Gone Fishing.
Something I'll like to share.

As many of you know I have limited use of my right and that cause me to give up one of my favorite sports-fishing 5 years ago- due to the aggravation of not being able to tie knots or bait my hook and having to abandon ship when my friends boat caught fire on Lake Erie-that was the first time I put on a life vest.Thankfully the nearby boats came to our aid.

Fast forward to 2012..

After gaining more use of my right hand and with much practice I can tie simple granny blood knot-in fishing terms that's a step above a granny knot.I kept my casting skills by practicing and fine tuning the left hand back cast and flip.I decided to give it a try and put new line on two of my favorite reels a Daiwa Shock 2500B and a aging Daiwa J1350L,restocked my tackle box and bought license-with some reserve.

So....

Yesterday I went fishing and caught a 16" rainbow trout.The biggest trout I ever caught! I never knew that the Crossroads Industrial Park Pond(about 2 1/2 acres in size) was one of Ohio's stocked trout waters.I can also railfan while fishing.. I also caught several 6-10" trout and 15 or 20 rock brass(I call 'em a souped up bluegill).It was nice.I'm going to start carrying my camera..I wish I had it yesterday.

Once again old blue(the J1350L) caught fish.I didn't use the 2500B.

I'm fully convince one of the things (besides God's good grace) that help me get more use out of my hand is N Scale modeling and the other is not giving up the hobby because my modeling suffered under the off hand modeling and the limited use of my right hand...
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Good to hear Larry! I hope your right hand and arm continue to improve. As someone who also enjoys fishing I know what a thrill it had to be to be catching fish again. Cheers 2285_ Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I'm not a fisherman for sure, but I can appreciate the milestone that you've just passed. Congratulations on your improvement and it's that way because you didn't give up. 219 Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
sounds great Brakie,,, if your ever up in our neck of the woods look up Tomustang and myself for a day out fishing.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
That is great news Brakie. I love to fish, but not an Avid fisherman anymore, but the joy of catching a big fish is something everyone should experience at least once.
I once caught a 12 pound carp using a sonic minnow and 2 pound test line ultra lite rig. First carp I ever caught with a lure. It was fun and took over a half an hour to land him.
Now get back at it.
Charlie
Way to go Brakie! Good for you! Go get those lunkers! Thumbsup
Great story Larry ...about the closest i get to fishing is cooking salmon on the bar-b-que . It's great to hear that you can carry on with your passion for fishing .

Terry
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Great News Larry!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Glad to hear you're enjoying another great hobby too!! Thumbsup
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Way to go Larry! I gotta tell you it's always a great accomplishment to get back on the horse. From personal experience I've found that snap swivels do wonders instead of tying lures on when the hands go numb

[Image: snaps.jpg]

I tend to stay away from the older style seen below

[Image: snap-swivel.jpg]

because they just pull apart.
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Brakie Wrote:....I'm fully convince one of the things (besides God's good grace) that help me get more use out of my hand is N Scale modeling and the other is not giving up the hobby because my modeling suffered under the off hand modeling and the limited use of my right hand...
Great news! I fully agree. Constant training can do a lot.
Reinhard
Good for you! I wonder if a person could bill their insurance company for the "physical therapy" of model railroading? Probably not huh. Big Grin
Corey
Great news, Larry. As an avid non-fisherman, I spent many an hour in good natured ribbing with my dad and brother-in-law about the joys (or complete lack thereof) of fishing.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
faraway Wrote:
Brakie Wrote:....I'm fully convince one of the things (besides God's good grace) that help me get more use out of my hand is N Scale modeling and the other is not giving up the hobby because my modeling suffered under the off hand modeling and the limited use of my right hand...
Great news! I fully agree. Constant training can do a lot.

Its been a uphill battle with ruin HO car kits,ruin locomotive shells(trying to add details),ruin decals and botched paint and decal jobs.

Thankfully I didn't suffer that much damage in N Scale since I know it would be folly to try to add locomotive details.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Congrats Larry. It's things like this that make life all that much better.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Good for you!!! 219
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)