How far are you from the nearest tracks
I live about a mile west of the UP (former CNW) mainline through Fort Dodge. Traffic varies from zero on many days to three or four trains a day depending on the time of year with autumn being peak traffic time due to the grain harvest.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
About 1,000' from the old Wisconsin Central / CN / Metra North Central line. Some reasonably heavy traffic on a daily basis.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
About 1.5 miles from a spur used by BNSF to park unused ore cars, and about 4 miles from the UP tracks through the Royal Gorge, now used only to deliver coal to the Canon City power plant, and by the Royal Gorge Scenic Railway. Maybe 4 miles to the spur line into the old Cotter Uranium Refinery, which is still in caretaker status.

Half a mile from the nearest old railway grade to the former coal mines, less to the old trestle bridge, now filled in across the canyon and called "Trestle Street".
4 miles from the UP, and and about 3 miles from the light rail.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
'bout 1/4 mile . Some folks in my "burbs" complain about the loco horn but I barely notice it . I wish I had more interest in modern diesels pulling a gazillion container cars but I don't ......now if it was steam !!! Thumbsup

Terry
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
About 2 miles from R J Corman's Central Kentucky line (former L&N) - about 2 trains a day!

20 minutes in either direction gets me to either the NS Cincinnati-Chattanooga line (50+ trains a day) or the NS Danville-Kansas City line - (15+ trains a day)

Prefer to spent 45 minutes and go to Danville, KY where I can catch all the trains on and off both lines.

Also about 45-60 minutes from the CSX in Paris or Louisville (also Paducah & Louisville and Louisville & Indiana), but not much action on those lines.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
About 3 miles away. Used to be you could hear a few trains a day servicing the line that ran from the Port of Brownsville to a small UP yard just this side of the border. There were a few clients along this line, principally (I think..) a Home Depot store and a few smaller customers. That yard has been ripped out, as well as the line leading out of B'ville to the north. The only link to the Big World is a line running from the Port to the UP line that heads out of town.

Surprisingly enough, I did see a train heading south on this line a few days back. First in many months... Nope
Gus (LC&P).
I live about a 1/4 mile away from NS Sandusky line but,I can still see the trains make out the locomotives and freight car types-they look like HO from about 8' away.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
As the crow flies, I'm only about a 1/4 to a 1/2 mile from a rail line that Go Trains (Toronto area commuter trains) and the occasional CNR freight use. You can view this line but you have to scramble down a steep hill into part of the Don Valley and then walk along a very eroded trail! I've done it a couple times with my sons but it's not too easy, takes time & you can get muddy!

Further to the south, we're about 1.5 or so from the Lake Shore Line which is used by Go, VIA and CNR freights. However, if you drive for 15 minutes or so to the southeast, you arrive at a really nice pedestrian bridge (also next to a park & playground) where you can get a great view of this line.

I'm currently on holiday in Winchester, England visiting my wife's family. We're also near a pedestrian train bridge where I often take my sons & nephews to. It's probably only about 1.5 miles away but we usually walk there, which takes about 30 minutes.
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
We live about a 1/4 mile from a new opened single track commuter line (S61 of the Stuttgart commuter network). The second track is a freight line mainly feeding the Mercedes plant in Sindelfingen.
Reinhard
The former RF&P is like...maybe a hundred feet away. I think my vertical distance (tenth floor apartment) is greater than the horizontal distance.
550' from the Indiana & Ohio...2-3 trains per night. This was once a very busy double tracked B&O mainline, the original route of the Cincinnatian with its streamlined 4-6-2s.

1950' away is the Loveland Bike Trail...built in the 1830s as the Little Miami RR...later the PRR's double tracked Panhandle line. The premier train was one of the PRR's "Blue Ribbon" trains, the Cincinnati Limited, which regularly saw T-1s.

I live on a hill at least 100' above the railroads (and the Little Miami River), and it is about a mile drive to get to them accordingly.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
here is a shot from the back yard of my other house. I still own it. The tracks are in the back yard.
I hear the trains more now that I am a mile away, but can't look out the window and see them.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

I live less than a mile from the Pemberton Industrial Track. The tracks end well west of Pemberton in Mount Holly, NJ. There is a local every other week day that is usually run by either an NS or CSX pair of GP38-2s or GP40-2s.

20 minutes West is the NJ Transit Riverline Light rail / Bordentown Branch. This is actually the southern end of the Camden & Amboy, one of North America's earliest railroad lines. Some local freight moves over the Bordentown branch at night.

20 minutes South from my home is the PATCO High-Speed Line and NJ Transit's Atlantic City Line. Both take advantage of the former Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines tracks in the area, and run together from Haddonfield to Lindenwold. A little farther South is the parallel former Reading freight line to Southern NJ, which still handles CSAO freights.

40 minutes North of me is the Northease Corridor in Trenton, NJ.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
I live on an island. The nearest active tracks are CN (formerly Grand Trunk Pacific) and are an 80 mile ferry ride away in the port of Prince Rupert. There used to be logging trains here but were shut down decades ago.