N-scale?
paulus_jas Wrote:Hi Justin,
do you have a reason to stay away from more ambitious plans?
IMHO you do not need the passing siding at the top anymore, when you have that staging yard extension.
Might be a matter of taste.
Have fun behind the drawing board.
Paul.

Paul,If I may..

One thing I have notice is less is best with N Scale when it comes to designing a HCD layout since the door is small piece of real estate and one needs to leave room for scenery and such.

All three of my past HCD layouts had a yard and engine service area on one side and a industrial area on the other side and had urban scenery instead of your normal layout scenery.

That top passing siding can be use to hold a train as another leaves the staging area-adds a tad more to HCD loop operation.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
hi Brakie,

please read Justin's first entry. He did not mention he is limited to a HCD only, he even provided us with with a drawing of a small 11x8 room.
Just having a 6' 8" x 2' 8" Hollow Core Door in that space did not seem very ambitious to me. Justin filled in "the why" later.
BTW "less is more" is a void statement until you have seen his plans. In the same space he could build a more engaging layout without any overcrowding.

Paul
hi Brakie,

please read Justin's first entry. He did not mention he is limited to a HCD only, he even provided us with with a drawing of a small 11x8 room.
Just having a 6' 8" x 2' 8" Hollow Core Door in that space did not seem very ambitious to me. Justin filled in "the why" later.
BTW "less is best" is a void statement until you have seen his plans. In the same room he could build a more engaging layout without any overcrowding.

My normal scenery?? You are dreaming lots Larry. Let me put it mildly, it depends on the wishes of the owner of the layout. Urban, suburban or rural, i like them all.

And about the extra meeting spot hidden behind a hill. I would not use it often or maybe not use it at all, just because it is hardly visible. The minute extra waiting time would not bother me. As I said, this might be a matter of taste.

Justin,
you could place the HCD in the centre of your room, with a narrow shelf along the long wall. It would open up the till now hidden passing siding.
The possible 11' long shelf can be used in many ways, just for staging is one of the possibilities. I do agree with you however, if this is just a project till this summer, why bother at all, just start building the Carolina Central.

Paul
Paul,That "your" was in general speak since most N Scalers adds mountains and rivers to their HCD layout.I'm not a big fan of either.

As far as the available space I would not fill that room with a more "ambitious" layout..I would use one side for the layout and the other side for my work desk and storage.
Besides all that a humble 36" x 80" HCD can be a very "ambitious" layout if planned correctly.

I'll stilll stand by "less is best" on a HCD layout.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!