Restoring an old friend, my Mantua Pacific
Rather than continue to clog the camp fire with my updates, I figured I'd post them here. There isn't much to the project but detailing and painting an old friend. This is my progress on an old Mantua Pacific from my childhood.

This loco is one of the original given to me and my brother from my Uncle who was getting out of the hobby in the mid 80's. He gave us an Athearn gp35, F7 and this Mantua Pacific along with boxes of track, buildings, and everything else you'd need. It was mine and my brother's favorite as kids. When I pulled out the old trains five years ago after fifteen years to resume the hobby, it was kind of beat up and ran like crap. I bought the stuff to rebuild it four years ago with the intention of doing the work I'm doing right now. Building the layout has been a bigger priority until recently. Now that the layout is over 90% finished I have time to work on this project. I also have acquired an airbrush, some more tools, and a few more skills since then as well! I know I could buy another plastic loco for around the same money I've spent, but this is more fun. Besides, the first thing my brother asked when viewing the layout was whether that old steamer still ran! Pretty soon I can tell him yes!

Here is a picture of what it looked like right after it's inaugural run out of storage.

[Image: railroad04-05-07057.jpg]

I ran it in circles on my then 4x8 hoping it would smooth out. It proceeded to destroy itself like Forest Gump shedding his "magic shoes". I know the damage seen in the picture is just a loose bolt but it got worse. I took it apart and didn't know how to put it back together. Without the know how or skills to fix it, I put it away for safe keeping.
Corey
Four years ago I decided to close my business and move back to MN from WI. Thinking I wouldn't have room or money for a layout, I decided to work on this locomotive as a project. I went to yardbirdtrains.com and purchased a replacement motor, trailing truck, and basic detail kit. I figured I could rebuild this while I waited for a suitable area to build a new layout. Well, we rented a much bigger place with room for the layout I have now. The project was placed back in a box with the new parts waiting for me to get a round tuit!

Fast forward to a week ago when I decided to strip this baby in 91% alcohol. I soaked it for three days and only removed half the paint at best. Then yesterday I sat down and glued, glued, drilled, filed, and glued some more! The results so far are these.

[Image: Mantuarepair010.jpg]

[Image: Mantuarepair015.jpg]

[Image: Mantuarepair004.jpg]

The results aren't going to win any awards, but it's looking better already.
Corey
Sweet work...love those classic Mantuas... Thumbsup

[Image: IMG_8946-640.jpg]
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
OK....Now we're steamin'..!!

Love those old Mantua Pacifics...!! I've got two...The original late 40's vintage, which was my ol' man's. And the "new & improved" version one of my bros gave me for Christmas a couple of years back. Truth be told, I prefer the original version...One of these days I'll restore the original and have her pounding the tracks again...

Looking forward to your progress, with LOTS of pics.... Thumbsup

BTW...Is Yardbird Trains back in business..?? I haven't been able to get through to them since the original owner passed away last year...
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:BTW...Is Yardbird Trains back in business..?? I haven't been able to get through to them since the original owner passed away last year...
Wow, I was just wondering why I couldn't find any of their stuff listed on Ebay. I come back to this site and I find out why! :o

I was just looking at the pilot this thing comes with and was thinking of ordering a different one. Maybe I'll have to rethink that!
Corey
secondhandmodeler Wrote:
Steamtrains Wrote:BTW...Is Yardbird Trains back in business..?? I haven't been able to get through to them since the original owner passed away last year...
Wow, I was just wondering why I couldn't find any of their stuff listed on Ebay. I come back to this site and I find out why! :o

I was just looking at the pilot this thing comes with and was thinking of ordering a different one. Maybe I'll have to rethink that!

Yeah...That "double-hump" pilot could use replacing...You might try Cal-Scale.
Gus (LC&P).
That bulbous pilot and the saber tooth tiger looking hand rails connected to it are the biggest giveaway of a Mantua to me.
Corey
A coat of primer from a rattle can and steam power poly scale acrylic from the air brush has been applied. I painted the peices separately but paired them back up to see what they looked like. Once the paint cures a little more I'll shoot it with model master acrylic gloss for decals. By golly this thing is moving right along.

[Image: Mantuarepair019.jpg]
Corey
That's already looking much-improved. Thumbsup

I have one, belonging to a friend, that also needs a little tlc, but it seems to be in pretty good shape except for the fact that he removed the headlight, along with much of the detail of the smokebox front. Nope Misngth He has a fairly nice brass tender that will replace the original, and the whole thing will, of course, need repainting.

Here's another Mantua that's had a bit of a makeover, including a can motor and NWSL gearbox:

[Image: 2007-01-10497.jpg]

[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainPhotos2007thirdcd4.jpg]

This one, long since sold, got a new cab and tender from MDC, along with a revised front end:

[Image: GrandValley96-Tyco-Mantua2-8-2.jpg]

[Image: GrandValley2-8-296.jpg]

Wayne
Excellent work... A new coat of paint really improve the looks of this good old model. I just love the reapainted boxpox wheels.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
WoW..!! A coat of paint really changes the whole thing....Looks great..!! Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
You're probably aware of it, but the valve gear, at least that on the visible side of the loco in your photo, needs to be adjusted: the eccentric crank on the main (middle) drive should have its outboard end pointing towards the counterbalance weight which is cast as part of the driver's centre. The one on the other side of the loco should line up in the same manner, pointing towards its respective counterweight.

Wayne
Wayne, actually I didn't know that! As much as I like trains, I don't know that much about them! :oops: Thanks for the help. I'll fix that for the next shot!

Here is a super glossy loco.

[Image: Mantuarepair025.jpg]

It looks like the ones I've seen in museums that have been stuffed and mounted. Smile After the decals are added I hope to spray the boiler, cab, and tender with semi gloss. Then I'll spray the wheels and such with flat. It's amazing to me that this is the same paint job with a different clear coat.
Corey
Sorry Doc,
I'm not sure if I understand you right of positioning for the eccentric crans - however this can be my misunderstnding of English.
Please let me repeat this as I would say it.

- First turn the drivers so that the crank pins, epecially the main crank pin, are positioned at the most lover position (i.e. in a vertical line below of axles).
- Second, the eccentric crank must stand now slightly forward, so that the small end pin (where the eccentric rod is connected) stand exactly in one level with center of main driver.
- This adjustment must be done in same way for both sides of engine.
As sample click this drawing of a steam engine or here and look the main driver in center with position of the eccentric rod. Watch that the eccentric crank of opposite side is positioned equally in forward direction to cylinders (when crank pins stand in most lowered position).

I hope that I have released no additional misunderstanding with my description.

Corey, a fine model. I'm looking forward for pictures of the lettered engine!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
You're correct, Bernhard, and I should have been more specific as to the positioning. 35 Your links show the correct alignment.

Wayne