us a clear idea of what the color looks like to the eye, it appears to be the same color as the raw "dirt" of the hill behind the building.) The added scenery seems to make the road look even whiter, and therefore less natural. You did state " I'm really looking for honest opinions rather than a bland "looks good." "
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I was guessing it was concrete. If so adding expansion joints would help. The "earth" along side the road looks like beach sand as does the hill. I would suggest that if the road is supposed to be concrete add the joints then color the earth (brown, red clay, black topsoil or whatever) on the hill and along the road and vegetate the hill then see what you have before doing anything else to the road. If it's asphalt then it does need a lot more darkening.
Mike

Thanks for the insights, everyone. The road is indeed supposed to be asphalt. The locale is a generic southwestern town. The hills behind the town have yet to be completed. One thing I did notice while traveling in New Mexico is that the asphalt roads tend to be a lighter color than here in Iowa. The terrain colors appear a little more pink in the photo than they do in person. I think I need to readjust the white balance on my camera.

Thanks again to all who have contributed. I really appreciate the honesty.

Tom

I don't know squat about streets....But that trackwork is A#1...!!! Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Over all I think it looks good except that it's too white or grey. It almost stands out too much because of all the white & grey. You're inspiring me to weather & add some tones to the street on my layout as its an even consistent black!
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
I would say that it looks real IF you were modeling a town that salts their roads for wintertime and the salt dissolved in the street.
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
"modeling a town that salts their roads for wintertime "
That's kinda what it reminded me of also.
Mike

Also have to add that Ive been down a few Iowa roads an I'm guessing here the road colors would match the ballast too much so you'd want to differentiate the two instead having them blend together.
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Tyson Rayles Wrote:"modeling a town that salts their roads for wintertime "
That's kinda what it reminded me of also.

Yes, that's what I was thinking -- maybe you should add some extra rust on your cars & trucks! 357
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
The following statement is only a suggestion and can be taken for what it is worth to you. :mrgreen:

I think if that was my layout I would redo the sidewalk in aged concrete as it is (to my eyes) way to white for an older sidewalk.You might try using Woodland Scenics asphalt for the strreet then add a antique white wash to the road then some darker streaks down the middle of the lanes.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"