My plastic freight car challenge
Pretty indeed.

The easiest way to put a nice John Allen or Malcolm furlow swayback into a car is to cast it in resin...and bend the mold while it is curing. Early on in my resin casting...I did this a few times by accident... 35

Bernd, your results are very good.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
Thank you all for your honoring comments.

Michael, thank you for your idea; I think that this can be a good way to get models with personality.
However I'm not sure if I will start also in resin casting, or?
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
The end is reached - more exactly: almost.
Some little things were still added - stirrups and hand brake wheels.

[Image: heinzpicklecar_14k.jpg]

[Image: heinzpicklecar_17k_0.jpg]

And last the big letter boards were mounted on top of cars.

[Image: heinzpicklecar_20k.jpg]

After weekend I will add one or two more pictures of the first run of these models on a big modular layout where I can check the three-point suspension which is a bit different to that what I have otherwise realized. I want to write about that then also briefly.
A friend of me will explain afterwards the painting and lettering and then the very last parts must be added - the brake hoses. Ready!

And the next project can come, once again two or three cars from the time about 1900.
Cheers, Bernd

You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Very nice cars, Bernd!
I am always amazed at the many details!
Looking forward to seeing the cars with paint!
Very nice work from you!

Sven
Member of American Model Railroaders of Eastern Germany (AMREG)

Visit: http://www.amreg.de/#Startseite
Once again, beautiful workmanship Bernhard. Looking forward to seeing them painted and lettered. I was looking through Art Griffin's decal catalogue yesterday and noticed that he has decals for coffin-style pickle cars. A quick check just now showed some on Page 119, but I'm pretty sure that there are others, too. Supposedly, all of the lettering is taken directly from builders' photographs and, in most cases, covers the period from the 1880s to the 1930s.

Wayne
Thank you, Sven and thank you, Wayne.
In this case the decals are included of the Westerfield kits - however it could be that there will be a small difference to those offered by Art Griffin's. I will see what my friend means about it which will paint the models.

Here yet two pictures taken at FREMO-meeting in last weekend (FREMO - FRiends of European MOdel railroaders with three different US-subdivisions, one in Unna near Dortmund, Germany).

[Image: heinzpicklecar_22k.jpg]

Switching with an old however digitalized Marklin F-7 (not my own).
[Image: heinzpicklecar_23k.jpg]

The cars did run very well and my three-point suspension worked also without problems. Here two pictures how I realized it.

[Image: dreipunkt_07k.jpg]

One truck is fastened only by a screw without every additional parts and the model rest with an easily convax surface. So the truck can swing in all directions.

[Image: dreipunkt_08k.jpg]

The second truck is fastened with a feather and thus it can wobble on the narrowly filed edge only in direction of moving. The only problem is to be found the right spring tension by softer or harder feathers or also by a varying length. In any case, the truck must be able to turn without big opposition and only in second entity the feather must prevent sideways wobbling the model.
In addition I have found just with some brass car models a lot to strong feathers for the connection of the trucks and then just the "better" and more expansive brass models have often jumped the track. Then, nevertheless, there I must still invest some reworking.

All in all, very nice days at Fremo-meeting and a gain a good time in discussions and exchange of experiences. And my complete 1930 train did run on a bigger layout – unfortunately without good pictures.
Cheers, Bernd

Bernhard, it is good to see your masterpieces on a fine layout. That is the right framework they deserve Thumbsup
Reinhard
Reinhard, thanks! There were really three good days with friends.

PS. Click here for more impressions of FREMO-meeting.
Cheers, Bernd

once all I can say is Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Thumbsup
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
E-paw, thanks also, however such deep bows are not necessary.
You know I like to do fine detailings and I will like to show my technices in order to give ideas or hints for your own modeling. And I think that everything what I build can also build each of you with a little practise.
Cheers, Bernd

Wow! Lovely pickle cars Bernhard! The underframes are beautiful. We can't compte with your craftman skills here!!!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Matt, thank you very much - however this is too many of honor!
Here in forum are many others with great skill in scratchbuilding and whose models are excellent equally.
Cheers, Bernd

I would like to add a picture of the painted GN reefer, the first model that I have posted here in my thread.

[Image: gn-reefer_021ks.jpg]

The new owner prefers to own fresh painted models only - a thing that I can't understand.

And a few good more news. My Heinz pickle cars are in the paint shop of my friend. So more pictures will follow in next time.
Cheers, Bernd

modelsof1900 Wrote:....The new owner prefers to own fresh painted models only - a thing that I can't understand.

Very nicely finished, Bernhard. Thumbsup

I agree that most models look better with at least some weathering, but how much is "enough" or "too much" depends on individual tastes. I think that most modellers who are capable of weathering a car would generally prefer to do so rather than have someone else do the work. This isn't necessarily because they think that they can do a better job of it, only that they feel that they can do the job exactly the way they think it should look.
If their work makes a mess of the car, or if they choose to not weather it at all, you can take satisfaction from having given them a well-built and good-looking car.

Wayne
Doc, thank you for your view to new and old models - and I agree with you.
The interests are different and if everyone likes to get new models, ok. However I love these most heavily aged and weathered models and I think that they should get this weathering exactly to that what I think.
And than the difference in my own wishes and opinion.
I own an old time reefer of Colorado Midland RR. (a LaBelle kit) with the Indian in the logo - aged and weathered like all my models. And since a longer time already I would like to build same model a second time, this time in new and fresh livery - because it's such a nice, a colorful and very well decorated car with the Indian. I think that time will come that I will build this model again. Crazy, these own wishes and ideas in model building!
Cheers, Bernd