ATSF GP7u
Reinhard
Don't worry too much about your weathering. Back in my intermodal modeling days did some NCAS cans when Microscale came out w/ the decals. Having Seen them daily as a conductor, never worried about how mine looked. Most NCAS cans came from older can owners & the patch jobs were so bad it could be said a blind handicapped modeler could do a MUCH better job than done on the real ones were!
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
I gave it a try to improve the over weathered GP7u.

Starting from here
[Image: file_zps353b9c9c.jpg]

I used cotton buds moisture but not wet with 99% alcohol. Working small spots with vertical moves only and not a applying the alcohol longer than 3-5 seconds did work well. After that time starts the alcohol to attack the paint and softens it. That will result in a real mess (I know from last week!). However, within that short time could a good amount of weathering removed. I did also not see the ugly white spots caused be alcohol.
[Image: file_zps45face68.jpg]

I gave the paint about one hour rest time to settle and started a second round. This time even more caution working on one spot for 2-3 seconds only.
[Image: file_zps3328323e.jpg]

I am glad to have converted a close to ruined model to a not so well weathered model Smile
Reinhard
A small small parcel with drop steps, antenna and fuel nozzles from Atlas parts department arrive today. That completes my MAW, WAER and CNUR GP7U fleet.
I did not cut the front and rear handrail apart to add some chain. The stability would suffer to much. A little dull black paint works at the distance just fine.
[Image: file_zpsbfe53c66.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard
The chains after a very short while took on a grey/black/rusty color. So they definitely didn't stay the handrail color!
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler