One-Off 1:1 Scratch-Build
From close to my "neck-of-the-woods"...a claimed world-record Schnabel is nearing completion, and will be on the move this summer. Here's a video report from Youngstown's WKBN - TV: http://www.wkbn.com/s/1eg9xTgM0UO7C-NeQU...HCyU.email. Grab your photo equipment and stock up on scratch materials ! Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Wow!! That's Huge!!! Eek Shame it's 6 hours from me, or I might go out there and see if I could see it too Smile Smile Please post any pics that you take Smile Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
That's just plain cool. Big Grin
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Drool,

Thanks for posting the link Bob.

I had read about the car on Trains newswire but seeing it for real and seeing inside the workshop is so much better.

Much Appreciated.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Awesome! This huge size!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Hmmmmmmmmmm Icon_twisted If I needed one for the narrow gauge 1:20.3.... This would work out to be about 11 feet long without the load... Eek Eek Eek
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

ngauger Wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmm Icon_twisted If I needed one for the narrow gauge 1:20.3.... This would work out to be about 11 feet long without the load... Eek Eek Eek

Well dont try to build one in your basement or you will never get it out without taking the house apart. 35

Mark
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin It would definitely have to be taken out "Longways" Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Icon_lol Icon_lol

Wallbang Wallbang Wallbang I wish youse guys had said somethin' sooner....it's almost done, and now,there's no room for more layout, and it won't go around the corners !! Schnable, grumble, Schnable, grumble Wallbang Wallbang Wallbang

Icon_lol Icon_lol
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
Icon_lol Icon_lol

Wallbang Wallbang Wallbang I wish youse guys had said somethin' sooner....it's almost done, and now,there's no room for more layout, and it won't go around the corners !! Schnable, grumble, Schnable, grumble Wallbang Wallbang Wallbang

Icon_lol Icon_lol

Let me guess what happened:

You got all excited seeing this fancy big car and so you rushed to your work bench,

You hurriedly stripped the bogies off of some of your most expensive heavy duty freight cars, stripping threads and loosing screws as you went,

You ruined the transfer artwork on those cars with your greasy sweaty fingers, not to mention broken ladders and handrails,

You used up all your carefully hoarded supplies of structural shapes and sheet styrene as you rushed to throw together your 'interpretation' of this very unique American Schnabel Car,

You sliced several of your fingers with your hobby knife in your haste, some several times during blade changes, putting bloody finger prints all over your 'model', your work bench and your clothes,

You weren't wearing your 'hobby clothes' but rather what was once your 'Sunday Best' or equivalent. Those glue spots, knife slashes and paint smears are not going to come out, EVER.

Meanwhile that special Hobby Apron with all those fancy pockets for your scale rules, draughting pencils, vernier, note book, bi-focal magnifying glasses and LED pencil torch, with the special Velcro small parts catcher pocket,
that your dear, ever so thoughtful, charming, and supportive, overworked wife and mother of your numerous children, so lovingly created by working late into the night after a long tiring day at work before your last special birthday,
lies in a crumpled damp and smelly mess in a very dark corner under your layout, complete with solidifying oil based paint spill slowly locking it all together in a chaos theory manner.

And you have no idea where it is, only that it is 'round here somewhere. Good Luck explaining your way out of that part of this messy situation.

In your over excited haste to be the first to construct a 'model' of this car, you didn't even bother with checking to see if it would be able to transit anywhere on your layout, no attempt to check clearances, curvature, overhang or under cut or grades, crests or dips, let alone safely exit the siding you were thinking of extending, to be able to store it and at least some of its special train in a made up state. I wont even mention that dodgy track work with the poor electrical connections, in that hard to reach far corner of your layout built in your younger youthful, salad days, with the projecting run of bench work on the inside of the curve that you suspect maybe responsible for those mysterious derailments and paintwork scrapes on some of your longest most expensive rolling stock, that also makes up a key part of the route you were going to use for the special train to avoid that difficult grade inside that tight and twisted tunnel on your main line.

Nope I think that it would be fair to say that you didnt really think or plan this whole exercise at all. Wallbang

Have you ever heard the saying; Haste makes Waste at any time in your life prior to today?

Mark

>>> For new readers; this is all a very tongue in cheek response to Sumpter250's posting highlighting the many human foibles we all possess and somehow try to defeat. 357 357
Icon_lol Cheers Icon_lol Cheers Icon_lol Cheers Icon_lol

WAY TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!! Goldth Goldth Goldth Goldth Goldth
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Out side the Kasgro Shop. It is a big one.        
Charlie
Is it just me or does the paint work of the red end of the car look a little patchy, like it needs an extra coat or two of paint?

Study the upper photo and let us know what you think?

Mark
OK, my guess, Mark, is less-than-automotive-quality body work...the paint is ok, but the panels aren't "flat", causing the reflective variance seen as a color change - patchy paint. Because it's shiny-new and in the proper lighting, the "bulges" in the wall sheets are more noticeable - a little weathering and dirt may actually make it look better...just a guess. 35 ...and since seeing the colors applied - will they be hauling (Patriotically) a white bit of lading in the middle? Bob C
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
I see what your saying Bob as I can easily see the creasing of the side panels on both halves of the unit where the sub framing has been welded on to the sheeting, but it seems to be more than just that.

It seems to me that the blue side has received more coats of paint than the red side, possibly at the last primer and first top coat stage. It looks like the red side received a primer coat over the welding and seams areas, due to the extra stresses the paint will be under at those points, but that it missed out on one of the all over primer coats to help smooth out the overall surface. Possibly the same is also true for the red sub coats.

I am thinking that I might print a copy of the photo and show the painter at work as he has done industrial and automotive repair paint work at times.

Mark

I just realised what you meant by the patriotic colours comment Bob. If the reactor vessel is painted in white then the whole car will be Red, White and Blue for the U.S of A. If so I hope that they improve the paintwork on the red half of the car.

Given that we are just about to start July, I dont think it will be loaded by the 4th of July.