Layout help. Please
Hello All,

I am having trouble completing this layout with Bachmann EZ track. The loco shorts the track whenever it enters the " red " section of track from either direction. The whole layout is powered from the one terminal track in the bottom left side of the photo . The layous is powered with a Digitraxx Zephyr Extra.

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

When you say short, do you mean when the switches are thrown to diverging, or when the train actually enters the track? if all the other track is OK when the switches are thrown look for a problem with the switches. Try throwing only one switch and see if you can enter the track with a train (from either switch). That will give you some place to start. It all appears OK as far as no reverse loop to cause a short, so if there is a short it may be in one of the frogs. Are the switches power routing?
Sometimes that causes a problem.
Charlie
As Charlie says there is no reverse loop to cause a short. Do you actually see sparks when the train goes into that section of track or does it just quit running? To be honest I didn't know Bachmann made enough different curve radius' to put that many curves that close together. My first reaction is the track where the two switches are are not making a good connection.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
The train just stops, no sparks. I am new to HO I've only had O gauge but recently moved and only have room for a 4x8 layout. Are the switches being so close together a problem bc this is an Atles track plan used with Bachmann track. it's very fustrating this is the only segment of track that is causing a short. I tried switching out these two turnouts with other turnouts and the problem still occurs so I dont think that it is the hardware. I just hope to get it figured out so I can start attaching the track to the board.
Sorry this occurs whrn the switches are set to diverging. Thanks.
paratect Welcome

Is the engine actually shorting and tripping the Zephyr or is the engine gust stopping? If the engine is gust stopping and not tripping the circuit breaker on the Zephyr try placing a quarter on the rails to trip it, if it trips then try it on the problem area and if it does not trip it there the problem could be a contact problem in the track were they join onto the switches. Maybe?????? :?
Robert
Modeling the Canadian National prairie region in 1959.
paratect Wrote:Sorry this occurs whrn the switches are set to diverging. Thanks.
Does it do it if only one is thrown?
I'll will try that as soon as I get home. I REALLY appreciate all the help.
I had a loco that stopped like that on a curve. I removed the shell, observed the loco reach the curb and noted that there was unwanted contact between metal parts as the trucks turned to accommodae the curve. I only needed to slightly bend the metal holding the headlight bulb a little to avoid this and it never happned again. Might be worth removng the shell and seeing what happens inside.

Ralph
Do you have a 12V bulb you can hook across the track? This will tell if it's a short or an open circuit.
Can you run in the rest of block 6?

If the bulb stays on, (or if you don't have one) try putting a wire onto that section, touching it to another rail on that side. It's always possible that there is no full circuit through one of the switches or some other joint.
Can you run the loco to section 10 and 12? Those have curves in the same direction and should indicate if there is a loco problem. Or turn the loco around to see if it always stops turning to the right.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I am fairly certain that EZ-track turnouts are DCC-friendly, this means that the turnout frog is isolated, looking at your track-plan it looks like that section of track doesn't receive power from the terminal since it loses it in the turnout.

Putting another set of feeder wires somewhere in the inside loop should fix the problem.

If you need help understanding DCC wiring I suggest you read this: http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches.htm
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
I always had the same problem with double=ended sidings. I solved it by placing insulated joiners at each end of the sidind, just before the switch, and running feeders to the track. Never figured out why it worked, but it did.
steemtrayn Wrote:I always had the same problem with double=ended sidings. I solved it by placing insulated joiners at each end of the sidind, just before the switch, and running feeders to the track. Never figured out why it worked, but it did.

If he is using live frogs Eek that is probably his problem and your solution would work! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Okay, If it will run on DC wiring, it will run on DCC on the same wiring - so looking at it as a DC wired layout it needs to be done under the following rules
#1 Always feed from the narrow end of a turnout
#2 When the wide ends of two turnouts point towards each other alway break both rails between them
-so you need insulated joiners in BOTH rails whever there is a solid blacl ine across the tracks, and feeds at the triangles
then it should work