Using Locks on Switches While Operating
I can see how it could add an interesting wrinkle to an ops session. On some layouts like a small switching layout, it could work. On a larger layout, it could be a hindrance. If you put a hinged box (or even duct tape a box) over the switch control, you can answer the question of "is it worth the effort?"

While Lance Minheim has done amazing work and revolutionized how we design and look at switching layouts, not everyone has to agree with all of his work. Remember, Lance is suggesting how to design and operate our layouts.

I love his Palmetto Spur layout, but I don't like the drill lead that's temporarily attached to the plan. I would just add a drill track with scenery that would either fold up, down, or swing sideways out of the way. Does that take away from the plan? Not at all. It just means I like it slightly different.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Interesting that Lance has an entry on his blog http://www.lancemindheim.com/blog.htm (April 3, 2012) pertaining to the use of switch locks and a source for purchasing lots of small locks that are keyed alike. So anyone that wants to experiment with this, might want to take a look.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
You know, I thought that was strange since any locksmith can get you as many locks as you want with the same key. I guess it's for those that don't have a locksmith nearby.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Having a keyed on/off switch at mainline turnouts could be feasible, if you were to use a switch to control the lectrical power to the turnout- you have to turn key switch to ON to power up the controls for the turnout. I could see where you could place such a keyed on/off switch right in the area of either the fascia or the turnout control itself.

Here are some examples of keyed on/off switches listed on eBay in large lots:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-Key-Switc...4cffd6154f
and
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8x-Key-Switch-ON...2a1214385d

If they are keyed alike, it would be pretty easy, IMHO.
Al
At the Lake County Model Railroad Club, on open house days, having locks on the switches, would have prevented a number of "incidents" cause by the accidental throwing of a mainline switch, by one or more of the guests. Other than that, it would have been more of a bother, than a benefit. We've had to spike the throw rails of some of the switches on the modular layout at shows, because "fingers get playful when no one is looking". I, personally, would not be inclined to lock the switches on my home layout.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
If you're modeling CTC in any way, this problem could be handled by manual-vs-remote control -- the CTC operator would normally operate main line switches from the panel, but could allow the switch to be operated manually at the location by the train crew. The electrics for this would be simple, though the CTC panel itself would be a major, major project. I've been nervous now and then at open houses that someone would throw a main line switch wondering what such-and-such on a yard panel does -- though in ten years or more of open houses, it's never been a problem, and I decided long ago that it wasn't going to be worth building a CTC panel and then trying to find operators to run the layout that way.
I appreciate all the comments and feedback. My turnout controls are all manual and my layout represents an industrial shortline similar to the LAJ. There are no electric controls or control panels or remote operation. If I do try the locks, it would be something physical like the following.

Actually, I know for certain that I will put locks on the 3 mainline turnouts at the Hobby Industrial area just to see how the crews like them at the April ops session. As I mentioned before, I won't be surprised if the crews don't like them. And if they don't feel the locks add anything good, I'll take them off and abandon the idea.
Guys,Sounds like a ton of fun to slow down your speedy crew...

However..

It can take a heads up crew 20-25 minutes to pick up and set out a car at a industry.

You really want to emulate that?

IMHO Ed's tongue in cheek method would be the best way to slow your crew down. Icon_lol

Seriously,working derails and working gates still wouldn't slow Mr.Speedy down.He would walk ahead of his train and open gates and derails and forget to close them.

I have invited very few to come and share a "work day" with me on my pass ISLs only because those layouts was small and waiting between moves was a must or you could have switched every industry in less then 5 minutes real time.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Ops session coming up this Sunday. Got a couple of locks put on at the Hobby Industrial area. These are installed on the two turnouts from the main at each end of the siding. I'll let the crews use those two and see what they think , then the decision will be made whether to add more.

I did a bit of switching just to see how it felt, so far, the locks seemed to add to the realism and enjoyment. Still, maybe it is just the novelty, may grow old after awhile. On that note, since most of my operators would only be around every other month or so, maybe the novelty would not grow into tedium for them?

The installation was pretty clean and straightforward...

So the turnouts can only be locked in one position?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
ocalicreek Wrote:So the turnouts can only be locked in one position?

Galen

I think these are the industrial sidings off the main - so it makes sense to lock them for the mainline.

Andrew
Andrew is correct. The turnouts can be locked only for the main. Since the local crews would be present and working the industries on the siding, I don't see any need to have the turnouts locked in the "non-main" position. Does that make sense?
Gary S Wrote:Andrew is correct. The turnouts can be locked only for the main. Since the local crews would be present and working the industries on the siding, I don't see any need to have the turnouts locked in the "non-main" position. Does that make sense?

I understood that is the way the prototype does it in that case.
Reinhard
I talked to a fella Saturday during the club's train show open house and this subject came up..

According to him he uses a Peco SL84 derail with a tortoise switch machine controlled by a toggle switch.

His local crews must wait on the slo mo switch machine to open the derail.

For those that fail to close or walks ahead of his train to open the derail gets demoted to main line engineer.He has had 100% compliance.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Gary S Wrote:Andrew is correct. The turnouts can be locked only for the main. Since the local crews would be present and working the industries on the siding, I don't see any need to have the turnouts locked in the "non-main" position. Does that make sense?

Yes, but what I was getting at was the inherent design of the push-pull knob restricts you to two settings - pull = main and push = siding, or the reverse, depending on what sort of linkage you've got under the track. So if pull = siding, and you lock the knob in the pulled position, you've just locked it for the siding. Confusedhock: A simple crank connection will reverse the motion and set things right. However, you still need a visual aid of some sort to know how the switch is lined, whether that's a target on the turnout itself, or some sort of panel indicator. I suppose the lock can serve this function, in a way, as long as your crews know which way the turnouts are supposed to be locked when they leave the area.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!