Ho car info??
Most of the time I model what I see , There is a short line near me & they deliver covered hopper to a small plastices co. & the last couple of times I've caught them it's been the ribbed hoppers !! I was think about finding a cheap ACF center flow & useing the top & bottom & make new ribbed sides ??
cv_acr Wrote:
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Its an FMC hopper, much like the ones first produced by Model Diecasting and now by Athearn.

No, it absolutely isn't.

Context is a beautiful thing. They were trying to find which old kit works for this protoype. It may not be the same, but that is the closest starting point short of starting from scratch.

Also, if the original poster is seeing these cars parked at a plastics place, then obviously the car isn't what you think it is either.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Also, if the original poster is seeing these cars parked at a plastics place, then obviously the car isn't what you think it is either.

How do you figure? I said the car in the original photo was a plastic pellet service car...
Ah, I see what happened there. My mistake.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Perhaps scratch build it ? Use the frame and trucks from a donor car , modify the frame as needed ....the sides shouldn't be too difficult with styrene . Just my 2 cents .

Terry
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
kamerad47 Wrote:I was think about finding a cheap ACF center flow & useing the top & bottom & make new ribbed sides ??

That's my vote. Sounds like a very plausible way to build a car similar to the car in the OP.
There's an article and drawing of the similar PS\Trinity 5820 hoppers in the Feb 88 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman. I've been planning scratchbuilding one for a while, using parts from a cheapo Athearn hopper.
And it features in <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ostpubs.com/modern-freight-cars-covered-hoppers-vol-1/">http://www.ostpubs.com/modern-freight-c ... ers-vol-1/</a><!-- m --> which I had not come across before, so thanks for starting the thread
Tim David
Hey, Tim, Welcome to Big blue.

Wayne
Thanks, I've been lurking for a good while now.
Tim David